Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2001 10:32:54 PM EDT
I want my daughters to grow up independant and tough.  At 5 and 6, it's a little early to start indoctrinating them, but given the "girl" movies I have seen lately, I really don't want them to turn into a Shirley Temple helpless type.  I don't mind them growing up feminine (I would prefer it), but I also don't want them helpless--if someone attacks them, I want to bail them out of lock up because they kicked the SH*T out of him (and he's in the ICU and can't give his side of the story), rather than picking them up in the hospital rape center.

They have seen Charlie's Angels, Supergirl, etc.  But, there isn't much out there that I know of for a younger audience with tough chicks in it.  
Any suggestions?

Things like "Long Kiss Goodnight" are a little to violent for them at that age, and I prefer NOT to get too much into the "gee Daddy, what's that guy doing on top of that girl" questions that some other movies would cause (at least not for a few years).

When they get a little older, Long Kiss Goodnight, etc. might work, but for now I am looking for PG rated stuff.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 10:37:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Have a son
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 10:57:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 11:28:05 PM EDT
[#5]
How about Alien(all of them)or Terminator? BTW, who wins in an ass whoopin contest, Lt. Ripley, or Sarah Conner? As for the new Charlies Angels, I believe Ms. Barrymore is pretty anti-gun, as well as being a disease ridden skank.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 11:57:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the mom in "Old Yeller" would be a good example. Also a lot more realistic than some of the more current movies. [uzi]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 12:08:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 1:28:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Tank Girl.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 6:48:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 7:03:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Miss Congeniality - Sandra Bollock
Blue Steel - Jaime Lee Curtis
Tomb Raider - Angelina Jolie
Bad Girls - Drew Barrymore, Andie Macdowell
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 7:20:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How about Alien(all of them)or Terminator? BTW, who wins in an ass whoopin contest, Lt. Ripley, or Sarah Conner? As for the new Charlies Angels, I believe Ms. Barrymore is pretty anti-gun, as well as being a disease ridden skank.
View Quote

Charlies Angels is ENTIRELY anti-gun. saw several interviews with the stars and THEY decided the "Angels" would not use guns. to show that they could beat the gun-toting bad guys without having to use guns themselves.

No_Expert

P.S. Ripley would rip Sarah Connor apart
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 7:34:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Teach them to carry a gun or run. They are not beating any guy up let alone putting them in ICU. Hollywood is fake don't you know.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 7:39:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 8:01:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I take it "Sybill" is out..?  [:D]

While I can't seem to recall the name of it, the John Wayne movie with the cantankerous old woman that he is traveling with...  "
Dutchess and the Dirt Water Fox" immediately comes to mind, but I'm not sure that's the right movie.

Link Posted: 12/9/2001 8:19:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I take it "Sybill" is out..?  [:D]

While I can't seem to recall the name of it, the John Wayne movie with the cantankerous old woman that he is traveling with...  "
Dutchess and the Dirt Water Fox" immediately comes to mind, but I'm not sure that's the right movie.

View Quote

Rooster Cogburn... with Katherine Hepburn
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#17]
2 mules for sister sarah.....eastwood......corny, but true grit......what was the one with (meg ryan?) as the downed chopper pilot.....
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 8:49:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
what was the one with (meg ryan?) as the downed chopper pilot.....
View Quote

Courage under fire.. A very good strong woman flick.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 8:51:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the suggestions.

I am well aware of the fact that I will need to teach them self reliance and self defense.  However, having them watch the "Oh, I'm so helpless because I'm a girl" movies runs a little counter to what I'll be teaching.  You will see a tear of pride in my eye when one of them watches that kind of movie and says "What a Wussie--She should have kicked him in the Balls and then stomped him."

The 6 year old has gone shooting with me once and wants to go again (She knows the 3 laws of firearms handling).  The 5 y.o. is a little immature yet.

They get a kick out of Charlie's Angel's--although it is anti gun, the girls are relatively tough.  Tomb Raider is definitely one of their favorites.  

La Fem Nikita (the original) and Point of No Return (the original was better) are definite possibilities, but a little bloody for this age. Terminator and the Alien series are also future possibilities (a little too violent now).

Feds is an excellent suggestion--unfortunately, I don't have HBO, so I may look for it on DVD.

Dale007--

Teach them to carry a gun or run. They are not beating any guy up let alone putting them in ICU. Hollywood is fake
                don't you know.
View Quote

While I am well aware of that, and was (mostly) kidding about putting someone in the ICU--tell me what would happen if someone like Mia Hamm kicked you in the "Family Jewels" full force, or  Anna Kournikova backhanded your nose?  In this particular city and state, Concealed Carry is not allowed--once I am done with school and we move back east, that will be less of an issue.  However, the law doesn't generally permit minors to get a concealed carry license.  And there are definitely times when less than lethal force is indicated.

Link Posted: 12/9/2001 9:20:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Maybe start them in martial arts classes.
The earlier the better.
By the time they are 16, they *will* be able to put the BG's into an ICU.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The earlier the better.
View Quote

Sadly this is only true if the BG hasnt been to the same classes...
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Troy,, beat me to it Mira Sorvino rocks in The Replacement Killers.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#23]
AFARR...It`s really up to you......I wrestled with my kids since they were old enough to know what it meant...right now..my daughter is 22 and married to a marine...she could probably kick his ass...not really, but she takes no shit from no-one...it`s caused her some trouble in school...not a bully..just short fused.....rather have her that way than otherwise.....believe me...she has decked more than one wise ass.....she is a beautiful young woman as well...yes I`m lucky....but it is TOTALLY correct....they learn what they live....start wrestlin`.....[:)]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#24]
If you are looking for some basic TV shows that show strong women try:

Earth Final Conflict (season 1 and 5)
Andromeda
Dark Angel
Alias
Babylon 5
Newer Star Trek shows (Voyager, TNG and DS9)
The Lost World
La Femme Nikita

Fritz

Link Posted: 12/9/2001 10:51:48 AM EDT
[#25]
AFAAR,

For their age, you need to think animated films.

Run these names through amazon.com or your favorite search engine of choice.

Magic Knights Rayearth (video and comic)
Sailor Moon (video and comic)
Kikis Delivery Service (movie)
Nadia, Secret of the Blue Water (video)
Mobile Suit Gundam (NOT Mobile Suit Gundam Wing)(video series, movie series, and comic)
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket(video)
Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team(video)
Robotech (video series)
Dragon Ball (video and comic)
Dragon Ball Z (video and comic)

Once they get over the age of 10 or so things really become much easier. For over 10 years of age I would recomend the following:

Gunsmith Cats (video and comic)
Armitage III (video)
Samurai X, aka Ruroni Kenshin (video and comic)
Ranma 1/2 (video and comic)
Inu Yasha (video and comic)
Tenchi Muyo (video and comic)
Fushigi Yugi: The Mysterious Play (video and comic)
Cowboy Beebop (video)
Angel Links (video)
Princess Mononoki (movie)
Naussica of the Valley of the Wind (graphic novel)
Battle Angel (video and graphic novel series)
Bubblegum Crisis 2040 (video)
Space Battelship Nadesco (video and comic)
Gall Force (video series)
Gall Force: Earth Chapter (video series)
Ghost in the Shell (movie and comic)
Kite (video)
Blue Submarine No.6 (video)

Enjoy!

Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The earlier the better.
View Quote

View Quote

I got one word for you;  Gracie jiu-Jitsu

OK well technically that's three but you get the idea.  1)Pretty easy to learn 2) size DOESN'T matter 3)Hard to forget 4)No complicated forms and theories 5) works in the real world.

I'm 300lbs and played Football at a DI school and I regularly get worked by my 5'10" 150lb wife with her Gracie.  I know some too but she's a little better.  I got knocked out of two-a-days for a week once by a 140lb guy in our class.

teach her Gracie and she'll be OK against any average rapist/thug/ physical attacker.  if he's got a gun or there are multiple attackers she can always use the taurus m85 ultralight that you'll get her right?

crashburnrepeat
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:51:33 AM EDT
[#27]

PS- Edited because I forgot to add a recomendation for a tough movie chick;
Princess Leia in any of the Star Wars movies she's in.  She shoots blasters, she rides bikes, she flies planes, she chokes bad guys,  she looks hot in a gold bikini.  What more could you ask for?

crash
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Oh, daddy!  You're on the right track!

How about "Tina and Louise"? Great movie to teach your dughter assertivenss! [:P]

DaMan

Link Posted: 12/9/2001 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The earlier the better.
View Quote

View Quote

I got one word for you;  Gracie jiu-Jitsu

OK well technically that's three but you get the idea.  1)Pretty easy to learn 2) size DOESN'T matter 3)Hard to forget 4)No complicated forms and theories 5) works in the real world.

I'm 300lbs and played Football at a DI school and I regularly get worked by my 5'10" 150lb wife with her Gracie.  I know some too but she's a little better.  I got knocked out of two-a-days for a week once by a 140lb guy in our class.

teach her Gracie and she'll be OK against any average rapist/thug/ physical attacker.  if he's got a gun or there are multiple attackers she can always use the taurus m85 ultralight that you'll get her right?

crashburnrepeat
View Quote

Oh I am very much in favor of making sure your kids, especially girls, get martial arts instruction when they are young. It should not be considered a SPORT but a SKILL something you learn growing up like reading or artithmatic.

But their are limits, could your wife beat one of the Gracie brothers Crash? That is what I was getting at. Men are still bigger and stronger and will probably win [i]if they have the same level of training[/i].  So dont consider it a panacia.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 2:28:48 PM EDT
[#30]
DaMan--did you mean "Thelma and Louise"?  That is for when they get a little older.

CBR--Funny you should mention Gracie JJ, I just noticed a place literally around the corner from where I live that teaches it.  I may look into it for myself also.

Thanks!!

Link Posted: 12/9/2001 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Here is the 3rd one for Replacement Killers. You will even enjoy watching that with them when they get older. Its a great movie I replay it alot. Only thing that bothered me was the 9mm conversion kit on the M4's. No sex violent shooting but nothing horrific. Oh did I mention Mira is one sexy chick! [:P]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
DaMan--did you mean "Thelma and Louise"?  That is for when they get a little older.
View Quote

Yep!  That's it!  Dikes who dumped themselves in the "Grand Canyon"?  Great stuff for your daughter!

DaMan
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
...what was the one with (meg ryan?) as the downed chopper pilot.....
View Quote

She was on Letterman afterwards, bitching about how she had to shoot all these dumb guns, etc. and what a stupid movie it was, all war-like & whatnot.  Only in it for the $$, homely, and not too good an actress, either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top