BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2001 3:53:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for your personal account of 9/11. The general news media is now fixated on the battle in Afghanistan, so there is little being reported on NYC WTC/Pentagon clean up. But I still sign on(its free) to the New York Times website to track the progress of the 9/11 cleanup.
[url]http://www.nytimes.com[/url]

I also take a few minutes to read the about the people that died.  There are some real touching stories.
[url]http://www.nytimes.com/pages/national/portraits/[/url]

[url]www.angelfire.com/az2/zr1/wtc/wtc.swf
[/url]
I still watch the slide show with Enya's "Only Time"  and "Watermar.k"
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 4:12:14 PM EDT
[#3]
… Yeah, that was pretty much a day from Hell. You should be very proud of your son for “taking control” like he did. That would make me proud too!

I saw things unfold in real time. Only it was on TV for me. I went to work for a short while and decided, like most of the folks there, to leave early. I’ve never been affected emotionally over an issue like that in my life. I remember calling all those I love that day just to make sure they knew it. The following months changed me too. Sat a t home for hours glued to the news. I even reloaded about 2000 rounds of ammo that week just to keep busy.
Like you, I kept the AR right next to me for days and checked all my “lists” twice.
I had been to the WTC building one time for work. I remember how unimaginably huge they were. My second youngest brother flew out of McChord AFB on a C141 to help FEMA just days after the attacks. I called him and his wife to make sure he was OK from time to time. I was rather intense and he didn’t sleep much there. He brought home some unbelievable footage they were actually allowed to film.
I’ll never forget 9/11. I’m just glad our leaders are as hell bent on extracting our pound of flesh as much as I do.
On the positive side, it does seem to have brought us closer as a nation.
Take care.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Frank...I'm tacking this uptop for a few days, OK buddy?

Ray
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Obviously almost all of the media attention and accolades have gone to the FD/PD/EMS crews who responded. It's great you can tell your story and let everyone know how it was for everyone else.

You were luckier than most, who could not get home to honor the pact they made with God to protect their wives and children. My wife really didn't understand the way I felt after the attack (why didn't I want to watch the news for a couple weeks afterwards) or why I absolutely freaked out and made her go home with me immediately following the crash of the plane in the Queens so I could be near my gear in case my reserve unit was activated again. Talking about it is good, keep doing it. It's good for you.

Stay safe

Sherm

Link Posted: 12/6/2001 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I am not ready to share my 9-11 tales, but I have to say, Frank, that you did a good job in raising your son to be a good trooper.

One thing I must say is that this event caused me to purchase my Armalite M15A4(t).
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 6:19:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for sharing your story, Frank. The day was so surreal. Looking back It (and most of that week), is just a blur.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#11]
God must, indeed, have plans for you.  You got a second chance...make the most of it.  Life is too short.

I'm glad you're ok & got it off your chest....its important not to let things build up inside you.

Link Posted: 12/6/2001 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My 11 year old son called me on my cell phone to see if I was OK and all I could do is cry and tell him that I love him. He told me that his school let out early and he made cheese sandwiches and brought his 8 year old brother and the 2 cats into the basement for protection. He is my hero.

Sounds like your your son is 11 going on 30.  Good job.  Thanks for sharing.

edited 'cuz I type like one of those monkeys from Century Arms
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Frank, is this the same kid that was shooting machine guns at Emory's place ? [:)]

If so, he's not only a very responsible kid, he's a good shot too...
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:28:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Seems to me the young guy is also a very lucky lad to have a dad such as you, Frank!
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#16]
 Frank, you are one good man, and in the process of raising another.  God bless you, and God bless the families of the victims.
 May god have mercy on those who were behind this.  WE WON'T!      EW
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Back To The Top.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#18]
For me, a full continent away, the whole day was very surreal...and like most here (I think) I still haven't managed to fully come to grips with what happened.  
Thanks Frank, for relating your story, and thanks for raising a fine young man - at least some of the generations coming up won't be dumbed down, and God bless you and your family - I hope that the limited hours haven't cut severely into your budget (especially for guns and ammo [;)]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#19]
There are more than just a few us that also started networking immediately to have our AR15.COM brothers located in the midst of all of this...  We didn't rest until all had either been contacted or checked in when they found the time!
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#20]
This event is to my generation what the JFK assasination is to my parents' generation (I'm 23). I walked into the lobby of William & Mary Law School for my 10am class on 9/11 (which was obviously cancelled), and I will never forget what I saw. I hadn't heard about the attack yet. I have never seen so many grown men and women in such a state of shock. Deans, professors, students of all ages and backgrounds. People were either crying or completely speechless. Personally, I saw the Pentagon (110 miles away) and then hauled ass home to "gear up" and have my Dad fax me a prescription for Cipro (I had chem/bio fears on 9/11...long before the media caught on).

I live in VA right now and have no direct connections to NYC, but I know many people that saw this horrific event first hand. I have several friends that has near misses (one that was supposed to interview at a firm at the WTC on 9/12, another that was supposed to be on the AA flight that hit...he missed it b/c he got in a car accident on the way to Logan...thank God for Boston drivers). This has truly affected EVERYONE in some way, and I thank you for sharing this with us.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for posting that, Frank.
I too reflected on the 1000's of people in the
upper floor with no hope of escape, and at the
time wondered "Seems impossible to put the
fires out"  but never considered that the fires
would topple the buildings.
As you mentioned witnessing those who jumped,
I wondered whether they jumped so that their
remains could eventually be identified for the
sake of closure for their loved ones, rather
than be cremated beyond any hope of ID, as so
many others were.  Just wondering aloud, not
trying to make any generalizations.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 7:16:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm glad you were OK, Frank.  Sounds like you have a sensible family (you are fortunate).

I would like to express my admiration for the New Yorkers who didn't panic or loot or cause trouble when the WTC attack hit.  Instead, you folks showed your fellow Americans and the World the meaning of Courage and Fortitude.

Thank you, and God Bless.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Good work Squid.  Peggy Noonan's Friday column on opinionjournal.com recommends that everyone write down where they were and what happened to them that day.  One day it will be as vaulable to your family and historians as rememberances from December 7, 1941.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:38:10 AM EDT
[#25]
I personally would rather read one personal account story rather than the sanitized versions in the general news media.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top