Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2001 10:23:59 PM EDT
OK, now I got the friggen DVD player, my old prologic receiver does not have enough inputs for it AND the VCR.  So time to upgrade.

These are my choices:
Onkyo TDXS 595
Marantz SR5200
Denon 1802
Harman/Kardon AVR220

I've checked the home theater forums but they just tell you to get the next model up.  I can get each of these for 400 bucks or less so I want it to be one of these.

Thanks for your opinions/experiences.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 10:26:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive got 2 Onyo recievers. absolutley love em
had one for 7 years and it still sounds better than alot of stuff that is coming out right now
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#2]
They are all good choices. Just make sure the one you choose recognizes DTS(which is much better than Dolby Digital, IMO)
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 10:51:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn, tough choices. All are good recivers.

Make sure it has DD 5.1 and DTS.

Av.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 11:10:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my Onkyo 777 receiver, tons of power and clean sound.  Plus Onkyo's remote will control everything I've got: cd,dvd,sat,tv,receiver,and monster power box.  I would spend the extra money and get the 787 over the 500 series.  The extra power is worth it.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 11:14:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 11:32:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I would rule out HarmanKardon as one of your choices as equipment has been virtual crap for the last several years.  Go over to AudioReview.com and check the review on HK's stuff and you'll see what I mean.  Onkyo has always had great reviews, and Denon's stuff is usually good also.  I would stay away from Marantz as there not quite as user friendly but they are good.  It's always been my opinion to spend a little more and get what you really want compared with a lesser unit that you will regret later.  
Good Luck.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 4:12:51 AM EDT
[#7]
My take. I too would mark Harmon Kardon off the list. Their higher end stuff is nice, but their low end stuff is to be avoided. Check that for yourself in the audio forums. So that narrows it to 3--Onkyo, Denon and Marantz. In my experience, any of these three brands would serve you well.

I prefer the top tier of Onkyo's stuff as well, so for me that would narrow it to either the Denon or the Marantz.

As with firearm recommendations, go listen to both of these receivers for yourself--all of them for that matter. Try to listen to them with the components you have so you can get an idea of how it will sound in YOUR system.

Pick the one that sounds good to YOU. Choosing one that one of us likes may not make you happy.

So there you go, in the spirit of Charlie Brown, that is my best wishy washy, filtered for the Nsync generation, politically non-committal answer.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 4:58:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had a Pioneer DSX-D509S for about a year. It has p0erformed great and sounds great too. It was only around 350$ or so and has...

DTS and DD 5.1

Fiber optic digital connection to DVD player or you can use coax

Independant channel connections are available (you can run the 5 channels through wire directly i.e. center,left,right,ect)

Great universal remote that handles my Sony CD player, JVC VCR and Magnavox TV , and the cable box.

It has the Dolby prologic chip to play VHS tapes right instead of processing the signal.

You didn't mention Pioneer in your selections, but I researched this one quite well before I bought it, so I thought I'd just throw it out there.

Oz
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 5:14:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Yamaha has some serious heads as well. I have been a Yamaha fan for several years.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 5:28:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I agree with Ozzie on this one, I recently bought the Pioneer VSX-D510 receiver, it has DD and DTS. Two optical and one coaxial digital inputs. A very nice clean sound and enough power to rock the boat.

It it's 6.1 or even perhaps 7.1 surround you want in the near future. The higher end models of pioneer are prepared for that too. But not the 510 though.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:57:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I just got a Onkyo TDXS 595 and like it alot. The dealer actually talked me out of a higher-priced H/K, saying that they have been getting quite a few of the back for repair.

The Onkyo also supports Dolby ProLogic II along with Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS. Also has 75x5W output.

I have digital cable and it seems alot of stuff is broadcast in PLII. I had a Dennon ProLogic system before and TV sounds alot better now. VCR/DVD's are really great. Old system had only A/V hook-ups and S-video/fiber-optic hook-ups make one heck of a difference. Component would be even better, but I'd be hard pressed to see the difference - S-video is outstanding - besides, my TV doesn't support it - DVD does, though - maybe when this one dies.

Here's how I have mine set-up:
- Zenith 36" TV as monitor-only connected via S-vido
- JVC HR-S3910U VCR used as VCR and digital cable-tuner attached via S-video and A-V audio
- Sony DVP-NC600 five-disc DVD attached via S-video and fiber-optic audio
- Dennon and Infinity speakers

Good enough for me - sounds great. DVD's are outstanding - unbelievable picture/sound.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I just finished buying my first real HT setup. I spent A LOT (two weeks) of time researching my receiver on the web (mainly [url]www.hometheaterforum.com[/url]) and I got the Denon 3802 and am very happy with it. Dolby PLII is much better than standard Pro Logic. I'm actually looking at the 1802 for my bedroom right now.

If this is for your main viewing room you might want to consider jumping up to the 2802 for a little more. If you are buying online it won't go too much above your $400 budget.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#13]
[url]http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/1050.html[/url]

Your welcome,

Dave S
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Onkyo 787, Incredible!!!!!

Speakers,

Go with the Paradigm Reference 60's or 80's

Read the reviews, listen to them.

WL
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I would have to agree with dropping H/K.  Any of the others would work great.

I've had great luck with Sony, just got a Sony DE-875 and it works great except I'm still fine tuning the center channel to get a better sound.

Try this place for GREAT prices!!

www.moreaudiovideo.com
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Onkyo 787, Incredible!!!!!

Speakers,

Go with the Paradigm Reference 60's or 80's

Read the reviews, listen to them.

WL
View Quote

I JUST bought a pair of the Studio Reference 60's and a Servo-15 sub. These are by far the best deal on high quality speakers, but they are still not cheap! I paid about $1k for the 60's and $1300 for the sub. The 80's were OK, but the bass was a little muddy. I liked the 100's but the 60's with the sub just outclassed them.
Nothing beats bass down to about 17Hz!!!! The kind that flaps your pant legs....
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#17]
hey gus you seem pretty knowledgeable on this type of thing.  Anyway I am a high school student so naturally I don't have a lot of money to spend on electonics.  I do however consider myself an audio enthusiast. I have a (mini)entertainment center in my room.  Now keep in mind it is hard for me to save any real amount of money.  Right now I have a 25 inch tv, a 120 watt mini system and an RCA RC5240P dvd player.  Since I can't afford alot I am considering one of those RCA home theaters in a box which cost about $400 canadian.  I know most would say to just spend more money but even that is pushing my limits.  So I guess my question is should I get one of these systems or are they total junk?
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 1:13:29 PM EDT
[#18]
A quick reply to DaveS:

The Outlaw is definitely a great unit. However it lacks Prologic II (it will be included in their next upgrade). This could be a major sticking point if you already have a large investment in VHS movies recorded in Prologic. Also, I love PLII for listening to music.

Tom
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#19]
ShortyAK,

IIs!!!!!!!  IIs, you say!!!!!!!!!!!!

OKAY.

[url]http://www.sunfire.com/products/index.html[/url]   TGII [:D]

Dave S
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll take II of these. . .   [:D]

[url]http://www.svsubwoofers.com/CSUltrahome.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#21]

OK, now I got the friggen DVD player, my old prologic receiver does not have enough inputs for it AND the VCR. So time to upgrade
View Quote

If the old receiver still rocks. You can get splitters (2 into 1 plugs) or they make splitter boxes for all kinds of applications.

Since I can't afford alot I am considering one of those RCA home theaters in a box which cost about $400 canadian
View Quote

I had an RCA system for about a little over a year before it shot it's proverbial wad. I gave $299 basically to see if I would like the home theater experience. I do. Dog hates it though. Thinks somebody is sneaking up behind him when the surround sound kicks.
  Bought a Bose at one of their factory stores. The RCA had alot more inlets in the back than the Bose and I now have splitters everywhere. They are a little more expensive than the others but the quality of sound is undescribeable. I even like to hear crap (Rap) music on occassion now.
  I personally am waiting for a joint album starring George Jones, Ozzy Ozbourne and Hank Williams Jr(old stuff)and Metallica.

Link Posted: 12/29/2001 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll take II of these. . .   [:D]

[url]http://www.svsubwoofers.com/CSUltrahome.htm[/url]
View Quote

I always wanted to buy the 25-31PC ($669), but all my gun habit purchases keep preventing me from buying one.

[img]http://www.svsubwoofers.com/images/subdetailpics/25%20(2).jpg[/img]
View Quote
Subs Go with VELODYNE OR M&K I have the 15 "  Velodyne with 250 watt and it will pound!    [:O]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 11:25:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm actually thinking of selling my Benelli M1 Tactical (with extra rifle stock and 4 shot extender) to finance an SVS purchase.

I would avoid buying Bose unless you really need the name recognition (and knowledgeable HT people will not be impressed). You can get a lot more for the same money if you do a little research.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 1:01:33 AM EDT
[#24]
OK, after making up my mind about three times, I've settled on the Marantz.  All the receivers have PLII which I wanted cause I have a lot of video tapes and watch a lot of tv, but the Marantz offers 6.1 decoding as well.  

I like the Onkyo but understand from several different reports that they run hot, which would not work well in the current cabinet I think.  

The Outlaw was a consideration but no PLII.  

I would like to get a more expensive receiver but 400 is really the upper limit as I don't care enough to spend more than that.  If I was going to spend more I would put it into ammo or upgrading my computer so I can play Ghost Recon. 300 was actually the origional limit.  

I have Cambridge Soundworks speakers already and will probably upgrade those slowly as well using their ebay refurbished models.  Some people cap on them but I find that their speakers sound pretty good.

Home theater people can be as bad as gun people as far as wasting too much cash on their hobby.  I just can't afford to have both the hobbies. Good thing I don't live in a free state or I wouldn't have enough money left over from gun purchases to buy a freakin Aiwa.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 4:24:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Looks like you've already made up your mind -

Just wanted to add my 2 cents as an Onkyo 595 owner. Great sound, incredible sound compared to my older JVC receiver.

My [minor] complaints: no component video (by the time I get a TV big enough where that would be an issue though I am pretty sure I will want to upgrade the technology. Also no 6.1 or 7.1 capability (which I don't foresee needing for w while). It was, at the time I bought it, the best for the least that I could get over here in Korea (The Denon I was also looking at but could not find a good deal on like I found for the Onkyo at Etronics)

My biggest complaint: The damn remote, while easily programmable which I loved it for, has the worst toggle control for manipiulating DVD menus. I found myself need ing to use the DVD remote so I wouldn't select the wrong options. I thought I could work around it by unlearning the center button and using the play button to activate my menu selections - but I just upgraded to a better remote instead.

Good luck - now wacth how much ammo money will start going into DVD purchases (for me, that is lilterally what has happened, as I have been unable to shoot / buy ammo for some time now.

Adam

Adam
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 6:33:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Track down a Yamaha 5250. You can get one for about $250-350. It is a great receiver and has pre-outs for all channels so it can be used in virtually any configuration possible.

I have the front channels going to my NAD amp and the sub out going to my Hafler amp. When I first got the unit I tried it with its own amps and they sounded great. Very clean and full.

Good luck on a tough decision. There are a lot of great units out there.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:08:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Here's another vote for the Oykyo reciever, I have one and I love it...

7th
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top