Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2001 8:31:28 PM EDT
I do.  I filled out the yellow form that will keep the bad people away and waited while my FFL called the FBI.  The box that my M15A2 was in sat next to me on the counter.  I opened it, it was beautiful.  When the check came back he finalized the sale and pushed the box towards me.  I laughed because I, an unshaven 18 year old, was walking out of a gunstore with an AR15.  Now Im getting ready for my second background check.  This time for an AK.  How sweet it is.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude,

You only have 1 rifle?

[:D]

BWaaaaahaaaaaaahaaaaaa!
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually 8 but the rest were gifts.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 8:47:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've never had a background check.  All my weapons I purchased after I got my CHL.  I took the class with my Dad's 92fs, so I didn't have to do that one either.  But, I must've filled out about 15 yellow forms in the past couple of years...
View Quote

CHL? Is that the same as a CCW? do you not have to fill out forms after you get a license to carry?
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#6]
You people ALL SUCK!
It is not fair that you get to live in Free America.

Try living in the PRNJ for a while.

Some noteworthy points:
-----------------------------
- NO CCW
- Magazine Capacity for ANY magazine must be under 15 rounds (NO exceptions for "pre-ban", etc..)  (The way "around" this is to block large capacity mags down to 15 rounds...)
- Trigger Lock Law
- "Smart Gun" Law  (will effectively "ban" all conventional firearms once a "smart gun" is available for sale)
- BB and Pellet guns are considered FIREARMS (all laws apply)
- Firearms ID Card or DL are required to purchase handgun ammunition
- Firearms ID Card is required to buy long guns (from an FFL *OR* private sale)
- Firearms ID AND an individual "Pistol Purchase Permit" is required for each handgun purchase.
- Assault Weapon Law (was in effect in 1991 and was a model for the federal 1994 law) -- NO SUCH THING as pre-ban in NJ.   It is just banned. (citizens were rendered into criminals overnight -- no way to legally dispose of the weapons either)
- Hollowpoint ammo.  (strange law -- essentially you can not carry it or use it for "illegal purposes", but can possess it.... but are usually charged with it if used -- so no one bothers taking the risk of undue prosecution)
- Self Defense: Huh?  The basic concept: You are required to retreat to the furthest point in your home before being allowed to use deadly force against an armed intruder.

BTW:  They PROSECUTE Gun Crimes (ie: having a pre-ban high cap magazine, etc...HEAVILY and let ordinary murders and rapists run free to prey on the decent citizens of this state.

Here's a quick rundown of the paperwork procedure:

--------------------------------------
1. Go to your local police department and pickup forms. (ALOT of paperwork)  
You will repeatedly get asked "Why do you think you need a gun? during the ENTIRE process)

--  There are several fees involved
(around$50-100 bucks if I recall correctly)
and they make you get money orders.

2. Call for an appointment to get fingerprinted.

3. Show up to get printed and get told that they have no time to assist you.
Reschedule several times.

4. Finally get to meet with someone at the PD.
You get fingerprinted several times. (once for FBI check / once for State Police check / etc..)  

5. You have to fill out a mental health history form.  (it's amazing that *I* passed this one !)  [:D]    
Actually... they check with all mental institutions to see if you have ever been treated or locked up in their padded rooms.

6. You have to give 2 references (that are NOT related to you) and these folks get a letter and form in the mail from the police chief asking questions about your character, length of time known, etc...

-- Great for keeping your firearms purchasing information confidential, huh?

ALL OF THIS WILL GET YOU A FIREARMS ID CARD IN APROX 6-9 MONTHS.  (the law says 30 days, but NO ONE ever gets their stuff back under 6 months)

Then....

You have to go through most of the same crap every single time that you want to buy a handgun. (even private sales!)

You get a pistol purchase permit that is valid for 90 days and is good for the purchase of one handgun.

Geez!  If it wasn't for family, I'd have been out of this cesspool years ago!

Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:12:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a CHL also and I don't think I have ever had to do the NICS.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh yeah...
------------------------------------
Wanna buy a nice shiny daisy bb pistol for your son???

Sorry.  You can't.

YOU will have to make the purchase for yourself and must go through the whole paperwork process and get a pistol purchase permit to make your acquisition.
-------------------------------------

Want to lend your father a rifle to go hunting with?

Sorry.  You can't.

No "lending of weapons" is permitted.
He must purchase it from 'ya

Have a nice old (pre-ban) mini-14 with a folding stock?

Sorry.  That'll be a 3rd. degree crime.
Do not pass go -- visit jail for 10 years

Have a loaded pistol in your dresser drawer?
Have a 17 year old kid in the house?

Another 3rd. degree crime !  
Go buy a gun safe.  We must keep the criminals free from bullet wounds. (by keeping the decent, law abiding citizens far away from loaded firearms)

---------------------------------------

WHAT????????     Someone is trying to rape
your wife????   She better not reach for YOUR
gun !   That'd be illegal possession of a firearm.

Chances are that SHE would be charged for defending herself.  (and the scumbag would probably get probation -- it's "only" rape -- that's nothing here in the PRNJ)

My wife and I have separate guns in locked "palmer security" drawers under our bed.
God forbid she uses mine or I use hers...

---------------------------------------------

Whew!   Sorry about the ranting and raving.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#9]
NO need for a NICS check on every firearm purchase if you live in NY. You can get your self a NICS card as long as you have a pistol license. Good for 5 years before you have to renew. See a gun you want, whip it out..[:)]and carry it home. No phone calls, cooling off period, limit ect........
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#10]
PRNJ sucks, get the hell out. You guys need to get out and once all the good people are gone, PRNJ can rot for all I give a damn.

BTW, as for the question. I remember going into a shop in Seminole County and buying my first gun. Really cool. Filled out the forms, passed NICS. BTW, Florida's NICS law sunsets in 6 months (June 1, 2002.)

Then I walked out with a nice Pre-GCA Rifle with no S/N at all. I love those Pre-GCA guns.

Later on, I bought one in Volusia. I tried to sell it down in Broward when I was hard up for Cash and the SOB Pawn Broker wanted nothing to do with it, becuase it had no Serial Numbers. He aslo gave me alot of wierd looks when I told him none of my guns had S/Ns because they were all made before 1968. Broward are the only guys who ever gave me weird looks, besides one idiot Dealer in South (of I-20) Atlanta.

I bought a number of guns in Santa Rosa and Escambia county. Both were real cool. Then, I went back home to Broward to visit family for Thanksgiving. I went by the Gun Show that weekend to pick up an AR-15 lower and Guess what Broward has a waiting period, which especially includes Gun Shows. Well, it all moes down to two seperate laws which conflict. 790.33 says the State occupies all Firearms regulation, except that a county may duplicate state law on waiting periods which is 3 Days for Retail Sales of Handguns. This specifically exempts Current Gun Owners, those who have been threatened, CHL holders, and Gun Show Transactions. Then another simply says a county may have a 5 Day waiting period on Gun Sales in it's county. I tend to lean that the exemptions in 790.33 should be adhered to since the other law doesn't say it repeals the other law, or otherwise say that the current exemptions don't apply.

I don't get how they think denying me a gun for several days when I already owned a half dozen other guns would stop any crimes.

In fact, Broward's Crime Rate has risen since these waits were implemented.

Since I turned 18 I have owned 7 Regular Guns and 5 Air Guns. 2 of those Regular Guns had no S/N. 4 were made before 1968, 2 in 1967 which is why one of them had a S/N. The other was made in China in 1967, but imported which is why it was stamped all over with a S/N on every last part of the gun.

Funniest thing is that I aquired 5 of those 7 guns in the course of 2 weeks. I guess the ATF have me on their list now.

1 of those 5 had no 4473/NICS becuase it was Pre-1899.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:50:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Holy jeez RBAD! I thought Connecticut was bad.  We are nothing compared to New Jersey.  Is NJ worse than CA?
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:51:11 PM EDT
[#12]
My first background check was when I decided to do the NFA thing. My friends all had them but they had some military history or were postal workers, and had given up thier prints long ago.

My fingerprints were virgins.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#13]
My first 4473 was when I was 18 for a Mossberg 590.  They finally got my prints back in June for the CCW.  I wasn't too bother about it at the time, but it erks me a bit now.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#14]
RBAD, my sincerest condolences on the death of your freedom.  I now feel bad about complaining so much about my state illegally withholding CWP's.  It seems a little petty compared to what some people have to go through.z
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#15]
My first background check was an SBI performed by the NIS.  Then it's rifle after rifle.

I've been fingerprinted so many times I don't think the ink will ever come off.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#17]
My first background investigation was for a security clearance, and involved FBI agents talking to my neighbors, high school principal, girlfriend's parents, etc. Made a NICS check look like a day at the park.

Now I have a CHL and don't have to get one. [:P]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:44:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#19]
I own 7 guns and have only done the paperwork for one of them!  About a month ago, when I purchased my SAR-1.  I'm still trying to figure out why they make you type YES/NO instead of Y/N?!?!?!  I didn't know you had to be literate to purchase a firearm?!
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow, NJ Blows! It makes NY look like paradise.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I did a chart a while back of the various GUn Laws and quickly discovered that NJ was the only state that has every last Anti-Gun Law there is. They are one step away from a complete ban. They have lists and could easily do it. They have done it in 1991. I fully expect NJ to be the battleground when the PRNJ JBTs try to take the people's guns.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#22]
FWIW, I could never deal with NJ. I get pissed having to wait 3 Days to buy another gun. God forbid I have to wait 6 Months.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#23]
What are the grounds for failing a backround check?
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#24]
And you all talk sooooooo much shit about CA. NJ is just as bad if not worse!

Anyway, I remember my first background check. I bought a Hungarian AK. Had it transferred FFL to FFL. Ten long days later, I got to take home the AK. I still remember that feeling when I opened the box and sat in my room just looking at it and field stripping it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a CHL also and I don't think I have ever had to do the NICS.
View Quote

Try buying at Walmart.  They'll run you anyway.  I think they have a store policy or something.  Gunshows are fun if you have a CHL.  I plan on trying to get mine in the next few months!

M@
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 1:30:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Can't get a CHL until I turn 21. But, I will be trying to get Non-Resident CHLs in any state that will issue me one.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I had "assault weapons" when I was 15 years old - but I still remember well the day I walked into a gun store after my 18th birthday and bought a preban Colt AR-15 Sporter for $700.
It was then where my gun collection slowly evolved away from the Norinco MAK-90 and preban Ruger Mini-14K, which thank God - are now part of history - not my collection.

Link Posted: 12/6/2001 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#28]
The Caliban background check for firearms purchases, to which I have subjected myself dozens of times, pales in comparison to the MILITARY site clearance I had to get for a project I was contracting on in '82.  Fingerprints, questionaires, talking to the FBI dude, having them call my former employers, etc.; the works.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I got my CHL when I was 18.  Here in Indiana you can carry at 18, but not purchase till 21.

My first check was for an Enfield No1 mark 3, or SMLE.  That was back in 92.  I remember seeing stacks of Colt 6601s, several hundred at the Indy show.  Sticker price was $620, I wished I had bought more than just one.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 6:29:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, I have a special problem. I have the luck of being born out side of the country, while my dad was working for the [b]federal government[/b]. I am a US Citizen, since birth, and probably have more paperwork attesting to this than most folks.

Problem is, every NICS check results in delay, right up to the 3 day window.  I have to take this into account if I go to a gun show, and have to use a NC pistol permit to bypass the check.  

Good news is, I have just applied for Concealed Carry permit, which bypasses this crap for long gun purchases.

In other words, I am living proof that there is no f^ckin gun show loophole!

Link Posted: 12/6/2001 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Have not had to do a NICS yet, can't wait. The closest I have come is 3 ATF forms ( 2 Form 1's and Form 4), have another Form 4 to do here in another week or so for a 2nd suppressor. Someday I will decide to buy another firearm, but Title 1 stuff kinda bores me, I like the short models that take a little more effort to obtain, as not everybody can have a SBR(s). No offense towards anybody here intended.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I have heard of People that have an FFL not passing the Texas CHL background check.
View Quote

Same thing here in South Carolina.  The state police have a policy of denying anyone that they feel has committed a crime of "moral turpitude."  A crime of moral turpitude can be just about anything.  One guy was turned down for a CCW, because his wife wrote a bad check over a decade before he applied for his CCW.  In another case, a guy had the right to a CCW lost permanently, because he had an unpaid parking ticket.  The court claimed that he intended to defraud a local government.  The state courts have upheld this vague restriction, even for one guy that was pardoned.  I think the first time someone challenged it was Dayse vs. SLED (state police).  It's been nine months since I first applied for a CCW and I haven't been denied yet, so I haven't gotten to the point of being able to fight it.z
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Guys ... check out : http://www.uopsc.org/

See what pilots are going to have to go thru around SLC during the Olympics....

Ted...
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 9:33:42 PM EDT
[#34]

i think i've been NICS checked 3 times in the last year..once for an rem 870, then for a AR lower, then for a ruger p89.  the other guns i have i don't think i was checked for..although when i got the WUM1 (rom ak) the guy asked if i was 21 and i said no..then he found out i was from wisconsin and sold it to me..i guess you have to be 21 in MN to buy 'assault' weapons..thats what i was told anyway..that was about 5 years ago.  my first experience with NICS is when my friend wanted an sks and when he was being checked the system crashed.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top