Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/18/2008 10:37:04 PM EDT
Awwwwwww, fuck that shit.

After a bunch of trial and tribulation, I've got OSX running under VMWare on a Linux box. Apple *really* doesn't want you to do this, and it shows. What a pain. Cocksuckers.

And you know what? I kind of hate it. A few things about OSX really bug me:

1. Running programs from the CLI (terminal) kind of sucks. If it's based on BSD, they done fucked up the filesystem structure something fierce. If I want to start their nice little GUI text editor as root, 'sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit' is *seriously* fucked up. What's wrong with 'sudo /usr/bin/TextEdit'? Jesus Christ...

2. Why am I editing kernel options in a text file to change my screen resolution on an "easy" OS? Laaaaaaaame.

3. Why, when I click that cute little red button to close an app, is the damn thing still available in the Dock? I want the motherfucker closed. Why do I have to use the menu to "quit"? Sheesh.

4. When I'm using Finder, why am I forced to click a bunch of cute little folders to drill down to a file? It takes fucking forever. I know what the path is, and I can type it in 2 seconds. Why can't I type '/folder-a/folder-b/' and hit enter? I can handle it, Apple. Seriously.

It's actually kind of a pain in the ass to use. Why do people like this shit, again?

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#1]
geek.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:41:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

geek.

You use one of these God forsaken things, don't you?

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:42:09 PM EDT
[#3]
One step closer to a penis in your mouth.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:42:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
geek.

I had NO idea what you were even trying to say!

I assumed it was geekese...no?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:44:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I can taste the jizz already.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:44:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

geek.

Do you use a Mac? For some reason, I thought you did.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

After a bunch of trial and tribulation, I've got OSX running under VMWare on a Linux box. Apple *really* doesn't want you to do this, and it shows. What a pain. Cocksuckers.

http://www.rambling-geek.com/images/misc/screenshots/Screenshot-OSX.jpg

1. Running programs from the CLI (terminal) kind of sucks. If it's based on BSD, they done fucked up the filesystem structure something fierce. If I want to start their nice little GUI text editor as root, 'sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit' is *seriously* fucked up. What's wrong with 'sudo /usr/bin/TextEdit'? Jesus Christ...

# ln -sf /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit /usr/bin/TextEdit
# chmod a+s /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit (if desired, but I wouldn't)

2. Why am I editing kernel options in a text file to change my screen resolution on an "easy" OS? Laaaaaaaame.

Only necessary when running under a Virtual Machine, like you are.  I change screen resolutions by going to system preferences.

3. Why, when I click that cute little red button to close an app, is the damn thing still available in the Dock? I want the motherfucker closed. Why do I have to use the menu to "quit"? Sheesh.

You know the answer to this, I'm only humoring you for the sake of others.
Red 'X' closes a window.  Applications can exist independently of their windows.   Applications are closed by selecting "Quit XXappnameXX" from the "XXappnameXX" menu.

4. When I'm using Finder, why am I forced to click a bunch of cute little folders to drill down to a file? It takes fucking forever. I know what the path is, and I can type it in 2 seconds. Why can't I type '/folder-a/folder-b/' and hit enter? I can handle it, Apple. Seriously.

hit shift-command(apple)-G (for "go to"), or select from the Finder's "Go" menu "Go to folder..."
Then type your path and hit enter, just as you desire.

It's actually kind of a pain in the ass to use. Why do people like this shit, again?

Sometimes I can't tell if you're being obstinate just for the attention, or if you really don't know these things.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:51:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Sometimes I can't tell if you're being obstinate just for the attention, or if you really don't know these things.

The former, mostly.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:52:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Cmd + q will shut that motherfucker DOWN like white on rice.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:52:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:52:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Isn't the whole point of putting up with OSX so that you can smuggly strut into your local Starbucks and slap down your Mac Book where everyone can see how hip and cool you are?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:53:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The former, mostly.

I still hope you learned something new from my post.  Even some long time users don't know about "Go to folder..."
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:54:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
geek.

Do you use a Mac? For some reason, I thought you did.

Mac? I have a desktop with this Vista virus thing. I have a laptop with the vista virus too, but the keys are too small there to type with my nails.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I need to figure out how to map that nifty little Cmd key to something on a Windows keyboard.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:55:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I agree 100% Subnet.  No OS makes me feel numb like OSX.  I seriously dont understand why people like it so much...maybe its all just marketing.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:58:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The former, mostly.

I still hope you learned something new from my post.  Even some long time users don't know about "Go to folder..."
I caught it in the menu, and it's got a shortcut kind of hint next to it.

I kind of like the way it's done under Gnome in Linux. You can click around nice and easy, but there's always an address bar of sorts you can start typing in. It even completes paths for you.

If I can figure out a way to map the Cmd key to something on my keyboard, it'd make life easier. Obviously, that's a limitation of me doing this on a PC instead of a real Mac.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I need to figure out how to map that nifty little Cmd key to something on a Windows keyboard.

good luck with that, I tried to use a PC keyboard on a mac once, tried for about 3 hours and I couldnt figure it out or even if its possible. FUCK OBAMA AND MAC
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The former, mostly.

I caught it in the menu, and it's got a shortcut kind of hint next to it.

I kind of like the way it's done under Gnome in Linux. You can click around nice and easy, but there's always an address bar of sorts you can start typing in. It even completes paths for you.

If I can figure out a way to map the Cmd key to something on my keyboard, it'd make life easier. Obviously, that's a limitation of me doing this on a PC instead of a real Mac.

Also, "Go to folder..." has [tab] completion but it's not perfect.  It just matches the first one alphabetically on multiple matches .  Better than none, I s'pose.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

# ln -sf /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit /usr/bin/TextEdit

# chmod a+s /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit (if desired, but I wouldn't)

The problem with that is, I'd have to do that with a LOT of applications, in a misguided (perhaps) effort to recreate a normal (sane) Unix filesystem.

At least they use Bash, and tab completion works.

I really don't understand why they fucked with the filesystem so much. The standard Unix filesystem is an elegant and beautiful thing, and regular users that won't understand why it's there *can* be shielded from it completely.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It maps automatically to the windows key when I plug a normal keyboard into my macbook.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:13:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This is Good. In OS X the resources for an application aren't spewed across the entire filesystem. The TextEdit.app looks like a double-clickable executable in the GUI, but is in fact a directory that contains all the resources needed to run the application (usually). This means you install the application by dragging it to the apps directory. Period. The install doesn't spew crap to /usr/local/lib, /var/eye-squint/obscure, and /usr/internal/developer/bin. It's all in the .app directory.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:25:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

This is Good. In OS X the resources for an application aren't spewed across the entire filesystem. The TextEdit.app looks like a double-clickable executable in the GUI, but is in fact a directory that contains all the resources needed to run the application (usually). This means you install the application by dragging it to the apps directory. Period. The install doesn't spew crap to /usr/local/lib, /var/eye-squint/obscure, and /usr/internal/developer/bin. It's all in the .app directory.
This is bad.

The whole point of separating components of an application into different directories on a *nix system is to give the administrator  the flexibility of keeping things on separate filesystems (local, networked, and even read-only), transparent to the user. Additionally, particularly in the case of libraries, it provides an easy location mechanism for other applications that wish to link that library. It's silly to have a library in an application-specific directory, when there are a dozen other applications that might link against it, and need to know where it is.

The Unix filesystem hierarchy is actually pretty simple and extremely logical, if you just take a moment to read up on it and understand it. Further, users who don't care to, can be shielded from it completely.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:26:27 PM EDT
[#25]
You're doing it wrong.

Windows users trying to hack their machines to run Mac software is like a flaming gay guy trying to go straight.

It could work, but they're always looking for the plumbing in the wrong spot.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:27:18 PM EDT
[#26]
"3. Why, when I click that cute little red button to close an app, is the damn thing still available in the Dock? I want the motherfucker closed. Why do I have to use the menu to "quit"? Sheesh."

I fucking hate that.(Really)
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:28:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

You're doing it wrong.

Windows users trying to hack their machines to run Mac software is like a flaming gay guy trying to go straight.

You take that back!

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:28:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

http://www.rambling-geek.com/images/misc/screenshots/Screenshot-OSX.jpg

Or symlink /Applications/TextEdit.App...

Or create /Applications/TextEdit.sh (If you really wanted to, you could create a script that launches the .app based on the name of the shell script (TextEdit.sh launches TextEdit, Safari.sh launches Safari, etc - all you have to do is change the file name, and the target changes....)

Or just edit ~/.bashrc and alias all of the common things you want to run....

Because you're running it in VMWare? My parents have a Mac, and the resolution can be adjusted from the UI, IIRC

That's just the way Macs have been since day one, before multitasking was invented... You always have to quit the program from the menu bar.

Again, Apple-isim... Although I think you can set it up to let you type in folder-names....

For some folks who don't know how fast you can use a computer if you keep your hands off the mouse, on a Mac, with dedicated 'will work for sure' hardware... It's the closest they will get to a computer that's as simple as their TV...

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:30:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You're doing it wrong.

Linux is closer to MacOS X (both having a similar underlying OS - Apple just hid it really damn well) than Windows by far...

Although what he did is more of a 'Computer Geek Olypmics' event than a practical solution - He's running MacOS on a 'pretend' PC that's being simulated by a PC running Linux....
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It maps automatically to the windows key when I plug a normal keyboard into my macbook.

Yeah, but Subnet is using a 'Virtual' computer to run OSX... Things get a bit different there....
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:34:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can taste the jizz already.

Is it salty as they say?

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:35:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:Why do people like this shit, again?

Wiener cravers, the lot of them.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:36:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

"3. Why, when I click that cute little red button to close an app, is the damn thing still available in the Dock? I want the motherfucker closed. Why do I have to use the menu to "quit"? Sheesh."

I fucking hate that.
(Really)

Ah, my bestest Mac-using buddy feels my pain.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:39:31 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I liked your other answer better, Mr. edit-his-post.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:39:56 PM EDT
[#35]
How is using a mac being a geek, when you see lots of hot college chicks with them?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

How is using a mac being a geek, when you see lots of hot college chicks with them?

Hey man, if it gets you pie, I'm all for it.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:42:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I don't know why anyone swears by a Mac.
I could completely understand why anyone would swear AT a Mac.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:43:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Since nobody has posted a decent reply to this one yet.....
1) In terminal you can use: open -a "application name"
So you can do:

open -a Textedit
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:44:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Uhh.. it's not being a "geek"... by no means.

And women don't tend to be geeks OR comp savvy, and that explains a lot.
Macs come in cute colors.
You can even accessorize them with other Mac things...
that cost 500% more than their PC counterparts.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:46:16 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm about to try their mail program, since I noticed that it seems to have Exchange support. I'm used to using Evolution in Linux (and it's Exchange connector is problematic, to say the least), so we'll see how this goes.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:47:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Environmentalists like them even though they're made out of 95% oil by-products.

The power of a 'lifestyle' completely constructed by huge corporations...

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/30/39-apple-products/

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:48:25 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since nobody has posted a decent reply to this one yet.....

1) In terminal you can use: open -a "application name"

So you can do:

open -a Textedit
THANK YOU. That's much better!

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:52:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The whole point of separating components of an application into different directories on a *nix system is to give the administrator  the flexibility of keeping things on separate filesystems (local, networked, and even read-only), transparent to the user. Additionally, particularly in the case of libraries, it provides an easy location mechanism for other applications that wish to link that library. It's silly to have a library in an application-specific directory, when there are a dozen other applications that might link against it, and need to know where it is.

Nothing stops you from NFS mouting an application. Per-user configuration information is kept in the home directory, ~/Library. Multiple binary code segments can be kept in a single Mach-O file, ie both intel and ppc binary code in a single executable file. Shared code frameworks can be kept in /System/Library/Frameworks.

Do an ls -lR in the TextEdit.app directory. Imagine that crap spewed across Diety-knows how many directories on the filesystem. Instead all the localization, GUI elements, binaries, and help files in one place for that application. Win. Particularly for a desktop user unix system.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:54:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I liked your other answer better, Mr. edit-his-post.

Well, I didn't want the Mac-nazi's to sprout e-penis and tell me how adept they are at using their machines to the fullest. 1 in 100 Mac users actually plumb the innards.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:55:18 PM EDT
[#45]
I still think you're all geeks.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:59:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but Subnet is using a 'Virtual' computer to run OSX... Things get a bit different there....

I know, that's why I added the "macbook" qualifier.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:00:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Hrm...

Looks like I'm going to need to install a Cisco VPN client. I'm reasonably certain one exists for OSX, and I'm going to have a looksie, using ye olde CCO account.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:04:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Side note: Flash is enabled in Safari without me having to do anything, which is a minor win.

Just call me Mr Silver Lining.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:05:46 AM EDT
[#49]
If I ever see another "Hi, I'm a Mac." commercial; I will decommission my TV with a size 11.5 jungle boot to the screen or a magful of .45 ACP to it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:13:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Isn't the whole point of putting up with OSX so that you can smuggly strut into your local Starbucks and slap down your Mac Book where everyone can see how hip and cool you are?

if that's what it takes to get laid by libtard chicks, i'll stay celibate.

Not that I have much choice in the matter...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top