Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2008 9:06:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:09:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I was waiting for the "My back is out of whack again because I lifted that darn dehumidifier!"

Good Deals
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've been "down in the back" for two weeks, but today I finally woke up and feel MUCH better.  As I'm better, my wife and I are going to go ahead and travel to the farm tonight when she gets off work.  It's on the way out of town so I got up this morning and took her to work at 7:00.  On the way home I was listening to the local AM radio program where people sell stuff similar to the EE here.  

First guy I listened to was selling a NIB pair of $255 Red Wing boots--in my size--for $100.  Turns out his union contract forces the company to give everyone a new pair every nine months and he works on a fork truck indoors so his current two y/o pair is doing fine.  He decided to turn them into cash.  

They happened to be EXACTLY my size--10E, so I left with them, $95 dollars lighter, but I needed a new pair anyway.  

As I'm leaving another guy comes on with a dehumidifier for sale.  Like new, $60.  I drive over there, find out it's a Crosley (good brand) and I leave with it for $50.  I'll need one next Spring (needed it this Spring but didn't want to spring for a new one), so now I'm all set, for about 1/3 of retail.  

Must be living right.  

It's cool finding stuff at the right price!  

The highlighted part disturbs me a lot, a whole lot.

Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:17:51 AM EDT
[#4]
good buys
but you could be broke before you make it home
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I flet the same way the other day when I got a hookup on a NIB Eotech 557 for $274

ETA: It's real. His wife works for the company that..something...something..whatever it was...
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:23:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Somehow getting a good deal makes things that much more enjoyable.

And don't worry about 'stealing' the boots.

Willing Buyer + Willing Seller = Capitalism Classic
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#7]
the shoes/boots are considered safety equipment and like safety glasses and gloves the company agreed to provide them.  Every 9 mo.s seems pretty quick to replace though.

our company only gives us a $50 dollar credit towards the purchase of steel toe boots (which are optional)  I used it towards a $250 pair of Red Wings
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:31:14 AM EDT
[#8]
A company I worked for had to do the same thing.  Once a year a semi came out that was a shoe store in the back and everyone got a new pair of shoes at no cost.  Well, not really "no cost".  The initiation fee to join the union was 100 times your hourly wage and dues were about $50 a month.  This was 25 years ago.  I was hired as an apprentice at $7 an hour so my initiation fee was $700 (you had a year to pay it), but the employer liked me so much he kept giving me raises and in 6 months I made Journeyman and my hourly wage went to $14.  Each time I got a raise the union raised the initiation fee to match my new wage.   I left after 10 months owing them as much or more than I did the day I was hired.  So the boots were far from free.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:41:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I felt the same way Thursday when I bought this 1954 Colt 1911 for $410.

Link Posted: 10/18/2008 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#10]
GREAT deal on the Redwings, they are the only work boots I buy!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top