Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2002 4:25:39 PM EDT
I planning on replacing all the molding in my home.To speed things along I want to get a air nailer. What is the best air tool to attach the molding? Brad nailer or finish nailer??
Can someone explain what they are generally used for and what the differences are.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:11:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Brads are usually 18 gauge while finish nailers use either 15 or 16 gauge nails.

Basically, brads are great for doing small and fine wordworking stuff (cabinet making, picture frames...somewhere the stresses will be less).  Finishing nails are heavier and typically longer 2.5" vs. 2" and will hold more weight.  

Just to confuse things, 15 & 16 gauge finishing nails are called "brads" by some manufacturers.  If you check out the nail gun literature, you'll find they recommend finishing nails for trim, door jambs, floor molding, crown molding, chair rails and most anything you'll be doing inside your house.

Check out the Paslode nailers, high neat quotient and they work great...and no compressors.  Got a new 250 Finish Nailer on Ebay for $235 so you can get good prices and then sell it when you're done for what you paid for it.  Good luck, measure twice, cut once, swear and then cut it correctly the second time.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Just get the Ceiner 8 penny conversion for your AR.  It comes with a 200 rnd pre-ban mag.  Your local gunsmith can work up a .112 chambered upper.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#3]
i build houses for a living and have had most brands, at one time. the paslode cordless trim nailers work great for casework but for brad nailing keep it simple, if you already have a air compressor the bostich pinner or nailer are the best for the money and has worked for several years already. but to do the best job you'll really need both. feel free to e-mail for anymore quest.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#4]
If at all possible try to lap pieces and mark rather than measure. It is much faster and more accurate. Air nailers are better for the long term, and Paslode is great for punchlist items. Look at the Senco line, like a slp 20 in brad nailer and a sfn40 or similar model. Smooth and adjustable depth on the nosepiece. Also, when entering a room the wall infront of you should have the butt end cuts and the sides should be coped to it. Keeps you from looking into the joint as you enter the rooms, just use your eye and common sense for the rest.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Gotta' agree with Acco, I use a little Bostich brad nailer, tough, cheap and they work great (even after you drop them off the roof), just get one with the biggest range of brad length you can find.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I have realized how much info and great people there are willing to answer questions,any questions on this board. you are great people. I appriciate the help.Finish nailer it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top