Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2001 6:04:21 AM EDT

SEAL faces prison for unregistered gun silencer
By TIM MCGLONE, The Virginian-Pilot
© December 22, 2001

NORFOLK -- A Navy SEAL was convicted in federal court this week of having an unregistered gun silencer in his home.

Mark Foresman, 39, of Norfolk, a sailor for 22 years, faces up to 10 years in prison when he is sentenced March 21. A jury in U.S. District Court acquitted Foresman on Thursday of related firearms charges after trial.

The case unfolded on July 2, when Foresman's estranged wife called Norfolk police to report that Foresman was in their house in violation of a protective order, according to the U.S. attorney's office.

Police searched the house and arrested Foresman on state charges that day. Officers initially thought they had discovered a pipe bomb in the house and called in agents from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, the U.S. attorney said.

But the oblong-shaped item discovered behind a basement water heater turned out to be the silencer. The silencer had been missing from the Little Creek Amphibious Base since 1995, the U.S. attorney said. Officers also discovered a short-barrel rifle and other firearms.

Federal law requires that short-barreled rifles and silencers be registered.

State charges against Foresman were dismissed when federal charges were filed four days after his arrest. He has been in jail ever since. The Navy will likely take administrative action against Foresman as a result of his conviction, authorities said.

``Federal firearms laws exist to protect citizens from many forms of gun-related violence. Violations of federal firearms laws are severely dealt with in this district,'' said U.S. Attorney Paul J. McNulty.

Foresman's attorney, James Broccoletti, could not be reached for comment.

Link Posted: 12/22/2001 6:15:29 AM EDT
[#1]
``Federal firearms laws exist to protect citizens from many forms of gun-related violence.
View Quote

And just [i]whom[/i] are we protecting this time?  A prosecution for theft I could see.  Let's not pretend we're protecting anyone.

State charges for violating a protective order dropped?  That must have been serious.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 6:17:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

SEAL faces prison for unregistered gun silencer
By TIM MCGLONE, The Virginian-Pilot
© December 22, 2001

NORFOLK -- A Navy SEAL was convicted in federal court this week of having an unregistered gun silencer in his home.

Mark Foresman, 39, of Norfolk, a sailor for 22 years, faces up to 10 years in prison when he is sentenced March 21. A jury in U.S. District Court acquitted Foresman on Thursday of related firearms charges after trial.

The case unfolded on July 2, when Foresman's estranged wife called Norfolk police to report that Foresman was in their house in violation of a protective order, according to the U.S. attorney's office.

View Quote

What a mess. Even if this guy gets off- and I doubt he will, since the domestic violence quotient has been factored in, his legal bills and loss of career and pension will be MUCH more costly than if he had taken the time and relatively small amounts of money to A) apply, pay for and acquire a Class III licence B) buy a full-auto M-16 AND suppressor and C) not steal nor get caught with stolen government property.

Also, concealing it in one's one home (soon to be ex's) behind a water heater? The first place a cop would look. His skills of concealment should have taught him to do what the IRA did- suspend the gun and equipment in a sealed plastic bag inside a sewer grate, nowhere near his house, so he couldn't be traced to the gun and suppressor.

He had probably told his wife about the gun, too- guess how they knew where to look?.....

This guy is a SEAL? What was he, the company clerk, or their cook? What a moron.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 7:05:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

But the oblong-shaped item discovered behind a basement water heater turned out to be the silencer. ... Officers also discovered a short-barrel rifle and other firearms.

``Federal firearms laws exist to protect citizens from many forms of gun-related violence.'' said U.S. Attorney Paul J. McNulty.

View Quote

Yes, you see the silencer was hiding behind the water heater in the basement waiting for a signal from the SEAL.  At just the right time the silencer would jump out from behind the water heater and impale his estranged wife whom he forced into the basement specifically using the evil short-barreled rifle (but NOT the "other" firearms - those are not as dasterdly).  

Heroically, the federal firearms laws dashed in and prevented this massacre from happening proving once again that Sarah Brady is a genius and that crime doesn't pay!

Whew, federal firearms laws to the rescue again.

[:D]

Link Posted: 12/22/2001 8:57:18 AM EDT
[#4]
All I can do is shake my head...What a moron.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I am willing to bet nothing happens to this guy. The military will step in and, poof gone. The Navy will not let this tarnish the public view of the SEALs. It will be spun something like; Mark Foresman not owning the silencer but rather a mil owned, that he forgot to return after an exercise. Happens all the time says Navy spokeperson (insert name here).
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Morale of the story.  Never piss off your ex.  ESPECIALLY if she has the goods on you.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#7]
That article makes me sick. Don't know what else to say, except there is something very, very wrong with the way this country is going.

Link Posted: 12/22/2001 11:10:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am willing to bet nothing happens to this guy. The military will step in and, poof gone. The Navy will not let this tarnish the public view of the SEALs. It will be spun something like; Mark Foresman not owning the silencer but rather a mil owned, that he forgot to return after an exercise. Happens all the time says Navy spokeperson (insert name here).
View Quote

----> I disagree LT. I bet one of three things happen:
 1. He retires.
 2. He goes to Ft. Levanworth for an extended stay.
 3. He kills his wife, steals a plane and crashes it into the biggest building in Afganistan he can find.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#9]
"What a dumbass SEAL."

hmmmm? i seem to recall meeting one of those!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

----> I disagree LT. I bet one of three things happen:
 1. He retires.

View Quote

Oh he'll retire after this fiasco. I still don't think the Navy will let this go to trial. The have to uphold a certain image with the SEALs.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 12:06:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I had two SEALs in my med school class.  They LOSE equipment all the time.  I bought a beanie baby for one of the guys daughter when they were scarce. My buddy brought over a large garbage bag to the office one day and left it for me.  WOW, 20 round Sig factory mags, MP5 mags, a MP5 surefire forearm, AR15 mags, and a shit load of 9mm, 00 buck and 5.56.  He also said during exercises, their assault craft would sometimes capsize and all their stuff would be in the bottom of the ocean.  Silencers and machineguns are their tools.  Its like me and my speculum and stethoscope!  Never leave home without one!
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#12]
And here I thought this was going to be a post about our old pal in TX!

Now if ya really want to see a dumbass....[moon]
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 1:19:23 PM EDT
[#13]
so how deep bottom of the ocean are we talking here? Do they retrieve these lost gear sitting at the bottom of the ocean? Because if they don't wouldn't you just be able to dive down there and pick up all the stuff they lost? Like those guys who dive for golf balls at the golf course.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 2:21:33 PM EDT
[#14]
ummmmmmm.....just curious.  Where did these boats capsize?  
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#15]
These two guys were part of SIX.  Mostly antiterroist duties.  They were practicing boarding ships underway.  They have these speedboats that they can launch a zodiac off the end.  They pull along side and hook the ship and climb aboard.  One of the zodiacs bit it.  They also have blackhawks that skim the water and pull up on the stern of the ship at the last minute.  These guys then repel onto the deck.  They were off the coast of KA. One of the guys in one the discovery channel special about SEALs.  They also have a lot of fun.  They were practicing laying mines on old liberty ships.  When they were done, they climbed onto one of the ships.  They wondered how big of a bang the mine would make. They armed it and threw it over.  The current pushed it back against their ship and blew a huge hole in the side.  It actually made the news.  This was several years ago.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I had two SEALs in my med school class.  They LOSE equipment all the time.  I bought a beanie baby for one of the guys daughter when they were scarce. My buddy brought over a large garbage bag to the office one day and left it for me.  WOW, 20 round Sig factory mags, MP5 mags, a MP5 surefire forearm, AR15 mags, and a shit load of 9mm, 00 buck and 5.56.
View Quote

Sounds like a fair trade...except if the gear says GOVT PROPERTY on it. Might want to keep this little transaction on the down low, ARDOC.

garheadjr-

SEALs in that area are based in Dam Neck, VA Beach. One of my law school classmates was with SEAL 8 in the early 90's.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
These two guys were part of SIX.  Mostly antiterroist duties.... They were off the coast of KA.
View Quote

Must have been a while back, Six was on the EAST coast, better known as DEVGRP now.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry,  I wouldnt say anything, but it did make the news.  Yup, it was really a while back. They trained a lot with the LAPD squad. They also trained with the ROK special forces. They were laughing at the difference is the discipline.  I guess a ROK sniper missed a target and got whacked pretty good by his Noncom. One thing about these guys (SEALS), if they say they are going to do something, they will or die trying.  Most are also very intelligent.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#19]
    I can't beleave what a     stupid ass thing he did.      If you have something, lets   say not up to code make       sure to hide it outside       of your house.

Link Posted: 12/22/2001 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Morale of the story.  Never piss off your ex.  ESPECIALLY if she has the goods on you.
View Quote

You don't know how true this statement is when it comes to Ex's. A friend of mine who works for a law firm told me that 90% of the defense cases that they get involving an UN-registered or plain illegal Machinegun/Suppressors have to due with an Ex-Girlfriend/wife/mistress calling the ATF,FBI or local Police. This happens a lot after a fight or a breakup the women calls the police and sicks the big brother on you. Divorce lawyers even encourage this sometimes, to help break the stalemate or to win favor with judges.

Jerry
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#22]
 It's the typical pattern. Male whites are prosecuted on NFA violations while big city minority members slide on sawed off shotguns and felon in possession of a handgun constantly. ATF cherry picks which cases it wants to pursue.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Maybe he can take out Walker Taliban Ranger.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Why didn't they prosecute him for possessing stolen government property?  That was the real crime.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top