Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2002 10:40:28 AM EDT
My wife just went in to renew her CO driver's license, and from the sounds of it, they took her fingerprint along with her picture.  I've never heard of this before.  Is this standard practice nowadays?

She said that they have you put your right index finger on a small box with a red light under it.  I've seen stuff that looks like this for fingerprint verification for computer logins, so I'm assuming they somehow captured an image of the fingerprint at that time.

Not that I've got a tinfoil hat on or anything, but it just seems like there is no other logical explanation for fingerprinting other than the "Big Brother Database."

She said that she was so amazed at getting through the line in under two minutes, that she didn't think twice about it, so I'm not sure if this was mandatory or optional at this point.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#1]
In CA they require a right thumbprint since 94. I just got my TX DL last Mar. and they required a right thumprint as well. Don't know how long TX has required that though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I think all of the states are trying to upgrade the state driver's licenses, i.e. make harder to counterfiet etc. In Calif. we also have to supply our SSN. I think the combination of SSN and state DL is going to be the standard for a national id at some point.

It sucks because the state miskeyed mine(reversing the 2 middle digits somehow), and it took me months to get it straighten out. The Calif. DMV verifies the name and SSN # against the Social Security Administration's name and number and everything had better match exactly or your're screwed. I used my middle initial in my SSN name, but my Calif DL had none, another trip to the Social Security office. So big brother is coming sooner than you think.

The main motivation for the SSN # was to track down deadbeat dads, or so that's what the Calif govt told the sheeple.  For me, it is another way for the govt to track you.  If they wanted to find your whole life story, just get your SSN and go to TRW etc, and your life is like an open book, if they really wanted to look.

For some of the folks, on this board that  are  a lot younger than I; SSN number was never a  form of id and you could put any name your heart desires on it, at some point a fews ago, that philosophy changed.

WELCOME TO THE BRAVE NEW WORLD.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 12:16:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Georgia slipped this in at the last moment a couple of years ago.  Now, when I go through roadside checks, I always ask if they are going to check my fingerprints also.[IMG]http://www.3dpcgame.com/cwm/s/contrib/dvv/po.gif[/IMG]

Just another reason Governor "Barney" is going to have find another job come relection time.

[IMG]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/aahmed/sad.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Well this will ALL be rendered obsolete soon so don't worry.  

When they install the chip in your right hand or your forehead, you won't have to worry about fingerprints, retinal scans, face recognition scans, electronic signatures or driver,s licenses or SS cards.

Link Posted: 1/5/2002 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Well this will ALL be rendered obsolete soon so don't worry.  

When they install the chip in your right hand or your forehead, you won't have to worry about fingerprints, retinal scans, face recognition scans, electronic signatures or driver,s licenses or SS cards.

View Quote

thats right ill either be dead or in a civil war..
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#6]
In Illinois the picture they take is using this new face mapping technology.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, if you have a carry permit you've already got a nice little file in D.C. anyway.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I know Colorado has been doing that for at least the last 5 years.  The print is superimposed over the picture.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 3:29:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, if you have a carry permit you've already got a nice little file in D.C. anyway.
View Quote

Or if you were ever in the military. Or have any need to be licensed or bonded for your job. Or have a SSN. Or own a Class 3. Or applied for any type of school grant. Basically if you ever lived life a normal adult, there is a file for you somewhere that is easily accessible. So not to worry, they've got your number. And if you have a toll booth card in your car, GPS and/or the new fangled XM radio. Those things have a small hidden chip in em that allows "them" to track you as you go about your business.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Or if you were ever in the military. Or have any need to be licensed or bonded for your job. Or have a SSN. Or own a Class 3. Or applied for any type of school grant. Basically if you ever lived life a normal adult, there is a file for you somewhere that is easily accessible. So not to worry, they've got your number.
View Quote

OT: If you have a loan for your house, someone told me that the banks are required to keep records of the loan for 30 years after its paid off.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 4:50:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Or if you were ever in the military. Or have any need to be licensed or bonded for your job. Or have a SSN. Or own a Class 3. Or applied for any type of school grant. Basically if you ever lived life a normal adult, there is a file for you somewhere that is easily accessible. So not to worry, they've got your number. And if you have a toll booth card in your car, GPS and/or the new fangled XM radio. Those things have a small hidden chip in em that allows "them" to track you as you go about your business.
View Quote

Same thing if you've gotten any new credit cards in the last few yrs.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:27:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It sucks because the state miskeyed mine(reversing the 2 middle digits somehow), and it took me months to get it straighten out. The Calif. DMV verifies the name and SSN # against the Social Security Administration's name and number and everything had better match exactly or your're screwed. I used my middle initial in my SSN name, but my Calif DL had none, another trip to the Social Security office. So big brother is coming sooner than you think.

View Quote

I specifically asked for a different number on my DL.  Why on Earth would you want your SSN on you DL?  

Edited to add:  No fingerprint requirement for DLs in Virginia.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I specifically asked for a different number on my DL.  Why on Earth would you want your SSN on you DL?  

Edited to add:  No fingerprint requirement for DLs in Virginia.
View Quote

The govt "claims" it wanted to track down dead-beat dads who skip out in their child support payments. But personally I don't buy it.  Once the the govt has your DL# and SSN.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top