Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/28/2009 3:46:11 PM EDT
Relatively new neighbors, moved in just down the street a couple years ago. Husband + wife + the oldest kid walking down the street, I'm out on the edge of my property smoking a butt, offer a wave and "hi how's it going?"

Rather than a greeting I get nasty looks and silence

What kind of shit is that? I'd be the first one on the street to help somebody out if some shit hit the fan... but not if I'm treated like that. Now when their house is being robbed and the wife and kids raped and killed I'm just gonna grab a beer and a lawnchair and watch. Fuck 'em.

I've been drinking and having a bad day and that just rubbed me completely wrong. All the neighbors that've lived here for a good long while are reasonably friendly. I'm not looking for new friends, but you don't have to treat me like I don't belong in my fucking neighborhood.

Now I want to confront 'em and ask if there's an issue I wasn't aware of or what the fucking problem is. Am I just overreacting?

ETA: Now I wonder if it's because I'm in and out of here carrying guns on a regular basis. Probably fucking Massholechusetts transplants.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:49:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Usually people on the east coast are so friendly!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Usually people on the east coast are so friendly!

Fair point. Honestly though I've found most native NHians are pretty decent & friendly people. This shit caught me by surprise.

...but like I said, I've been drinking, and probably overreacting. I should just expect people to be fucking useless.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#3]
People are acting like d-bags around here too.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:52:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Drink some more whiskey then go over there and confront them.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Good plan, should I bring a couple rifles?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:54:53 PM EDT
[#7]
there ya go
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#8]
They'd probably rather die than live freely.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#9]
A drinker, eh?  Do you remember if you had pants on or was your crank hanging out?  Maybe leering a bit much?  Just trying to help bring peace and happiness to your hood.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I got a couple snooty neighbors. I waved one time and they just turned away. I was flipping them the bird when they looked back to see if the "hillbilly" was still there. I dont give a rats ass if my neighbors like me or not.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Zing a few rounds over their heads next time and then yell "Can you hear me now?"  in a joking manner of course.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Maybe they were a little put off buy the smoking drunk hanging out on the curb? Did you ever stop to think about how you may have appeared to them?

I'm dressed reasonably nice (better than they were), wasn't drunk at all (yet) at that point and no alcohol visible, no curb for what that's worth (I'm sorta out in the woods, though there's still plenty of neighbors), and this being the New Hampshire woods, everybody smokes except the yuppie transplants. I don't think I appeared too uncouth.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#13]
you proly smell like but
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I got a couple snooty neighbors. I waved one time and they just turned away. I was flipping them the bird when they looked back to see if the "hillbilly" was still there. I dont give a rats ass if my neighbors like me or not.

I guess I don't either, it just struck me really wrong. Like I said, I really don't need new friends, I just can't imagine going out of my way to be a dick to my neighbors. Never know when they might save your ass.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I avoid drunk smokers as well.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
there ya go

I have better neighbors on ARFcom anyway...
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
there ya go

I have better neighbors on ARFcom anyway...

Hey Dude!

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

In Texas? Surely you're joking. I thought everybody in Texas lived on fluffy clouds, rode unicorns and shat rainbows.

Cada persona de Texas que he encontrado nunca ha sido un bolso del dick (in the official language of Texas).

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Same shit different zip code my friend. Confront them?...nope.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Some people are just assholes. I've got some people down the street with a well manicured lawn and flower beds but they think nothing of letting their two little dogs off the leash to piss on my lawn leaving yellow spots. I caught the woman who is in her 50's and should have learned a little respect by now with her dogs and very politely asked her to keep them off my lawn and she still lets them use my lawn for their toilet. Her and her husband are both what one would consider effite eliteists rather than good ole boys and don't seem to much give a good gosh damn about anybody but themselves.
Some people are just assholes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#22]
yuppie transplants=new uppity non-smoking-save-the-planet neighbors.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Texas? Surely you're joking. I thought everybody in Texas lived on fluffy clouds, rode unicorns and shat rainbows.

Cada persona de Texas que he encontrado nunca ha sido un bolso del dick (in the official language of Texas).

I live in Austin, which is infested with libtards and moonbats.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Same shit different zip code my friend. Confront them?...nope.

Yeah, having simmered down and thought it over, better to just treat 'em like I've been treated
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:09:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Where you wearing pants?  Last time this happened you didn't have any pants on...
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live in Austin, which is infested with libtards and moonbats.

That explains it then. Austin = The Chicago of Texas.

FWIW the nicest people I have ever met have been in Northern Minnesota. Lived there for three years and the good guy to ass hole ration was better than anywhere else I have been to in this country.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I have some unfriendly neighbors as well. I've lived in my place for 10 years. They moved across the street about 4 years ago. I try to be friendly with all my neighbors.
I don't know how many times I've waved to them (a lot).They have never acknowledged me. They just turn their heads or just stare straight ahead.
I'm the same as  the OP. They better hope they never need any help from me.
I got some of their mail once. Instead of walking across the street I put it back in the mail box with "wrong address" written on it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:12:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Hey Dude!

Howdy! How's it going?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:13:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good for you two, you're perfect for each other.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Where you wearing pants?  Last time this happened you didn't have any pants on...

Next time they walk by I suggest following them along the edge of your property line. Make sure your twig and giggle berries are hanging out of your fly as you do so. Bonus points for whacking your bag while making eye contact with his wife. If that won't win them over then they may be Russian spies afraid to speak for the fear of their accents blowing their cover. If thats the case capture them and hold them prisoner in your basement awaiting further instructions.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#32]
My Dad always says Hi when people walk by are house. Well one day we are working on a car and about 3 times he says Hi to people on the street who are walking by, always in a happy smiling howdy doody mood. Well 3 time he got no responses. So when the forth guy walks by and my dad says Hi and nothing but a look, He yells "Hey Fuck You Too!" The guy turns around with a look on his face like he seen a ghost, and halls ass out of there.

Then for shits and giggles. Two days latter a guy is walking his dog outside the house and it shits in our yard. My dad runs outside and yells "What the Fuck are you doing." The guy looks up like oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. My Dad, "If you don't pick up your dogs shit next time I'm going to kick your ass!" Again the guy halls ass. My dad turns around in frustration and says "I Fucking Hate Liberals!"
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My Dad always says Hi when people walk by are house. Well one day we are working on a car and about 3 times he says Hi to people on the street who are walking by, always in a happy smiling howdy doody mood. Well 3 time he got no responses. So when the forth guy walks by and my dad says Hi and nothing but a look, He yells "Hey Fuck You Too!" The guy turns around with a look on his face like he seen a ghost, and halls ass out of there.

Then for shits and giggles. Two days latter a guy is walking his dog outside the house and it shits in our yard. My dad runs outside and yells "What the Fuck are you doing." The guy looks up like oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. My Dad, "If you don't pick up your dogs shit next time I'm going to kick your ass!" Again the guy halls ass. My dad turns around in frustration and says "I Fucking Hate Liberals!"

Your pops sounds like a man I could get along with.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#34]
What's their screen name I wonder.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Ah, I dunno.  Maybe they were in the middle of a fight.

On the other hand, maybe they're shitheads.  The guy who lives two houses away from me is the unfriendliest cuss in the world.  I can be out working in the front yard and he'll walk past and "not see" me unless I say something.  We had a conversation a few years ago because I recognized the logo on the hat he was wearing, and he got stiff and the conversation ended abruptly.  The logo was for a company that basically does spam e-mail, so maybe he figured I'd outed him and would be bringing the neighborhood over with torches and pitchforks.

(shrug)  Ya can't control how other people are.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They'd probably rather die than live freely.

Poor dumb bastards
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Relatively new neighbors, moved in just down the street a couple years ago. Husband + wife + the oldest kid walking down the street, I'm out on the edge of my property smoking a butt, offer a wave and "hi how's it going?"

What kind of shit is that? I'd be the first one on the street to help somebody out if some shit hit the fan... but not if I'm treated like that. Now when their house is being robbed and the wife and kids raped and killed I'm just gonna grab a beer and a lawnchair and watch. Fuck 'em.

I've been drinking and having a bad day and that just rubbed me completely wrong. All the neighbors that've lived here for a good long while are reasonably friendly. I'm not looking for new friends, but you don't have to treat me like I don't belong in my fucking neighborhood.

Now I want to confront 'em and ask if there's an issue I wasn't aware of or what the fucking problem is. Am I just overreacting?

ETA: Now I wonder if it's because I'm in and out of here carrying guns on a regular basis. Probably fucking Massholechusetts transplants.

This.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Maybe they just havn't adjusted to the relaxed attitude here.

It takes a while to rub out that masshole attitude.

Once they get to listen to the silence instead of the funfire, every night, they will come around.

If not, a couple mag dumps in the back yard will make them

'feel more at home'

Otherwise, put a shirt on, (clean) put your teeth back in,

grab a new 6-pack and a uncrumpled pack of buts,

walk over and 'welcome them to the new neighborhood'.

(before you get shitfaced is usually better )

IMHO YMMV

ps Where are you?

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Sounds like you simply posing as a "nice guy".
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#40]
I moved into my duplex last may , everyone on my side of the block, moved in after me ..I am on a first name basis with everyone on my block, both side of the street. ( ok, except that one guy across the street, he's an asshole & moving out  in a week.. Maybe I will get some hot chicks moving in, but OUR luck it will be Gang banging thugs... The Midwest is a somewhat friendly area.........
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm the nicest guy in the world as long as I'm not shit on. But after reading many of your posts on ARFcom, I'm gonna have to say I don't give much of a shit regarding your opinion of me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

ps Where are you?

Wilton, you?

Possibly moving to Nashua soon for work reasons, unfortunately...
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I tend to aviod, the sober non smokers, they are all snobs

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:31:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm the nicest guy in the world as long as I'm not shit on. But after reading many of your posts on ARFcom, I'm gonna have to say I don't give much of a shit regarding your opinion of me.

Keep kidding yourself. A couple sour looks and they're written off? That's posing, my friend.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep kidding yourself.

Oh, I will. It's my favorite hobby!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

next time wear your captain america suit
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good plan, should I bring a couple rifles?

Yes and extra ammo.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Keep kidding yourself. A couple sour looks and they're written off? That's posing, my friend.

So if I gave you a completely horrible attitude when you tried to be nice, you'd just be jumping at the chance to help me out? Right.

By the way, I wouldn't actually do that, I was just venting. I wouldn't risk life and limb to help them out in any dangerous situation (fire, "hot" robbery, rabid Canadians on the lawn, whatever), either, unlike the neighbors who're nice to me. I'd be a good little sheeple and call the local police. After all, I've been told it's better to let the professionals handle these kinds of things.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Next time you are drinking and smoking and saying "hows it going " to someone....make sure you're fly is up.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So if I gave you a completely horrible attitude when you tried to be nice, you'd just be jumping at the chance to help me out? Right.

Depends: if you dropped your groceries? I'd probably let you handle that yourself.

If your jack failed and your car dropped on top of you? I'd be first on scene.

Like everything else, it's shades of grey.

grow up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top