Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2008 9:30:42 PM EDT
I was at the bar running a tab and ran out of smokes, I went to the gas station (next door) and my card was declined. I call the number on the back of the card and the robot proceeds to tell to call back during business hours. It was declined for fraudulent activity. WTF, now I had to leave my ID at the bar and I'm fucked because of the debit bitches, fuck them and fuck debit. If I had a cash this would not be an issue... Lesson learned for all of us.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:37:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I learned long ago that cash is best used at a bar.

I hate it when they take my card or license away.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't like using my credit, prefer the debit.

Sucks that your card was declined for fraudulent activity though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I never use anything for money that someone can turn off with a button. No banks , No credit cards. Give me my paycheck , I cash it , when it's gone my pocket will be empty. Any other way is just asking for trouble , trust NO ONE !!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:39:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah,, I'm sure its the debit cards fault
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:41:12 PM EDT
[#5]
That sucks. My bank has a 24x7 number.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Using a debit card is riskier. If the number is stolen, or a merchant accidentally charges you $1,000 too much, that is 'real' money that is subtracted from your checking account that you can't use until the issue is resolved.

If you use  credit card, you just dispute the charge and you are not paying for it until it is resolved.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I was at the bar running a tab and ran out of smokes, I went to the gas station (next door) and my card was declined. I call the number on the back of the card and the robot proceeds to tell to call back during business hours. It was declined for fraudulent activity. WTF, now I had to leave my ID at the bar and I'm fucked because of the debit bitches, fuck them and fuck debit. If I had a cash this would not be an issue... Lesson learned for all of us.
In before someone says they would shoot a bartender for trying to keep their ID.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:42:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Using a debit card is riskier. If the number is stolen, or a merchant accidentally charges you $1,000 too much, that is 'real' money that is subtracted from your checking account that you can't use until the issue is resolved.

If you use  credit card, you just dispute the charge and you are not paying for it until it is resolved.

95% of the time I use cash though
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In before someone says they would shoot a bartender for trying to keep their ID.

I'd totally give him a noogie. I mean it, too.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I learned long ago that cash is best used at a bar.

I hate it when they take my card or license away.

The bar I go to won't take anything from me. My friends and I are probably their biggest customers. On more than one occasion I opened a tab at lunch, left, came back for the night and closed it then. They didn't care, just left the tab open. They knew I was coming back.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:54:00 PM EDT
[#11]
You could try using a bank that doesn't suck.

Just a suggestion.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:22:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 12:00:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yeah,, I'm sure its the debit cards fault

My friends card got frozen because we used to to fill up a truck with gas and buy 30 dollars worth of food and energy drinks at a gas station.  Boy was he pissed...
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 12:09:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Paying Cash as you go at the bar is a good way to ensure that you don't get an ugly surprise at the end of the night....  I've seen situations where the staff was "adding" to the bill, and / or other people were drinking away on the hosts tab without knowledge or approval...  BUMMER!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 12:31:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Never had a problem using a debit card, but I don't go to bars either.

I'm a cash business myself, though. Only cards I have are a debit card from my credit union and an AmEx.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 12:57:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Or you could be out having a good time on a Friday evening, running your mouth to your wife and stop to get cash and then leave your damn debit card in the ATM and wait a week to get a new one after discovering this while paying for breakfast the next morning and panicking as you call the wife to check your account online to make sure no one has used your card as you are flying to the bank to cancel it!

[Frustrated Picture Thread]FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!  [/Frustrated Picture Thread]

Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 1:00:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

And doesn't the debit feature cost for every transaction?

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 2:30:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

And doesn't the debit feature cost for every transaction?

Not if you have a REAL bank.  My god the craziness is strong in this thread.  Of course the bar keeps your debit card, and of course there is SOME possibility that it could be frozen for "fraudulent activity." You could also be robbed of your cash when you stepped outside to smoke, or into the bathroom, or any other number of shit happens scenarios.  This was a shit happens scenario and you should use a bank with 24x7 customer service.  I personally think that people that pay for stuff only with cash are wacko nutjobs
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 2:33:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't go to bars and I don't smoke.  Not leaving the house keeps you safer.

Trust no one.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 2:36:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Having options is the best way to go through life.

I prefer cash but now and then the debit card works better in some instances because of some weird situation.

Such a weird situation would be a cash register not letting its drawer open.  So they could not make change.  Debit card worked fine and I was on my way.

And yeah a credit card is nice as well but I don't use mine too often.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 2:39:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't go to bars and I don't smoke.  Not leaving the house keeps you safer.

Trust no one.

Yup........them damned smokers..........root of all evil they are

I never did like the 'holding' of a card for your tab.......I prefer to pay as I drink with cash.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 2:41:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Officer, I was in fear for my hair...
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 2:58:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Use it at a bar to run a tab and I am not surprised.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:14:11 AM EDT
[#24]
No, I do use debit and don't gp to bars.  Never had a problem.  Debit cards are handy if you're capable of being responsible with them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:17:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Molon License?

Molsen Labe?

Melon Lobe ?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:41:42 AM EDT
[#26]
I use my debit card constantly and have to get a new one every year because I wear them out.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top