Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2001 10:45:12 PM EDT
I'm driving from TX (CHL holder) to GA and need some info about LA and GA. I know that TX reciprocates with LA from reading the state of TX website. I read at packing.org that GA honors a TX CHL (didn't see it at official GA site). Can anyone tell me if GA does actually honor a TX CHL?

About LA. What about carrying in your car? Must I notify LEO about CHL if pulled over? I don't fully understand the restriction about carrying in a "firearm free zone". I'll just be driving through LA and only stopping for piss breaks.

About GA: What about carrying in your car? Must I notify LEO about CHL if pulled over?
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 10:48:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out www.packing.org for a general idea.  Might want to double check with the local heat though.  You know how these things work...
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 11:02:25 PM EDT
[#2]
One of the relatives I am going to see in GA is a Deputy Sheriff so I'll give him a call. I doubt I will carry it on me. I am just concerned with carrying in a vehicle. I also need to check out AL and MS.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 11:05:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Heck, at least pack a folding knife or something less conspicuous.  I always thought that one of those rubber grocery divider thingies at the supermarket would make an excellent weapon (with a little lead piece inserted in the middle.)  They always catch me when I try to slip on in my brown bags though.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 12:06:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
One of the relatives I am going to see in GA is a Deputy Sheriff so I'll give him a call. I doubt I will carry it on me. I am just concerned with carrying in a vehicle. I also need to check out AL and MS.
View Quote

Here's a link to Alabama's laws concerning CCW and reciprocity:
[url]http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/alabama//headlines/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 11:22:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
In GA you can have a loaded pistol in the glovebox, console, or on the passenger seat without a license.  As for GA recognizing a TX permit, they are working to revoke that recognition here, since TX does not return the favor.

To be honest, most local cops everywhere don't know squat about reciprocity laws anyway.  A Daytona cop tried to tell me that not only does FL not recognize GA (it does), but that no state recognizes any other state's carry licenses, ie, no reciprocity anywhere.  He got a rude awakening when I made him check with his captain and then the FL Highway Patrol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top