Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2001 5:55:54 PM EDT
Whats the best electric shaver?  The best cut, smoothest cut?  thanks

*sorry for such a wierd ass question by the way.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen commercials for two new razors.  One is the Braun which you stick into something like a bowling ball (it cleans the razor).  The other is the Norelco which has the goo.  

I'd probably go for the Braun.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#2]
BRAUN  [:)>]
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got the braun.  I like it.  Best razor I've ever owned.  I've owned quite a few.  It tells you when to charge, clean, oil, rplace cutters, replace foil, and a bunch of other stuff.  ONLY one I ever had with an ACCURATE BATTERY METER!  Since I do most of my shaving in the car on the way to the grind, It's a blessing.  

Little 'docking station' cleans and charges the thing.  Cleaner is a citrus based liquid in a cartridge.  Hint: if you take the cartridge out after your cleaning (1.5 times per week) and reseal it, It'll last 2-3x as long.

Nobody give me any crap about shaving in the car.  The cell phone pricks can't keep it on the road.  I don't get distracted.  Prefer traffic lights though.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:10:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a full beard. 1 bic disposable lasts me a month.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Appreciate the info.  I am tired of regular blades.  I use the gillette ultra blades.  And they do work, but skin gets irritated anymore.  Wanna try an electric shaver.  And the damn things are down right expensive too.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Ive used Brauns, I've used norelco's.
By FAR, the best I have ever used is the PANASONIC WET/DRY.  
The ones with the trimmer that comes up flush is the only one that get the whiskers on the throat.

Ive purchased 3 in the last 6 yrs.  At under $50. they can't be beat, and the outshave everything else I've tried.

HTH

WL
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#7]
The WAHL electric shaver works well also, just ask Paul Harvey
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Panasonic Wet/Dry rechargeable.  Multiple heads.  Use it in the shower.  Close as a blade and easier on your face.  If you have sensitive skin try using Nivea shaving gel too.  I've used Panasonic Wet/Dry's for 15 years and won't use anything else unless I forget to charge it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 9:21:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd have to second the vote for the Panasonic Wet/Dry.  After having used a variety of Brauns and Norelcos, I can say with certainty that the Panasonic is the closest you can get to an actual razor blade without really using one.  Plus, as TxLewis said earlier, the Wet/Drys are dirt cheap.  They're almost half the price of Braun and Norelco razors.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 12:10:49 AM EDT
[#10]
If at all possible, I'd recommend saving the receipt -- I was given an electric shaver many years ago, and after using it for a while, I discovered that something about using it triggered horrible deep painful acne.  Not joking.

I think I still have it in a box somewhere if anyone wants it. . . .
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:25:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was given an electric shaver many years ago, and after using it for a while, I discovered that something about using it triggered horrible deep painful acne.
View Quote

Has this happened to anyone else?  I would like to try an electric, but I have very sensitive skin and am concerned about this.

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#12]
The deal with an electric razor is that your skin hasto be DRY. No sweat, no humidity, no just out of the shower. You also have to use it regularly. I cant use it on Monday morning after being a slug all weekend. It won't trim that rough shit I have. Another tric is to keep it moving. if you try too hard in one place for too long you will kinda grind your skin & get a rash like or pimply spot. I like them, but I still use a blade as well. The new ones or the Braun may be different.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#13]
my vote goes to the Remington TCT rotary, nice and quite. does good. doesnt eat my throwt, my old norelco worked good for years now it thinks im dinner. its gone, dead, gone. the side to side shaking blades (they are the wide ones with the cutters one on top of the other) are horrendesly noisy. the head is snapped back and forth on a springy center post. wereas the rotarys spin continuasly in one direction. ~$80.

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:03:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I tried electric once but I stopped because it always seemed to give me a rash. Blades work best for me.

I even tried a straight razor - learned a couple things about them too
(1) You need to strop it  before every use.
(2) Be DAMNED careful
(3) It didn't work any better than disposables.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've got the braun.  I like it.  Best razor I've ever owned.  I've owned quite a few.  It tells you when to charge, clean, oil, rplace cutters, replace foil, and a bunch of other stuff.  ONLY one I ever had with an ACCURATE BATTERY METER!  Since I do most of my shaving in the car on the way to the grind, It's a blessing.  

Little 'docking station' cleans and charges the thing.  Cleaner is a citrus based liquid in a cartridge.  Hint: if you take the cartridge out after your cleaning (1.5 times per week) and reseal it, It'll last 2-3x as long.

Nobody give me any crap about shaving in the car.  The cell phone pricks can't keep it on the road.  I don't get distracted.  Prefer traffic lights though.  
View Quote

I have an old Braun 5250 that is still better than 90% of the others.
I have my eye on the new Syncro![:D]
I shave and talk on the cell phone at the same time...while I'm driving![:D]
I'll let you know if I get one!
BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I tried electric once but I stopped because it always seemed to give me a rash. Blades work best for me.

View Quote

If you switch from blades to an electric then you need to shave everyday for at least 30 days so you can toughen up your skin.
Just put some Nivea lotion or something on you face after you shave.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I used to get really bad breakouts and irritated skin from electrics, and have pretty much given up on them. Has the technology really improved that much in the past few years?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:58:51 PM EDT
[#19]
If you get a Braun look at the back of the box. Some are made in Germany some are chicom. Make sure you get the one made in Germany.......

John
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd tell anyone trying to use any electric that has sensitive skin to use SOMETHING on their skin.  I use this stuff called Lectric Shave.  Kinda like aftershave, but you put it on before you shave.  It's a mix that's kinda like alchohol and baby oil.  Works great, and keeps irritation down.  

As for the razor itself, I have a Panasonic wet/dry.  It's pretty good, but I need new blades/foil soon!  

(gosh I hate shaving... wish we could just turn off hair growth!)
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I love my Panasonic wet/dry shaver, it's the BOMB!  Shavin in the shower rocks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top