Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2001 5:25:07 AM EDT
[url]http://www.msnbc.com/news/668321.asp[/url]

Its nice to see a politician live up to his word...
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 6:11:24 AM EDT
[#1]
THANK YOU! President GWB and Attorney General Ashcroft!

Hang in there.  There will be howls of indignation from the liberty haters.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 6:21:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Without information on legal gun buyers, how will the FBI ever be able to protect us from terrorists with knives?z
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 7:26:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 7:44:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 7:48:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 7:50:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
NO NO NO NO NO!  How could this possibly be?  Our worthless president only wants to deprive us of our rights, and his minions like Ashcroft are hard at work to achieve that laudible goal.  No, this has to be a mistake.  The Justice Department must have been running down the hall full bore with the records to beg the FBI to use them.

MOMMY!
View Quote

I was JUST going to post this.

Seems like SOME people aren't happy unless they can %@#!* at their gov't. Or is it JUST teh Libertarians doing the #@!*$ing 'round here now???

[}:D]

Nomex on, 'berts!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 12/6/2001 7:53:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
NO NO NO NO NO!  How could this possibly be?  Our worthless president only wants to deprive us of our rights, and his minions like Ashcroft are hard at work to achieve that laudible goal.  No, this has to be a mistake.  The Justice Department must have been running down the hall full bore with the records to beg the FBI to use them.

Imbroglio, tell us this isn't so!  GWB is protecting gun owners?  You and the libertarians on this board promised us he was the worse thing to gun owners since Sarah Brady!  how could this be?

MOMMY!
View Quote

Just because they say something doesn't necessarily make it true. For example, why would they need to DENY access to these records when they said a while back they would be destroying them after 24 hours? How do you deny access to something that isn't there in the first place?
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 7:55:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Kennedy tried to grill ashcroft on this today, and Kennedy then suggested changing the law.  It figures, Ashcroft kind of shrugged him off.
View Quote

I saw that too.

It was like this: Kennedy, "While on the topic of you abusing the rights of people, I would like to suggest abusing records in an ex post facto manner."

Ashcroft, "What ever, fat boy.[rolleyes][-!-!-]"
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:14:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Without information on legal gun buyers, how will the FBI ever be able to protect us from terrorists with knives?z
View Quote

No kidding.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:34:27 AM EDT
[#10]
The Leftists are having conniption fits over this.

That makes me smile.

[:D]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 9:32:29 AM EDT
[#11]
the anti's and so-far-left that we are falling off of the earth crowd are having convulsions.

make sure to email/call the AG and Prez to let them know we thank them for refusing the records.  
i also called and left word with the judiciary cmtee members that i think this is a political farce and their time would be better spent filling the hundreds of judical vacancies.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 9:53:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#13]
shotar, what you just said only adds fuel to the argument that NICS is useless.  People intent on doing harm always find weapons to do it with.  The NICS is a false sense of security.  Prohibiting felons from owning guns does nothing to stop them.  They are crooks!  It is just a high-minded, utopian idealism that makes us think that laws stop people from acting in certain ways.  Meanwhile, those laws have only had an impact on the non-criminals--you and me.  

Maybe the guy who pointed the gun at you was a desperate crook because he couldn't get a job after undergoing the stigma of being jailed for a non-violent crime such as drug posession?  Most people aren't inherently evil, but they can be easily driven to a life of crime by our system that tries to make criminals out of everyone.

If you support NICS, then you have no business pretending to advocate the Bill of Rights.  The NICS and the 2nd Amendment are mutually exclusive.  And if you don't support the Bill of Rights, then you don't support most of the people who post on this board.  You're on Schumer's and Feinstein's side, in other words.

Just for the record, I personally "have no problem" seeing you and them tarred and feathered. You having "no problem" is the problem--it ain't up to you, so don't act like it is.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#14]
All the usual suspect newspapers have now jumped into the act with editorials bashing Ashcroft.  What hypocrites!  I really like their assumption that buying a gun is automatically some suspect act.  In some ways, it demonstrates what they think of us.  99+% of guns will [b]never[/b] be used in a crime, but if you buy a gun, you must be dangerous.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just for the record, I personally "have no problem" seeing you and them tarred and feathered. You having "no problem" is the problem--it ain't up to you, so don't act like it is.
View Quote

C'mon trickshot, I agree with you on NICS, but this is not really a productive and useful way to advance our cause.  The facts are on our side, and I have found that gentle persuasion works much better than vitriol and invective.  I understand your frustration, but shotar is one of our own, even if he doesn't agree with us on this issue.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I personally have no problem with NICS.  It has never proved an inconvenience and I have seen it stop convicted violent persons from making felons or dupes out of law abiding business men.  
View Quote

shotar, my entire history of interaction with law enforcement consists of one traffic citation for making an improper left turn in a construction zone.  This was five years ago; I went to traffic school and paid my fine.  Yet, I [b]always[/b] get a NICS "delayed" response, and have to return the next day to pick up my gun.  For some reason, I seem to have acquired a de facto waiting period for the rest of my life.  And of course, they won't tell me why.  There are lots of other people like me who always gets NICS "delayed" responses, and one common factor seems to be that we have had a criminal background check performed for employment purposes.  Ironically, this makes us more suspect!

Criminals always have and always will obtain guns regardless of the law - that is why we call them criminals.

And if background checks are useful when people purchase guns, what about:
Background checks for church ministers?  After all, some of them have been known to abuse their position of trust.
Background checks for reporters and journalists?  They occupy a position of great influence in our Republic, after all.
Anyway, I could go on and on, but you get the idea.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Attorney General to Congress: I am just obeying the laws you guys passed.  And why are you leftists so worried about privacy rights and civil rights willing to dive into gun purchase records?

GunLvr

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top