Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2009 7:38:48 PM EDT
The mower in question is a older Craftsman riding mower with a 18.5 intec Briggs and Stratton engine.  When started, the mower does not have the ability to spin the engine thru compression but will start with a jump start from a vehicle.  The battery was replaced and had the same symptoms as before the battery change.

P.S. I have repaired the mower so I know what the problem was...
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Corroded/bad contacts at battery or starter, next check would be starter/ground?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Valve adjustment.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Corroded/bad contacts at battery or starter, next check would be starter/ground?

Cleaned the starter contacts and ground, same result...

BTW there seems to be 4 parts replaced before the actual problem is found unless someone tells you what the problem is... google is your friend.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Valve adjustment.

We have a winner!!!!  these engines have the intake valve slightly open thru compression as a compression release so that the starter can spin the engine over.  I would have gone thru the complete cycle if I hadn't found out online about adjusting the valves.  What I've heard, the standard routine is change the battery first, then the starter, then the starter relay, then the battery cables, when it's the valves all the time...
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Since all of the experts are in tonight, here is my problem. I too have a Craftsman riding mower. After I turn the key the engine will keep running for about fifteen seconds before it shuts off. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#6]
yep valve adjustement.  had a big thread with louisiana carry on this exact same problem a few weeks ago

ETA: oh i get it.  its one of those threads.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Since all of the experts are in tonight, here is my problem. I too have a Craftsman riding mower. After I turn the key the engine will keep running for about fifteen seconds before it shuts off. Any ideas?

what engine is on it and do you have a wiring diagram for it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:12:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Check your gas cap, I have heard that if the vent gets plugged, the engine will pull a vaccuum in the tank starving the engine for fuel in about that time frame.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check your gas cap, I have heard that if the vent gets plugged, the engine will pull a vaccuum in the tank starving the engine for fuel in about that time frame.

Vaporlock seems to take about 15 minutes to set in, and its not his problem.  His problem is the mower isnt shutting off when he turns it off.  Not knowing anything about craftsmans since we dont work on them, im willing to bet its got a separate kill relay thats not working
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vaporlock seems to take about 15 minutes to set in, and its not his problem.  His problem is the mower isnt shutting off when he turns it off.  Not knowing anything about craftsmans since we dont work on them, im willing to bet its got a separate kill relay thats not working

Sorry ARkie, I should have worded my statement better. I think EFB16ACRX is right.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:29:49 PM EDT
[#11]
do you have a wiring diagram for the mower?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
do you have a wiring diagram for the mower?

Yes, but I'll have to look for it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a real easy one for you guys.. I have a 1985 John Deere 330 that when i turn off the key the engine will not shut off.. It just keeps running like nothing happened...
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:45:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a real easy one for you guys.. I have a 1985 John Deere 330 that when i turn off the key the engine will not shut off.. It just keeps running like nothing happened...

im assuming its a diesel and not possessed
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

im assuming its a diesel and not possessed

Its both...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top