Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2008 11:20:04 PM EDT
Well I'm looking on craigslist for a part time job that I can handle on my days off of school. I found one that seemed good.

Here it is:

Need Office Assistant!

We're looking to hire a couple of Full Time and Part Time office assistants for our firm...We're a small real estate office located downtown. You'll be given an array of different tasks - ranging from answering phones to running errands in our company car. We're open Monday - Friday, if you're interested, please send a resume and email to XXXXXX.

[email protected]

XXXX XXXXXXXX

Human Resources  

Compensation: $13 per hour
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Please, no phone calls about this job!
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.  

So I sent them my resume and then got this automated response email back at the same time:

Hello,

Thanks for the quick reply.  The job is pretty straight forward.  You
will answer the phone and may also be assigned other minor duties, but
we really need someone to answer the phones.  When running errands you
will be provided with a company credit card.

Due to bad experiences in the past, before we can send you an
application, we need you to get a credit check.  We prefer you use
http://FreeCreditUniverse.notlong.com  When you submit your information,
Credit Universe will send you your credit score.  When you email me
your credit score I can send you an application.

We have full and part time positions available.  Send me your schedule
and how many hours per week you plan on working.  Looking forward to
your response!

Sincerely
XXXXX XXXXXXX

What do you guys think? Being I haven't had many jobs in the past. This is my first time filling out a resume. Sounds kinda odd they want my credit score?
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 11:21:57 PM EDT
[#1]
SCAM!!!!!!!! EMIAL him that you have a 760 credit score......... Please send the application package
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 11:22:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Scam, but drag it out as long as you can for fun.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 11:23:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
SCAM!!!!!!!! EMIAL him that you have a 760 credit score......... Please send the application package
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 11:24:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I did not fill out the credit report. But I did send my resume which had my phone, email, name, and some job history but thats about it. Am I ok?
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 11:25:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Absolutely, positively, 100% scam.  They want you to give them your personal information, bank accounts, etc. so that they can steal you blind.  Delete the email and move on.  Don't even go to that link at all.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 11:26:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I understand its probably a scam but what is his plan? Say I make up a number like 720 and send it to him. Then what?
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 11:26:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link takes me to www.freecreditreport.com
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well I did not fill out the credit report. But I did send my resume which had my phone, email, name, and some job history but thats about it. Am I ok?

Dibs on guns, mags and ammo.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 11:27:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I understand its probably a scam but what is his plan? Say I make up a number like 720 and send it to him. Then what?

The link they included will go to some site that will ask you for your SSN, bank account number, etc. - stuff you might need to supply to get a credit score.  But the link is bogus.  The information will go directly to them, not a legitimate credit scoring agency.  And then they have all the info they need to steal you blind.

ETA - If you just make up a number and send it to them, they just move on to another sucker.  The idea is to get you to give them personal info.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 11:28:35 PM EDT
[#10]
That's a new one.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 11:31:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Run Forest run!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 11:31:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know how much of the original you edited out, but it looks like they didn't include any real-world information such as physical address, company name or telephone number.  Next time, don't give out any of your information until you have real-world information about them that you used to verify the legitimacy of the solicitation.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 11:31:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The link they included will go to some site that will ask you for your SSN, bank account number, etc. - stuff you might need to supply to get a credit score.  But the link is bogus.  The information will go directly to them, not a legitimate credit scoring agency.  And then they have all the info they need to steal you blind.

ETA - If you just make up a number and send it to him, they just move on to another sucker.  The idea is to get you to give them personal info.

Oh ok. Thanks for explaining. So then the link which looks like freecreditreport.com is in fact not the real freecreditreport.com site and everything I enter will instead get sent to the scammer? Is this correct?
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 11:33:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA - If you just make up a number and send it to him, they just move on to another sucker.  The idea is to get you to give them personal info.

Oh ok. Thanks for explaining. So then the link which looks like freecreditreport.com is in fact not the real freecreditreport.com site and everything I enter will instead get sent to the scammer? Is this correct?

That would be my guess, but I'm not clicking the link to find out.  If in fact it is the real freecreditreport.com site, then the scammers will probably ask you to send them the entire report and then they will take your information off the report.  Either way, it's the same effect - they get confidential information from you that they can use to their advantage and your harm.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 11:36:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I don't know how much of the original you edited out, but it looks like they didn't include any real-world information such as physical address, company name or telephone number.  Next time, don't give out any of your information until you have real-world information about them that you used to verify the legitimacy of the solicitation.

Thank you I will defiently use this as a rule of thumb from now on.
Dang I really need a job and my roomate just got a job at a local real estate office where she answers the phone, does minor paperwork, and runs errands.
So I though it was legit at first. Fuck.
What a douche bag. I hope he rots in hell.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 11:38:26 PM EDT
[#16]
OK so just to make things clear and I can go to sleep.

I'm ok if in my resume I listed my name, phone, email, & address?
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 11:40:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Dang I really need a job and my roomate just got a job at a local real estate office where she answers the phone, does minor paperwork, and runs errands.

You're welcome.  And see if your roommate can connect you with a job where she works or refer you.  Personal contacts are one of the best ways to find job openings.

P.S.  No real harm should come from the information you gave out on your resume.  The information in a resume isn't confidential.  Perhaps you will get some more spam since you gave them your email, but that should be the worst of it, and I doubt even that will happen.  So don't worry about that.  Just be careful when giving out personal information to anyone you don't know.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 11:41:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
OK so just to make things clear and I can go to sleep.

I'm ok if in my resume I listed my name, phone, email, & address?

That should be fine (see above post).  Don't worry about that, and have a good night's sleep!
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 11:43:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're welcome.  And see if your roommate can connect you with a job where she works or refer you.  Personal contacts are one of the best ways to find job openings.

P.S.  No real harm should come from the information you gave out on your resume.  The information in a resume isn't confidential.  Perhaps you will get some more spam since you gave them your email, but that should be the worst of it, and I doubt even that will happen.  So don't worry about that.  Just be careful when giving out personal information to anyone you don't know.

Thanks man I really appreciate it. Good night everyone I'm going to sleep.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top