Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/16/2008 12:45:25 PM EDT
Well, I finally did it. I crossed over to the dark side. Apple released a new generation of MacBook Pro 2 days ago and I picked mine up today from the Apple Store.

I must say, first impressions however:

Lightning fast
Awesome features (glass, buttonless mousepad)
Backlit Keyboard
Magnetic power adapter
Chicklet style keyboard
Solid machined aluminum chassis
Dual video display system

I'm loving the new technologies put into this laptop. Pics will follow in a little bit!
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:47:07 PM EDT
[#1]
All for the low price of enough to buy a small car.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#2]
how much did you pay?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:48:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

You'll use the MacBook longer than you'll have the car, trust me. It's worth it.

OP: Congrats on your purchase!
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Pics!

We demand pics!

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'll use the MacBook longer than you'll have the car, trust me. It's worth it.

+1

I have had my macbook for just about 1 year.  Still no crashes, lockups, error messages, viruses, popups etc.

You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Pics?

price?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

doubt that.  My car is from 94'    I have a computer in my basement from 93.  I don't love it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Ive only owned 1 mac and it was better and I had better customer service than with the 3 PC's since.

But, pc's are so cheap you can toss them and get another for nothing...it's the disposable lighter Vs. zippo argument......
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#9]
You will never look back.

There may be a brief learning curve for some elements of the OS, but in no time you'll be wondering why you ever owned a PC.

Welcome to the cult.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

doubt that.  My car is from 94'    I have a computer in my basement from 93.  I don't love it.

My truck is paid for on a five year note; it's an 03.

My PowerBook is from 2000. And going strong. I have to do a bit more preventive maintenance on it than a new laptop obviously (or my desktop) but it's great.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well, I finally did it. I crossed over to the dark side. Apple released a new generation of MacBook Pro 2 days ago and I picked mine up today from the Apple Store.

Lightning fast
Backlit Keyboard
Magnetic power adapter
Chicklet style keyboard

I'm loving the new technologies put into this laptop. Pics will follow in a little bit!

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#12]
they may cost more, but i haven't restarted/shutdown my mac in 3 months, still no glitches.  my laptop.....sucks
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lightning fast
Backlit Keyboard
Magnetic power adapter
Chicklet style keyboard

i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa232/brdvictim/gay_apple_store.png

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You will never look back.

There may be a brief learning curve for some elements of the OS, but in no time you'll be wondering why you ever owned a PC.

Welcome to the cult.

Amen!
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Hows the trackpad? I haven't got my hands on them yet but we've got a dozen of them on order.

-JTP
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#18]
The trackpad is pretty flippin cool. I'm definitely enjoying more tracking real estate on the pad itself. The glass is very smooth and is deadly accurate. So far, I find no qualms or anything that I will dislike about the computer
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I must admit, however, that I'm gonna miss the solid-aluminum look.

Oh, well. My next Mac will be an iMac anyway.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:17:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Blows me away that most Mac people are incapable of realizing you can run OSs that are superior to both MacOS and Windows on a PC. PC != Windows.

My Gentoo box is more stable than any MacOS box ever.

If you go PC you can get more bang for your buck, and you are never forced to only use Windows.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#21]
My powerpc Mac laptop from 2004 still runs great.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Blows me away that most Mac people are incapable of realizing you can run OSs that are superior to both MacOS and Windows on a PC. PC != Windows.

If you go PC you can get more bang for your buck, and you are never forced to only use Windows.

It blows me away that some people can't fathom the fact that there are people in the world who have different likes and dislikes, skills and interests.

It further blows me away that these people cannot resist the opportunity to piss in someone else's thread just because they can.  This is trolling if you ask me.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice buy … sorry this tip is coming a day late, coulda saved you a few bucks …

Sign up for a membership to NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Profesionals) for $99 and get some wonderful discounts and benefits … if you buy through Apple's online store you'll enjoy saving of around 17% (you get a "Members Only Storefront" to make all you purchases through) … Sure it's through the online store, and you have to have it shipped to you, but shipping is free and the savings add up …

The 2.4 Ghz 15" MBP
"Street Value" $1999
NAPP price $1839

The 2.53 Ghz 15" MBP
"Street Value" $2499
NAPP price $2299

The 2.5 Ghz 17" MBP
"Street Value" $2799
NAPP price $2575

NAPP is a great value for anyone doing graphics or Photography, lots of discounts make up for the cost of Membership, plus you get a subscription to Photoshop User magazine.

Sorry this didn't save you any cash, maybe it will help someone else … $100 is $100, and if you can save it, it's worth the effort.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
My powerpc Mac laptop from 2004 still runs great.

Ditto. Mine is showing it's age, what with having been dragged across a dozen states and at least three countries, but it's still going strong.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It blows me away that some people can't fathom the fact that there are people in the world who have different likes and dislikes, skills and interests.

It further blows me away that these people cannot resist the opportunity to piss in someone else's thread just because they can.  This is trolling if you ask me.

+1
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

My decision to purchase this computer was not based on feeling hardware or software was superior in anyway. In fact, going into it. I knew it would handicap me in the way of losing compatibility between my BlackBerry. I bought it because I like the features that the machine offers, the solidly machined chassis of the system, clean looks and excellent tech specs. The machine flies, it's got a thin and low profile and later down the road, I can get a decent amount of cash back when I decide to sell it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Trolling?

Hah, grow some skin.

Sure, people have different interests. Some like Obama. Some like McCain. It is possible to have stupid interests. Paying out the ass for an overpriced inferior system is one of them.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My decision to purchase this computer was not based on feeling hardware or software was superior in anyway. In fact, going into it. I knew it would handicap me in the way of losing compatibility between my BlackBerry. I bought it because I like the features that the machine offers, the solidly machined chassis of the system, clean looks and excellent tech specs. The machine flies, it's got a thin and low profile and later down the road, I can get a decent amount of cash back when I decide to sell it.

If that is what you are interested in, you did well.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The trackpad is pretty flippin cool. I'm definitely enjoying more tracking real estate on the pad itself. The glass is very smooth and is deadly accurate. So far, I find no qualms or anything that I will dislike about the computer

You "clicking" with your thumb? I do on my PB.

That would be one hell of a habit for me to have to break.

ETA: Also, how much space is there between the body of the keys and the aluminum web of the case? A minor pet peeve of mine from my PB is the junk getting under the keyboard.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:25:50 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Sign up for a membership to NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Profesionals) for $99 and get some wonderful discounts and benefits … if you buy through Apple's online store you'll enjoy saving of around 17% (you get a "Members Only Storefront" to make all you purchases through) … Sure it's through the online store, and you have to have it shipped to you, but shipping is free and the savings add up …

The 2.4 Ghz 15" MBP
"Street Value" $1999
NAPP price $1839

The 2.53 Ghz 15" MBP
"Street Value" $2499
NAPP price $2299

The 2.5 Ghz 17" MBP
"Street Value" $2799
NAPP price $2575

NAPP is a great value for anyone doing graphics or Photography, lots of discounts make up for the cost of Membership, plus you get a subscription to Photoshop User magazine.

Sorry this didn't save you any cash, maybe it will help someone else … $100 is $100, and if you can save it, it's worth the effort.

I got the book for free, went on my corporate American Express after my boss ok'd the purchase :-D
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Trolling?

Hah, grow some skin.

Sure, people have different interests. Some like Obama. Some like McCain. It is possible to have stupid interests. Paying out the ass for an overpriced inferior system is one of them.

There you go again.  Pissing in a thread with your attention whore "look at me, look at me and my superior computer skillz!  I roxx and you mac people r teh suxxorz!!"  

If you are happy with your computer great.  We are happy with ours.  Nobody here including the OP asked for your opinion.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Trolling?

Hah, grow some skin.

And being an condescending, opinionated SOB is one of yours.

But thanks for checking in anyway. Sorry mommy didn't hug you more.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The 2.4 Ghz 15" MBP
"Street Value" $1999
NAPP price $1839

The 2.53 Ghz 15" MBP
"Street Value" $2499
NAPP price $2299

The 2.5 Ghz 17" MBP
"Street Value" $2799
NAPP price $2575

I got the book for free, went on my corporate American Express after my boss ok'd the purchase :-D

If it was free that is awesome.  If you payed that much for one I would have called you insane.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:28:04 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You "clicking" with your thumb? I do on my PB.

That would be one hell of a habit for me to have to break.

ETA: Also, how much space is there between the body of the keys and the aluminum web of the case? A minor pet peeve of mine from my PB is the junk getting under the keyboard.

Very very minimal amount of space. In fact, when the keyboard backlighting comes on, there is just a small small enough space for light to escape. I don't foresee it to be a future issue.

Also, that habit wouldn't be an issue for you. The entire trackpad is the button, so if you decided by force of habit to press down on your thumb (like I do also), it doesn't move the cursor at all, and your thumb behaves like it usually does. Very nifty stuff
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Trolling?

Hah, grow some skin.

There you go again.  Pissing in a thread with your attention whore "look at me, look at me and my superior computer skillz!  I roxx and you mac people r teh suxxorz!!"  

If you are happy with your computer great.  We are happy with ours.  Nobody here including the OP asked for your opinion.  

My second post was pissing in your direction, not the OPs.

In fact, I said the OP did well with his purchase

ETA: Also, people were giving their opinions regarding one OS vs others in this thread. Some of these opinions were factually wrong. I responded by giving my opinion. Last I checked, arfcom doesn't have the free speech restrictions found on other forums like DU.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Trolling?

Hah, grow some skin.

I forgot that overly emotional crybabies flock to the Mac threads.

I apologize for hurting your feelings.

I'll go now
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd2/Einfaches_Ratsel/IMG00040.jpg

[Borat]It is eh, very nice![/Borat]

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Also, that habit wouldn't be an issue for you. The entire trackpad is the button, so if you decided by force of habit to press down on your thumb (like I do also), it doesn't move the cursor at all, and your thumb behaves like it usually does. Very nifty stuff

How's drag-and-drop working?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:38:42 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How's drag-and-drop working?

Drag and drop works flawlessly. I hold down the button with my thumb and maneuver the item with my index. I just tried doing that and moving my thumb at the same time, which has no effect on it, so I guess it's programmed to sense which finger should not impact direction.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Drag and drop works flawlessly. I hold down the button with my thumb and maneuver the item with my index. I just tried doing that and moving my thumb at the same time, which has no effect on it, so I guess it's programmed to sense which finger should not impact direction.

Son of a gun. Those hippy bastards sure are smart.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Trolling?

Hah, grow some skin.

I'll go now

That is what we have been trying to tell you.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Trolling?

Hah, grow some skin.

I'll go now

That is what we have been trying to tell you.

Touché
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#44]
It would be a pretty crappy car for the price. I bought a New macbook for my daughter when they were released. She'll get it Monday. I'm still on my Macbook. The new releases are pretty impressive machines. I like em. Good choice.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Actually it's always the PC guys constantly trying to make themselves feel better about whatever's going on in their lives coming in and making nonsense allegations about a system they know nothing about that crack me up. They come off as the overly emotional ones...

I'll go now

Quitter.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
they may cost more, but i haven't restarted/shutdown my mac in 3 months, still no glitches.  my laptop.....sucks

My Windows desktop hasn't been rebooted in almost 7 months.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd2/Einfaches_Ratsel/IMG00040.jpg

That needs some racing stripes or something.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Son of a gun. Those hippy bastards sure are smart.

Here is the list of shortcut keys which you just might like to try.
support.apple.com/kb/HT1343
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:59:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My Windows desktop hasn't been rebooted in almost 7 months.

Go start it up then.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top