Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2001 9:09:51 PM EDT
We have all eaten many more MREs that we care to admit.  What is the best tasting MRE entree?

I need to buy a few more cases and would sure appreciate feedback on more recent MRE entrees.

Feel free to comment on best dessert, best side, best accessory pak.

Off to the lighthouse...

... watchman
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Country Chicken. Like a whole chicken breast in a stew. Comes with great accesories also. comes packed in case A meals 1-12

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey Aviator,
Now I remember why I respected you on the old board.

... watchman
Patty Hearst,****, heard the burst,****, of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I would have to go with the chicken chow mein
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:24:48 PM EDT
[#4]
i like beef ravoili.  ate many a MRE in saudi arabia!  i have 2 cases right now im sittin on.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Beef Mac has got to be one of the best.I can honestly say the Turkey smells the worst when spoiled though.Brought in vulchers within 10 mins.Gotta love that AZ wildlife :)
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#6]
The Current MRE Main Entree Menus Contain The Following:

*Beef with Mushrooms
*Beans with Pork & Noodles
*Beef & Bean Ranchero
*Beef Frankfurters
*Beef Patties
*Beef Stew
*Black Bean & Rice Burrito
*Veggie & Beef Stew
*Cheese Tortellini
*Chicken & Rice
*Chicken & Rice Pilaf
*Chili with Macaroni
*Jamaican Pork Chop
*Grilled Chicken Breast
*Pasta w/Veggies in Alfredo Sauce
*Country Captain Chicken
*Beef teryaki
*Ministrone Stew
*Spaghetti w/Meat Sauce
*Pork Chow Mien
*BBQ Pork & Rice
*Red Beans & Rice
*Meatloaf w/Gravy
*Thai Chcken
*Beef Ravioli

Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, if they had a category on ESPN for MRE experts you guys would be it!

... watchman
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 10:30:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Country Chicken. Like a whole chicken breast in a stew. Comes with great accesories also. comes packed in case A meals 1-12

View Quote

Now I just knew you would be posting on this - I didn't figure you would the first poster though.  

To Aviator MRE's aren't just a treat, they're a a way of life[:D]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 10:43:08 PM EDT
[#9]
My #1 entree, Chili Mac!(With the whole little bottle of Tabasco)

Dessert? Lemon Pound cake.

Crackers with grape jam is great too.

Sherm

The "Grilled Beefsteak, Chunked and Formedwith gril marks" smells like ALPO, my dogs loved it.

Does anyone actually eat the four fingers of death? I made that mistake once. Once! Never again.

You want funny? We repacked an MRE case with 12 Ham Slice MREs. They were a little pissed. At the end of the day, there's alway plenty of ham slice and tuna noodle to go around. I'd sooner starve.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Aviator, you left out the bean & rice burrito.  Not bad, actually, if you use the whole bottle of tabasco.  My favorite is the cheese tortellini.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:01:36 AM EDT
[#12]
DAMN, they've changed! "Cheeze tortellini?" WTF?! What happened to the good old "Beef Patty?"
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:42:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Back in the day, I liked the freeze dried pork patties. Tasted like the breakfast sausage.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 1:17:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Ha..you guys should have eaten C-Rats...who needs dysentary
Though when we got the first LRRP Rats..(granddaddy of the MREs) we would gladly eat them uncooked...very crunchy ..slurp down some water and let them reconstitute in your gut ...shit in your pants ..and charlie mike
ah thats why I buy Mountain House entres these days ..or just phone in a Medevac and have em bring you a pizza!
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 1:31:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Ham Slice!!! Good cold or hot...
I loved the oat meal cookies...

If I knew where to get these, Id still eate them...

Cg..

USN Seabee..
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 2:21:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:31:12 AM EDT
[#17]
"best tasting MRE", that's like an Oxymoron, isn't it??  [;)]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:34:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
... watchman
Patty Hearst,****, heard the burst,****, of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it.
View Quote

LOVE THE SIG!!! Warren Zevon is da' MAN!!!

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:39:32 AM EDT
[#19]
had to respond to this one, having eaten my share of this fine military cuisine. (and hey, whatever happened to chicken a la king? didnt see it on above list.)  

my favorite:

package of chicken a la king. pour slimy contents in your canteen cup. pour all the tabasco sauce you can find in as well. light up a can of sterno. place cup above flame til slime turns soupy. enjoy.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:46:08 AM EDT
[#20]
[url]www.longlifefood.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 5:32:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Its been awhile since i had one but the chicken ala king was the least gross.Dont know why but in my unit the ham slices were the favorite.Saw a fistfight once over the only ham slice in the case after the dude humped half mile each way to get our squads case.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 5:57:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 6:00:12 AM EDT
[#23]
The best tasting MRE? Easy, same as the best tasting C-ration (I was in when we swithced over), It's the one you didn't get. They all suck.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Wow, you guys are true MRE food critics.

Anyway, I heard back from the Wornick guys on the date codes for MREs:

Chicken Stew    7197M1 1 2AA2 = 197 day of 1997
Grilled Chicken Breast  7093B1 1 8AF5 = 093 day of 1997
Beef Steak      7052B1 1 6A65 = 052 day of 1997

... watchman
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 10:26:51 AM EDT
[#25]
I'll have to admit that in 7 yrs, 2mos, and 25 days active I never had a C, K, or MRE.

However food on the Subs was some time lacking too.

I remember the week we only had steak "three times."
[smoke]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Beef stew!!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, I'd have to say it was a toss-up for me.  either:

Hawaiian Ono, Ginger and Scallion, Seared with Soft Shell Crab, with Black Opal Rice, Pineapple, and Roasted Sweet Pepper Broth

or:

New York Strip, Angus Dry-Aged, Pancetta, Gold Potato, Alba Clamshell Mushrooms, Roasted Garlic, Caramelized Pearl Onions, and Port Wine Sauce

I must admit, I sure got tired of that steady diet of fresh fish, beef, pork, fowl, fish, beek, pork, fowl, ....

[}:D]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 10:42:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 12:02:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
had to respond to this one, having eaten my share of this fine military cuisine. (and hey, whatever happened to chicken a la king? didnt see it on above list.)  

my favorite:

package of chicken a la king. pour slimy contents in your canteen cup. pour all the tabasco sauce you can find in as well. light up a can of sterno. place cup above flame til slime turns soupy. enjoy.
View Quote
Man, you got to be the only guy who ever wore a US uniform who liked the "Chicken Ala Puke."
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#30]
the only MRE i dont like is the damn  hotdogs [puke] everything else is good
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#31]
The biggest thing that can be done to improve MREs is to heat them. I have listened to many guys bitch about the taste of these things and most often they eat them cold. The newer MREs come with the chemical/water activated heaters but many guys are too rushed/lazy to use them. This doesn't count the younger guys who use the heater elements to make pop bottle bombs.

As far as which is best, I really don't have a favorite, but certain parts of various types are really  not bad at all. Someone mention the rice side dish, I like the Ham Slice, Chow Mien, Cheese Tortillini, and the Tuna Casserole.

Most of them beat the hell out of the old "C" rations and the latest issue of MREs is way ahead of the original issue in taste.

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#33]
 It's been awhile.  They didn't have heaters or hot sauce in em' when I was active in the mid 80's.  They probably don't make this one anymore.  My absolute favorite was ham and chicken loaf.  For some reason I could always trade for it.  I'd flake some of that loaf off on one of those industrial crackers and maybe put some of that cheese spread stuff on it if I had some left over.  Oh man am I hungry.  I miss Germany.

Bruce
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Beef stew was my favorite.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Best tastin' MRE is likely the one you [i]don't[/i] have with you.[:D]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:46:50 PM EDT
[#36]
who remembers the c-rats, beans and baby dicks?
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#37]
BEEF STEW!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 2:34:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
who remembers the c-rats, beans and baby dicks?
View Quote
My fav C-rats were Beans & meatballs, or spaghetti.  Best dessert...pound cake.  Chocolate nut roll was great, too, but it took 2 canteens of water to get it down.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:20:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Ate C's & MRE (a boat load), never thought they were to bad as long as you had lots of hot sause. The tuna with a top ramen mixed up in the canteen cup was killer. Always thought the "LRRP" rations were the best if you had lots of water. Does anyone know if the GI type LRRP ration is still made? If yes , who makes it? I have had Mt. House meals and they just don't have that taste I am looking for.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#40]
O'yea , The old c-rat Pound Cake rules !!!! Make up your cooca mix into a paste and pour on top. Hell , I think I am going to go reenlist just for the chow.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Let me tell you what does suck. That SH*T they call a "T-Ration". Stands for tray ration. Large pan meal made to feed bunch of folks.     That CRAP made me throw up every time I ate it, no shit !! I mean I really threw up. Got so bad one time out at NTC the medic said they were going to evac me if I keap chunking up. Took about 4 T-Rat dinners for me to figure out that I was fine , it was the T-Rat. Never ate them again.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Ranger pudding...

Take the left over crap...  Open up the crackers.  Pour in the powdered coffee cream, sugar and cocoa mix.  Then add a little water a stir it up.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Let me tell you what does suck. That SH*T they call a "T-Ration". Stands for tray ration. Large pan meal made to feed bunch of folks.     That CRAP made me throw up every time I ate it, no shit !! I mean I really threw up. Got so bad one time out at NTC the medic said they were going to evac me if I keap chunking up. Took about 4 T-Rat dinners for me to figure out that I was fine , it was the T-Rat. Never ate them again.
View Quote
Yeah, they ARE bad.  Especially the "camouflaged" turkey, and the bread pudding with ham.  The macaroni & cheese is ok, but most of the rest of it sucks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:55:08 PM EDT
[#44]
The only MRE I think I remember is the beef stew. Wasn't that the one we called the baby diaper? Now for the C-rats, My favorite was the ham and eggs in the can. You gotta love that peanut butter and grape jelly too.

Wasn't there a saying about staying regular? Eat the peanut butter and you can't take a dump until you eat the grape jelly, then you can't stop until you eat that peanut butter again. Oh yea I remember that boot heal or beef patty too.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#45]
You can't forget the breakfasts...

I honestly liked the scrambled eggs and corned beef hash with tobasco.   Those MRE poptarts were cool, too.

I remember the scalloped potatoes being good, and chix chow mein, as far as main meals.

Mint chocolate poundcake was a pretty good dessert too.

Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#46]
No matter what it is, to me it all tastes like catfood.

I have had Australian 24hr packs, 1 mans, 5 mans, and 10 mans too. I have had US MREs C, K, and T rats, UK ratpacks, German ratpacks, and Canadian IRPs and IMPs too.

The overall best would have to be the Australian 5 and 10 man ratpacks, suplimented with fresh loaves of bread too. The worst are the German ones. Thought I was opening tins of Sheba. A close second for the worst is the Australian 24 hr jobs and the 1 man'ers. Cat food heaven, and my cat won't even have a sniff at 'em.

We have a fridge in our Armourer's GMV (6X6 Land Rover portable wksp), and we always have fresh rations which we buy, so there is never a shortage of bacon, eggs, sasuage, steaks etc, and oh yes cold milk for the tea too. Of course we eat the 5 man'er and 10 man'ers when we gotta, but that fridge sure is nice, especially when is 45C and sunny out.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#47]
I was in during the late 70's-early 80's, ate both C's and early MRE's. Liked the ham and eggs in C rats, Did not care for the early MRE's at all. I missed out on the fancy new MRE's with heaters. Can somebody explain what an MRE bomb is exactly? I assume it involves the MRE heater packs. TIA
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#48]
The MRE bombs are usually a few heater packs contents smushed into a plastic bottle of some kind with a little water, then sealed up.  
Usually you snuck up to a buddy and put it near him without him noticing.  A minute or so later it would blow up and scare the bejeezus out of him.  The guys I worked with never seemed to get tired of doing this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top