News Release

Voter Poll Data Show Broad Support
For Stronger Gun Laws
In Obama Administration
For Immediate Release:
11-19-2008

Contact Communications:
(202) 898-0792Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence

Washington, DC - Post-election polling of people who voted in this last election shows broad support across the country for strengthening background checks and passing other common sense gun laws.

In polling of 1,083 voters conducted between November 5 and 9 by Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, the results showed that “2008 Presidential election voters of every type and description strongly support common sense gun laws and would like to see the Obama administration take action on these issues soon,” according to Rob Green, who headed the gun issue polling effort for the Washington D.C.-based firm.  “Support for sensible changes in gun laws is strong not only among those who voted for [President-Elect] Obama; certain common sense restrictions are also supported by the vast majority of McCain voters.”

Penn, Schoen & Berland officials believe the numbers signify a cultural shift since the Supreme Court’s June decision upholding a right under the Second Amendment of the Constitution for Americans to have a handgun for self-defense.

“It is no longer plausible for opponents of gun legislation to assert that gun laws will somehow lead to a total gun ban.   The right to own a gun is now recognized by the U.S. Supreme Court, but so is the principle that reasonable restrictions are permissible,” Green wrote of the findings. “Perhaps the most compelling purely political story in this data is that the National Rifle Association is losing their old power to turn elections.  A 79 percent majority of voters say that America’s most famous interest group was not an important factor in deciding the election; fully 74 percent of gun owners agree and say the NRA wasn’t a factor… We suspect it is because it’s a post-Heller world.”

The polling results can be found at www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/pdf/memo-11-18-08.pdf.  Among the findings:

* More than three-quarters said they would support reasonable gun restrictions. Fully 83 percent of all voters favor criminal background checks for all gun sales, including 83 percent of moderates and 84 percent of McCain voters.

* There is extensive support for a wide variety of gun restrictions, including criminal background checks, registration, assault weapon bans, and a five-day waiting period for handgun sales.  Even though these are initiatives that the National Rifle Association opposes, a majority of gun owners still support almost all gun laws tested in the poll.  The only exception is when it comes to limiting the number of guns that can be bought at one time, where only 42% of gun owners say they could support the measure.  But support remains constant for all other groups, including people who voted for John McCain.

* Voters also say that they want to get things done quickly during the upcoming Obama Presidency.  More than two-thirds said that the gun laws they support should be adopted during the first year of the next administration.  This is true for McCain voters and gun owners too.

“We’re very pleased to see confirmation that the American people are rejecting divisive approaches to gun issues and are strongly supporting efforts to make it harder for dangerous people to get dangerous weapons,” said Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign.  “With the strong support of the American people, we are hopeful that our elected officials will pass laws to make our communities safer for us and our  families.”

# # #

As the nation's largest, non-partisan, grassroots organization leading the fight to prevent gun violence, the Brady Campaign, with its dedicated network of Million Mom March Chapters, works to enact and enforce sensible gun laws, regulations and public policies. The Brady Campaign is devoted to creating an America free from gun violence, where all Americans are safe at home, at school, at work, and in our communities.

For continuing insight and comment on the gun issue, read Paul Helmke's blog at www.bradycampaign.org/blog/. Visit the Brady Campaign website at www.bradycampaign.org.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:43:46 AM EDT
[#2]
How many though are going to pick up the phone and call their reps demanding they pass these laws?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:45:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Evil never sleeps.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:47:28 AM EDT
[#4]
FUCK THE BRADY CAMPAIGN!
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:47:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Someone needs to commission a poll on what the average American knows about current guns laws , what constitutes an "assault weapon" (legally) , general firearms knowledge and about gun crime in general (numbers of gun murders / where criminals obtain guns / how many gun murders are criminal on criminal / types of guns used in crimes , ect...)

I bet we would find out that the public is not qualified to have an opinion on "stronger gun laws".

Then again I suppose that is not how a democracy works.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:48:29 AM EDT
[#6]

i love how their new justification for the consideration of further gun restrictions, is that the second amendment is now recognized to preclude them...

i wish i were a liberal so i could take advantage of doublespeak as they do.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:48:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Someone needs to commission a poll on what the average American knows about current guns laws , what constitutes an "assault weapon" (legally) , general firearms knowledge and about gun crime in general (numbers of gun murders / where criminals obtain guns / how many gun murders are criminal on criminal / types of guns used in crimes , ect...)

I bet we would find out that the public is not qualified to have an opinion on "stronger gun laws".

Who would fund it?

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:55:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who would fund it?

Cato ?

It would probably be better if it were a neutral organization or I'd sat ARFCOM

It can't cost that much (to an orginization) to fund a Zogby poll or the like if Brady can do it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#9]
"In polling of 1,083 voters conducted between November 5 and 9 by Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence"

ORLY?

According to Washington Business Forward, PSB's "reputation is largely as a Democratic political polling firm, closely associated with both U.S. President Bill Clinton's administration as well as the Senatorial and Presidential campaign of his wife Hillary. But the firm also worked for Republican Michael Bloomberg in his mayoral bid in New York City, generating huge fees from the multi-millionaire self-financed candidate that caught some press attention during the campaign. ... Major corporate clients over the years have included AT&T, Coca-Cola, American Express, BP, Novartis and Microsoft."[5][6]

PSB's Mark Penn and Peter Brodnitz have registered as working for the Central American Bank for Economic Integration through contract with Holland & Knight, LLP.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn,_Schoen_&_Berland

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:57:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
"In polling of 1,083 voters conducted between November 5 and 9 by Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence"

ORLY?

According to Washington Business Forward, PSB's "reputation is largely as a Democratic political polling firm, closely associated with both U.S. President Bill Clinton's administration as well as the Senatorial and Presidential campaign of his wife Hillary. But the firm also worked for Republican Michael Bloomberg in his mayoral bid in New York City, generating huge fees from the multi-millionaire self-financed candidate that caught some press attention during the campaign. ... Major corporate clients over the years have included AT&T, Coca-Cola, American Express, BP, Novartis and Microsoft."[5][6]

PSB's Mark Penn and Peter Brodnitz have registered as working for the Central American Bank for Economic Integration through contract with Holland & Knight, LLP.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn,_Schoen_&_Berland

Brady probably got a big discount then.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:57:26 AM EDT
[#11]
What is the federal definition of 'assault weapon'?

What is the minimum barrel length for a rifle to be considered a 'short barreled rifle' under Federal law? The overall length limit?

You don't know?

Then what are you doing commenting on something you know nothing about??

THOSE questions
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:58:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Well they have a bit of bs in there.  It is typical to spin it in their direction.  The reality is nothing other then the economy became much of an issue in the last few months of the campaign. The reality is there are a lot of issues that did not even get talked about because voters did not care this time around.  If the economy is on somewhat of a forward track come the next election then the big talk will be about gay marriage, guns, abortion and if oil has gone back up then renewable energy.

Did you notice before the economy got worse there was talk about it but not a ton, most was all about high gas prices.  Then the economy got bad enough that it became the topic and at the same time oil prices dropped because of the economy and demand.

So if and probably when they pass new gun control laws like the AWB the NRA and gun owners will once again wake up and do something about it and the anti gunners will have their hands full.

Heller may have protected us for the time being to own guns but it has that language that reasonable gun control is allowable.  This is what is going to be debated until they rule once again.  To Obama a muzzle loader is all you need, hey it is more advanced then when the Constitution was written.  We will be lucky if we can even have single action revolvers.  So that will be the new debate over gun control, what is reasonable?

I really wish the pro 2nd amendment supreme court justices would have used more direct language that would not have open up the gun debate further.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:00:13 AM EDT
[#13]
They think 'reasonable restrictions' means they can ban everything except .32 revolvers, because, hey, you can still have A gun to defend yourself.

They don't understand 'reasonable restrictions' on a RIGHT are generally related to how that right is USED.  
Like yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater - it does not restrict the word 'fire', only how it's used.
Applying that logic to the 2nd Amendment would be as such:
Limits on WHERE guns can be carried
Limits on HOW guns can be used (murder, assault, aggravated assault are already illegal, so no real change would be needed)

If one looks at 'reasonable restrictions' logically, one finds that the right to keep and bear arms is already 'reasonably restricted'.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:01:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Good Lord. They will stop at nothing. If they want our weapons, they can TRY and come take mine.

No matter what the laws are 1, 2, 3 or even 10 years from now. I am KEEPING my shit. I'm not giving it up... of course that's if I still had my rifles, tragic boating accident unfortunately.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#15]
It's more like a hit piece on the NRA than 'yeah I voted for Obama because he wiill ban guns."

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:05:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes.  I demand that Obama act on Strong Gun Laws and get rid of them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:07:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They think 'reasonable restrictions' means they can ban everything except .32 revolvers, because, hey, you can still have A gun to defend yourself.

They don't understand 'reasonable restrictions' on a RIGHT are generally related to how that right is USED.  
Like yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater - it does not restrict the word 'fire', only how it's used.
Applying that logic to the 2nd Amendment would be as such:
Limits on WHERE guns can be carried
Limits on HOW guns can be used (murder, assault, aggravated assault are already illegal, so no real change would be needed)

If one looks at 'reasonable restrictions' logically, one finds that the right to keep and bear arms is already 'reasonably restricted'.

THEY want the public to believe that the Constitution reads...........

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, unless I say it's reasonable.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:19:17 AM EDT
[#18]
BUCK OFAMA!!

I feel better now
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:32:53 AM EDT
[#19]
I wonder if they are going to try and ban the shoulder thingie that goes up again.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Lock and Load...
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:52:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

A counter poll was done when a gun control group released a similar poll, back in the '90s I believe. A pro-gun group, GOA??, got the questions for the poll and conducted the poll again, getting similar results, about 65-70% in favor of stricter gun laws. The group then re-did the poll, except they explained current law around each question. The numbers inverted, instead of 70% in favor of stricter laws, it became 70% thinking current laws were adequate.

For example, I remember one of the questions involved outlawing undetectable plastic guns. People were for outlawing them, but didn't know they were already illegal. I don't recall the details, but any gun which might not be detected on x-ray must have an opaquing chemical(beryllium?) injected during manufacture to allow x-ray detection.

Numbers are estimates, this is from memory.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 10:06:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Read the poll before you comment folks
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
News Release

Voter Poll Data Show Broad Support
For Stronger Gun Laws
In Obama Administration
For Immediate Release:
11-19-2008

Contact Communications:
(202) 898-0792Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence

Washington, DC - Post-election polling of people who voted in this last election shows broad support across the country for strengthening background checks and passing other common sense gun laws.

In polling of 1,083 voters conducted between November 5 and 9 by Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, the results showed that “2008 Presidential election voters of every type and description strongly support common sense gun laws and would like to see the Obama administration take action on these issues soon,” according to Rob Green, who headed the gun issue polling effort for the Washington D.C.-based firm.  “Support for sensible changes in gun laws is strong not only among those who voted for [President-Elect] Obama; certain common sense restrictions are also supported by the vast majority of McCain voters.”

Penn, Schoen & Berland officials believe the numbers signify a cultural shift since the Supreme Court’s June decision upholding a right under the Second Amendment of the Constitution for Americans to have a handgun for self-defense.

“It is no longer plausible for opponents of gun legislation to assert that gun laws will somehow lead to a total gun ban.   The right to own a gun is now recognized by the U.S. Supreme Court, but so is the principle that reasonable restrictions are permissible,” Green wrote of the findings. “Perhaps the most compelling purely political story in this data is that the National Rifle Association is losing their old power to turn elections.  A 79 percent majority of voters say that America’s most famous interest group was not an important factor in deciding the election; fully 74 percent of gun owners agree and say the NRA wasn’t a factor… We suspect it is because it’s a post-Heller world.”

The polling results can be found at www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/pdf/memo-11-18-08.pdf.  Among the findings:

* More than three-quarters said they would support reasonable gun restrictions. Fully 83 percent of all voters favor criminal background checks for all gun sales, including 83 percent of moderates and 84 percent of McCain voters.

* There is extensive support for a wide variety of gun restrictions, including criminal background checks, registration, assault weapon bans, and a five-day waiting period for handgun sales.  Even though these are initiatives that the National Rifle Association opposes, a majority of gun owners still support almost all gun laws tested in the poll.  The only exception is when it comes to limiting the number of guns that can be bought at one time, where only 42% of gun owners say they could support the measure.  But support remains constant for all other groups, including people who voted for John McCain.

* Voters also say that they want to get things done quickly during the upcoming Obama Presidency.  More than two-thirds said that the gun laws they support should be adopted during the first year of the next administration.  This is true for McCain voters and gun owners too.

“We’re very pleased to see confirmation that the American people are rejecting divisive approaches to gun issues and are strongly supporting efforts to make it harder for dangerous people to get dangerous weapons,” said Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign.  “With the strong support of the American people, we are hopeful that our elected officials will pass laws to make our communities safer for us and our  families.”

# # #

As the nation's largest, non-partisan, grassroots organization leading the fight to prevent gun violence, the Brady Campaign, with its dedicated network of Million Mom March Chapters, works to enact and enforce sensible gun laws, regulations and public policies. The Brady Campaign is devoted to creating an America free from gun violence, where all Americans are safe at home, at school, at work, and in our communities.

For continuing insight and comment on the gun issue, read Paul Helmke's blog at www.bradycampaign.org/blog/. Visit the Brady Campaign website at www.bradycampaign.org.

They need to cease and desist before we get pissed.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#25]
There is extensive support for a wide variety of gun restrictions, including criminal background checks, registration, assault weapon bans, and a five-day waiting period for handgun sales. Even though these are initiatives that the National Rifle Association opposes, a majority of gun owners still support almost all gun laws tested in the poll. The only exception is when it comes to limiting the number of guns that can be bought at one time, where only 42% of gun owners say they could support the measure. But support remains constant for all other groups, including people who voted for John McCain.

More shit they are pulling from their ass.  Who the fuck do they think they are speaking for,  Sure as hell not me nor anyone I know.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I think it would be fiscally irresponsible of the Obama administration to attack the firearms industry in the United States. The economy may be down but firearms sales are through the roof everywhere. What if any industry in America is experiencing greater growth right now?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#27]
“It is no longer plausible for opponents of gun legislation to assert that gun laws will somehow lead to a total gun ban. The right to own a gun is now recognized by the U.S. Supreme Court, but so is the principle that reasonable restrictions are permissible,” Green wrote of the findings. “Perhaps the most compelling purely political story in this data is that the National Rifle Association is losing their old power to turn elections. A 79 percent majority of voters say that America’s most famous interest group was not an important factor in deciding the election; fully 74 percent of gun owners agree and say the NRA wasn’t a factor… We suspect it is because it’s a post-Heller world.”

Someone asked me in another thread if the Brady Bunch considered Heller to be a victory. I'd say they've found a spin for it. 'Hey, we aren't trying to ban guns, we know we can't! We just want to place "common sense" restrictions on them!'

Clinton ruled by the polls. Obama will do the same. They care about the popularity contest and if they find a poll that supports their agenda then they act. Expect Obama and his minions to enact another ban.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Disgusting fucking liars.

Rot in hell Brady.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
<snip>

They need to cease and desist before we get pissed.

They will NEVER give up, and now they have the muscle to make their terrible dreams a reality. The only question is how far will they push.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top