Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2009 1:49:56 PM EDT
What do you think about these?  Less secure than electronic key pad?  I would imagine the life span would be much shorter because the electronics would give out one day.  It seems like a good looking safe.

It is more expensive than its counterparts it seems, but I don't know a whole lot about small safes.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=342854&pCatg=6983
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#1]
What if I lose my finger?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I would be hesitant to trust my valuables, and possibly my life, to a cheap Chinese fingerprint EPROM.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Not necessarily that model, but the concept.  If there is a knockoff, there is an one that is quality product.  What about the concept?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#4]

I work in the computer field and have one of these for my computer.

No way I would trust my life on it

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Gotcha.  I was curious because I know you can buy a USB one for like 30 bucks or something like that.  What about advancements in that technology.  It says a lot that the technology has hit the common market, along w/ retinal and iris scan tech. What kind of tech development time before it is the quickest.  5 years?  10? 25?  It would seem very easy to widely integrate the technology.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#6]
The power is out because its SHTF time.. They don't work for Crap when cold... What now??  Edit,, your from Al,,, nevermind,,  how about a humidity problem???  Get one with a Dial, good enough for Grandpa!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#7]
What kind of life span is expected on electronic key pad technology?  How long before they go tits up?  I know a dial will last, however, I'm curious about the others if for nothing other than the sake of knowing.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You could probably use a different finger, but even then you have a backup key right, not necessarily on this one..in theory you could program all of your fingers.  I would.  If you loose all your fingers, your probably in bad shape as is.  I suppose you could turn a dial w/ your nubs or your feet or mouth...might be hard to use a key.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Gotcha.  I was curious because I know you can buy a USB one for like 30 bucks or something like that.  What about advancements in that technology.  It says a lot that the technology has hit the common market, along w/ retinal and iris scan tech. What kind of tech development time before it is the quickest.  5 years?  10? 25?  It would seem very easy to widely integrate the technology.

Every good one that I have seen still has an unlocking key that also comes with the safe or door.  Batteries also run down for the electronic part.

They also have a four digit numeric code that you enter to activate the fingerprint portion of the unlocking procedure.  That way an intruder needs more than a cut off finger to get what they want.

I have some biometric locks and they are pretty good....I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could probably use a different finger, but even then you have a backup key right, not necessarily on this one..in theory you could program all of your fingers.  I would.  If you loose all your fingers, your probably in bad shape as is.  I suppose you could turn a dial w/ your nubs or your feet or mouth...might be hard to use a key.

It'd be hard to use the gun at that point anyway.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The power is out because its SHTF time.. They don't work for Crap when cold... What now??  Edit,, your from Al,,, nevermind,,  how about a humidity problem???  Get one with a Dial, good enough for Grandpa!!

Do they not? I know batteries don't work well when terribly cold, so burying it in the snow would be out..indoor use should be in moderate temperature range, but your right, not sure if i would want exposed to the elements.  I would imagine its not going to be good around water either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top