Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2001 1:24:56 PM EDT
I need to buy a m16 automatic style carrier and saw a chrome fluted carrier for sale. Does anyone know wether they are good or not? I read in Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement Jan 2002 issue that Knight's sr-15 Match .223 :          

"The SR-15 didn't feel like other s of its kind. Part of it was certainly its two-stage Match trigger, but the mechanism didn't sound the same either. A few more shots revealed it to be the ultimate smoothness of the hard chrome plated bolt and carrier combined with special finish to the buffer. The sound of these parts in the SR-15 is a 'swish' instead of the standard 'thang.'"

Is this true? Is a chrome carrier a good buy? Thanks for any knowledge!

Link Posted: 12/7/2001 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Read this
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=74776[/url]
Hope it helps.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for that link, but people are just arguing that the chrome would make one stand out and camouflage would be pointless.
I would just put a brass deflector over it and that would make all their arguments worthless.

So, not about camouflage...
Does anyone have knowledge of how good they are, beit less jump, quieter movement (which would be perfect for a silencer), whether fluting helps at all, or reliability/longevity?

Thanks for knowledge on this!
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
whether fluting helps at all, or reliability/longevity?

Thanks for knowledge on this!
View Quote

Have you worn out a standard bolt carrier?

Why spend money to fix a part that works fine and is a PROVEN design to be a beta tester for the lastest, greatest, Gee-Whiz chromeplated, techolubed, nickel fiberiod, whatchamacallit?

You pays yer money, you takes yer chances.  I don't see the need for it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, they put sand cuts in the FAL carrier, so perhaps fluting the AR carrier could have the same effect? i.e. increased reliability.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 6:38:03 AM EDT
[#5]
The chrome bolt will wear on your upper.

If you absolutely mush "jazz up" your bolt carrier, the Robar NP3 treatment is reported to do well.  

Personally, I've never worn out a bolt carrier nor saw any reason to modify one.  Even if you did, they're not too expensive to replace.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 9:33:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I haven't worn out a carrier, I'm just in the process of building the "perfect rifle" (Aren't we all?!) I have looked around and found that there is not much difference in price between the two m16 carriers.($100-$150 VS $150-$175 chrome) I do agree chrome would look ugly and would need to be hidden. Any new suggestions or personal experience on np3 being a good alternative or why/how a chrome carrier might hurt the gun are appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 11:29:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I rather like the cool look of a hard chrome carrier & I have not seen any wear on the upper either. Adding a Les Baer hard chrome bolt looks even better.
IMHO

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/016/wg/kE/wK/BX48058.jpg[/img]

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top