Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2001 1:31:09 PM EDT
Jaguars Beat Browns 15-10

By TOM WITHERS
.c The Associated Press

CLEVELAND (AP) - An overturned call in the final minute gave the Jacksonville Jaguars a 15-10 win over Cleveland on Sunday and caused a near riot by Browns fans.

Fans pelted the field with thousands of plastic bottles - many of them filled with beer - and other debris before the game was stopped with 48 seconds remaining. A few of the fans tried to run on the field but were quickly caught by security personnel.

The Jaguars had to dodge flying objects as they sprinted off the field, and the officials were doused with beer and cups of ice as they tried to run to safety.

Nearly 30 minutes later, officials decided to resume play, bringing Cleveland's defense and Jacksonville's offense out of the locker room to finish the game.

Jacksonville's players re-entered and left the field through the Browns' tunnel to avoid being hit again by debris.

``I've never seen a game, heard of a game or anything like this,'' Browns coach Butch Davis said. ``It's disappointing. It put our players in as much jeopardy as theirs.''

The fans' ugly behavior came after the Browns had a first down at Jacksonville's 9-yard line taken away despite running a play before the officials reviewed it.

Browns quarterback Tim Couch had apparently completed a fourth-and-2 pass to wide receiver Quincy Morgan with 1:08 remaining, and the Browns, who were out of timeouts, quickly rushed to the line of scrimmage.

On first down, Couch spiked the ball with 48 seconds to go, and was headed to the sideline when the officials began to discuss Morgan's catch.

After several confusing minutes, referee Terry McAulay announced that the officials were reviewing the play. When McAulay finally emerged from the TV review monitor, he announced that Morgan did not catch the ball.

Replays showed that Morgan was bobbling the ball as he fell to ground.

As Cleveland's bench erupted in protest, Browns fans in the ``Dawg Pound'' bleacher section closest to the play, began hurling bottles and other objects from the stands.

The Jaguars moved away from their bench to avoid getting hit, and before the fans got rowdier, McAulay announced the game was over.

AP-NY-12-16-01 1655EST
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 1:38:25 PM EDT
[#1]
CBS just showed this on TV, it was a complete fuck up.  That referee needs to be FIRED, immediately.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I watched the game although I didn't know they came back out later.  It's BS reviewing a call after another play was run.

Other than that it was pretty cool seeing the zebras dodging plastic beer bottles and beer poured out of cups.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 1:41:16 PM EDT
[#3]
sitrep: fubar

the post game shows should be a "riot", also.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I couldn't believe they were throwing beer bottles out there.....hope they caught some of these idiots on video tape and they get arrested for it!
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, they'd be plastic beer bottles, not glass.  So not as big of a deal as glass bottles would have been.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty sad for people to get all upset becuase the hired mercenaries of Corporation A were screwed and the hired mercenareis of Corporation B won the game. I can imagine people will be doing jail time because they are stupid to get so fantical.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pretty sad for people to get all upset becuase the hired mercenaries of Corporation A were screwed and the hired mercenareis of Corporation B won the game. I can imagine people will be doing jail time because they are stupid to get so fantical.
View Quote

Personally, I am a fan of corporation C, and am not surprised by the antics of Corporation A or Corporation B fans, as those guys are animals. once, a fan of corporation A knocked me off my tuffet, causing me to spill my tea....
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, they'd be plastic beer bottles, not glass.  So not as big of a deal as glass bottles would have been.
View Quote

A half full plastic beer bottle can cause as much head trauma as a glass one! Why couldn't they have thrown a full one at the %$^%$# ref?
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Sure looked like glass bottles to me.  This will probably be the beginning of no glass bottles in stadiums.  Or even no cans in the seats, only on the concourse levels.

Link Posted: 12/16/2001 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Glass bottles are not allowed in Browns Stadium. If you've ever been there you would know that most of those bottles were full of piss because the kind of people who would throw bottles onto the field are the same kind of people who don't want to miss any of the game. A plastic beer bottle full of piss thrown from the stands is going to hurt.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#11]
As a former Ohio resident, there was a perfectly good reason for Cleveland to not have a football team before. They get a team back and then pull this shit.  Unbeleiveable!

[beer]
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Really? I thought the fans acted with remarkable restraint.  They were watching fraud being comitted before their eyes and only threw stuff they owned onto the field.

When the referees, the administration of this entertainment event, change the rules and the outcome of the said event before it is over, that is fraud.

They should go and demand their money back, and sue the NFL if needed to get it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I was at the game in question (my beer bottle remained earth bound).  Two points: (1) the bottles were all plastic; (2) it was not as bad as it looked on TV.  I would not have wanted to have been on the field, but to call it a riot is a bit of an overstatement.  Ever see a riot where people were armed only with plastic bottles?

I have been at Wrigley Field when people were throwing magnent schedlues on the field--this was no different in my mind.  I have seen games where people on the field were pelted with snowballs and chunks of ice (remember the NY Giants game a few years ago).  Not to excuse what happened, but lets not blow it out of proportion.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2001 9:17:51 AM EDT
[#14]
How long will it be until the refs are wearing pads and helmets?
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#15]
What burns me is that ESPN and the other media outlets are blaming the FANS and not the Refs for this fracas. How else do you expect them to register their displeasure at FRAUD.  They payed good money for those seats to watch a footbal game, not to have the Ref determine who won.

At least the owners of the Browns stood up for their people at the post game press confrence.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 2:43:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Holy cow.

I'm a Lions fan (again now that we finally won one).

I think that the fans should determine the right call.  After all they have a much better veiw from the nose bleed section than the refs and they have the benifit of instant replay.  With all those eyes they could never be wrong.

Is this a cop bashing thread with cops disguised as refs??

Hey, this guy walked into a bar with a monkey while the Lions game was on.  The Lions got a first down and the monkey ran up and down the bar, giving everbody high fives.

The guy next to the owner of the monkey (a real Lions fan) says  "That's cool.  What does the monkey do when they get a touch-down".

The owner says "I don't know.  I've only had him a couple of years".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top