User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/26/2009 6:06:23 AM EDT
Hey,

Seriously, this is insane:

Only in California

In a move that will likely get California's consumers in a huff, impending legislation may soon restrict the paint color options for Golden State residents looking for their next new vehicle. The specific colors that are currently on the chopping block are all dark hues, with the worst offender seemingly the most innocuous color you could think of: Black. What could California possibly have against these colors, you ask? Apparently, the California Air Resources Board figures that the climate control systems of dark colored cars need to work harder than their lighter siblings – especially after sitting in the sun for a few hours. Anyone living in a hot, sunny climate will tell you that this assumption is accurate, of course. In fact, legislation already exists for buildings that has proven successful at reducing the energy consumption of skyscrapers.

So, what's the crux of the problem... can't paint suppliers just come up with new, less heat-absorbent dark paints? According to Ward's, suppliers have reportedly been testing their pigments and processes to see if it's possible to meet CARB's proposed mandate of 20% solar reflectivity by 2016 with a phase-in period starting in 2012, and things aren't looking good. Apparently, when the proper pigments and chemicals are added to black paint, the resulting color is currently being referred to as "mud-puddle brown." That doesn't sound very attractive, now does it? Windshields, backlights and sunroofs are also slated to get reflective coatings starting in 2012.

When we first heard of this issue, an internal debate immediately began as to whether this might be an elaborate early April Fool's joke, but it isn't. Read through CARB's complete Cool Cars Standards and Test Procedures here (PDF link) for more.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/cc/cool-paints/final_cool_cars_workshop_presentation31209.pdf

This is Madness!

This...is...CALIFORNIA!!

Kevin "Glad I moved."
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:30:17 AM EDT
[#1]
geez   can't we just get rid of California
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:58:38 AM EDT
[#2]
In before the "That's racist crowd".
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:59:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Racists...

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:03:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Evil black cars
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:11:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Just when you think people can't stoop any lower.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:12:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Uhhh, as soon as we get rid of Canada buddy.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:14:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Are they falling into the ocean yet? dammit..... Kalifornia GTFO!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:18:31 AM EDT
[#8]
As usual, they are looking in the wrong direction.

The solution is to reflective-coat all cars.   That would not cause any problems would it?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:18:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I think Mythbusters tested this if I am not mistaken.

Black cars only get hot faster then white cars. Both colored cars will reach the same temp eventually (all other things being equal).

Maybe cars should be covered with Reynolds Wrap. You know, for the children and all that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#10]
If the sheep keep voting Democrap the entire Nation will be governed this way.
Glad I left also.
Sacremento =
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:34:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I think the resale price on my "pre-ban" Jeeps just went up.  Cool.

What amazes me is acceptance of the continuing creep of "over-regulation".  You think about what the developing countries of china and India are doing to the environment regarding the whole global warming thing and the bureaucrats in california are worried about the color of vehicles?

-Gator
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:35:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:37:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep you can have it
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:42:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I think the resale price on my "pre-ban" Jeeps just went up.  Cool.

What amazes me is acceptance of the continuing creep of "over-regulation".  You think about what the developing countries of china and India are doing to the environment regarding the whole global warming thing and the bureaucrats in california are worried about the color of vehicles?

-Gator

Sorry, there is no grandfather clause.

Please report to your nearest vehicle surrender station.  You will be reimbursed at a rate of .25c/lb.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:45:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Fucktard liberals.

They gonna ban black people next?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:47:30 AM EDT
[#16]
When is that gaint earthquake that is suppose to drop California in the Pacific going to happen??????

NOT SOON ENOUGH!
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:47:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Fucktard liberals.

They gonna ban black people next?

No, but they'll have to be Michael Jacksonized.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:50:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:52:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Jesus why is it that every crack pot group or law maker here in Cali that says something stupid is suddenly fact and represents all of California? This will never fly it will never pass and it is stupid attention whoring. I guarantee there is some similarly stupid shit proposal going on in every state. I guarantee that every single state in the US and all of our lil territories has some dipshit group that gets a press release with their stupid positions.

I predict this will be 10 pages of people acting like this is a reality. People will rant about California even though they don't live here and will claim this is a reality even though it is not reality. And never will be.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:54:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Why not outlaw all AC units? or even better, all cars.  It would slow the flow of Californians and illegals out of that fucktard state!
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:56:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Black cars only get hot faster then white cars. Both colored cars will reach the same temp eventually (all other things being equal).

Maybe cars should be covered with Reynolds Wrap. You know, for the children and all that.

You are correct about Mythbusters.
However, you have to take into account the car running its' AC inside while say...   stuck in gridlock on the interstate.
Darker colors absorb heat more readily than lighter colors.  Which means the RATE at which the vehicle is heated is higher than that of lighter colors.  IT also means that the AC will have to work harder to counteract the rate of temperature increase.
So, there you have it.  The reasons are valid.
But it still sucks.  And i doubt if the numbers are significant.

They will be even further reduced when the car next to you is increasing the heat load on your car by reflecting 20% of the energy onto the paint of your vehicle.

So net result?  Not much i'm betting.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:57:36 AM EDT
[#22]
That is the real answer.  Ban AC.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:01:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You would think there is a competent, apolitical scientist or engineer somewhere inside the government works of that increasingly retarded state.

In the mean time, I'll bet some tree huggin', bunny lovin' asshole is either planning or lobbying for a 10 lane interstate.

Besides that, the entire southern half of the state is desert, in case they failed to notice.  It's hot there, even in the shade.

They just haven't gotten around to banning deserts, wise guy.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:02:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Whose we? Your not even in the United States.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:04:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
When is that gaint earthquake that is suppose to drop California in the Pacific going to happen??????

NOT SOON ENOUGH!

Well we could just split the nation at the Rockies. I am sure most of us out West would welcome the release from the East Coast/South/Mid West.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:05:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You are correct about Mythbusters.

However, you have to take into account the car running its' AC inside while say...   stuck in gridlock on the interstate.

Darker colors absorb heat more readily than lighter colors.  Which means the RATE at which the vehicle is heated is higher than that of lighter colors.  IT also means that the AC will have to work harder to counteract the rate of temperature increase.

So, there you have it.  The reasons are valid.

But it still sucks.  And i doubt if the numbers are significant.

They will be even further reduced when the car next to you is increasing the heat load on your car by reflecting 20% of the energy onto the paint of your vehicle.

So net result?  Not much i'm betting.

See, much ado about nothing. Just political grandstanding. Maybe we will get soem new types of paint out of it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:06:18 AM EDT
[#27]

But wait a minute.....if a black car is hotter, won't the air particles surrounding the car be heated, thereby providing less resistance and better fuel economy???  I think that California should require all cars to be black.

See, stupid can work in either direction.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:13:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Are they falling into the ocean yet? dammit..... Kalifornia GTFO!!!!!!

YEA!!! Let's hope for the death of 10s of millions!!!! Whatta guy. Any relation to Amin, Stalin, Hitler or others that like their opposition better when they are dead?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#29]
LMAO@ people not in California feigning anger at this non starter issue.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:25:38 AM EDT
[#30]
California is falling apart at the seams, thay are passing out iou's for tax refunds, they announced that thay dont have enough capital available to make welfare checks next month and they are seriously wasting their time on shit like this!   Stupid is as stupid does !

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:32:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Its kind of like yelling at someone when they know the person can't do anything.
Or maybe like whistling past the graveyard. Only false bravado bolsters their courage. They know its coming but figure yelling at California will make it all go away.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:48:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That is the real answer.  Ban AC  volcanoes .

a single volcano can put out more in 1 eruption than we put out as a species per year

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:51:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its kind of like yelling at someone when they know the person can't do anything.
Or maybe like whistling past the graveyard. Only false bravado bolsters their courage. They know its coming but figure yelling at California will make it all go away.

or....

"Let's all fixate on 0.0017% of the taxpayer bailout. Let's all get good and worked up over that.

Maybe then we will all forget about the other 99.9983% of our money that the government stole from us."

The whole country is feigning anger at the wrong stuff......
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:54:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Ok now that is racist
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:55:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

or....

"Let's all fixate on 0.0017% of the taxpayer bailout. Let's all get good and worked up over that.

Maybe then we will all forget about the other 99.9983% of our money that the government stole from us."

The whole country is feigning anger at the wrong stuff......

Touche'
As gun owners we better get our shit together instead of playing school yard games of "My States better than your State".
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Chrome cars FTW!

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:58:02 AM EDT
[#37]
LOL, pre ban paint...

CA is already retarded about buying paint, its going to get worse.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:13:54 AM EDT
[#38]
OMG not the black cars! If they're allowed to get away with this then they'll come for the browns, then the yellows, then the reds.

Then they will come for the whites.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Rush just said something about telling the powers that be in CA "I will only drive my car at night... now what are you going to do?".... hahahaha
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#40]
If I am not mistaken dark colors absorb the light while light colors reflect it. If we are going to get all technical about colors wouldn’t a light color car contribute to it being hotter in the area outside around the car? Wouldn’t this kind of heat have an effect on global warming? I think we should seriously consider the fact that many of these environmentalists have lost their minds and it’s not just the environmentalist.  Something bad is in the water and it seems worse in the CA and DC areas.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#41]

At the 2009 Auto Show here they had a chrome Subaru Legacy concept car.

Hell, I'd buy one.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:49:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

NOT SOON ENOUGH!

Arizona Bay  

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

At the 2009 Auto Show here they had a chrome Subaru Legacy concept car.

Hell, I'd buy one.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg242/stockshift/2009%20Auto%20Show/SubaruLegacyConceptLarge.jpg

THAT is smooth. Damn.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:54:58 AM EDT
[#44]

Why stop at cars? Why not presidents too?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Why not ban black people?  They are likely to have their climate control set a few degrees cooler

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Screw all of you!

It...it's for our own good!
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 10:00:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If I am not mistaken dark colors absorb the light while light colors reflect it. If we are going to get all technical about colors wouldn’t a light color car contribute to it being hotter in the area outside around the car? Wouldn’t this kind of heat have an effect on global warming? I think we should seriously consider the fact that many of these environmentalists have lost their minds and it’s not just the environmentalist.  Something bad is in the water and it seems worse in the CA and DC areas.

Black cars will radiate the heat, while white cars will reflect some and radiate some.

Carb is just out of their MF minds and you can expect the disease to spread like herpes.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Why stop at cars? Why not presidents too?

OH No you di'int!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#49]
This is why the state of california *NEEDS* to go bankrupt.

The fact that our tax dollars (and I mean our, because the rest of you sucka's in other states are bailing us out, thanks in no small part to your dear leader that we elected) are paying the salaries of the bureaucrats that are dreaming this stuff up means that there is still way too much fat, pork and excess in the state government.

-Gator
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#50]
*Message to all the good guys stuck behind enemy lines in CA*

Please move away from that fucked up state and go to a battle ground state where your votes and opinions make a difference.  There are enough of you that if you did this we could PERMANENTLY affect every presidential election from here on out....

And bring IN-N-OUT burger with you!!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top