Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2001 8:45:52 PM EDT
It was on A&E tonight. I don't know a lot about WW1 but it seemed like an accurate movie. They had 1917 Enfields, 1911's and those junk French machine guns(the ones that i don't know how to spell the name of). i was just wondering if anyone watched it. i heard about it on the radio.
-bricklayer
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 9:48:43 PM EDT
[#1]
12:38am monday , i'm watching it right now very sad...[peep]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 10:19:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw it tonight.
Good show and some realistic gun play too.  
Worth seeing.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:34:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I enjoyed it.  I wish the editing had been better, or that they had another hour to get more depth. It's on DVD already, so I'm going to pick it up and see if they left some of it out. There were a few scenes that I caught, where the guns were empty.  One was where they did an overhead closeup of a guy charging his 1911, and it was empty, and when they shot that sniper, he cycled his '17 and didn't eject anything.
I think it's spelled Chauchaut, but I think POS was a better description.
I think that was a colt machine gun that they had on the tripod.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Good movie.  A great example of an APR war movie (After Private Ryan).  Just a few commentss-

-The Major was refered to by his commanders as the 'new york lawyer'.  Hello?  As if a lawyer could just sign up and instantly be made a Major and leader of an infantry batallion?  He would have to start a 2nd lt (assuming he passed OCS and that they accepted him) and work his way up.  It would take years, and theres no way he would have seniority over his captain who was in the army with Teddy Roosevelt at San Juan Hill.  Also the Texan Lt seemed a little too slow to be an officer.  

-The NewYork characters were a little annoying at times.  Mostly the cliche early 1900's jargon and the ethinic fixations.  If these guys weren't irish, polish, jewish, etc they would have nothing else to talk about.  

-I liked the comment about 'We're Americans.  We should have American weapons.'  At that time there were no BARs and not enough Springfields.  The flamethrowers were interesting.  Didn't know they had those back then.  

Anyway, good movie.  Heres a link to a review of the book.

[url]http://www.williams.edu/admin-depts/alumni/relations/alum_rev/winter99/lostbat.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree that the stereotypes were a bit overused, however that type of ethnic predjudice was very prevalant at the turn of the century. Especially between Irish and Italians.  

The Major was in fact a major, and a Lawyer from NY.  Back in those days, political influence and money could still buy rank.  This was one of the major command problems with that war.  The charaters were real people, unlike Ryan, where they were generalizations.  Read the book.  I believe the man who stated that he was at San Juan Hill, was a career NCO.  The captain that showed up halfway through the movie was with Pershing, chasing Villa.

There's a book called "The last days of Innocence: America's entry into WWI", (I think.  I'm not at home right now, so I can't quote the title exactly, I have an entire book case dedicated to the great war) that talks extensively of the social culture in america prior to, during, and after the war.

Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:05:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I believe the man who stated that he was at San Juan Hill, was a career NCO. The captain that showed up halfway through the movie was with Pershing, chasing Villa.
View Quote

Dang thats right.  I got the Sergeant and Captain mixed up.  

I agree that the stereotypes were a bit overused, however that type of ethnic predjudice was very prevalant at the turn of the century.
View Quote

Agreed.  Hell, there was still plenty of it left over when I was in high school in the early 1990's!  
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Poop!, I missed it. Is it going to be on again?
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:37:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Tonight 9-11pm
Weds 1AM-3AM
Saturday 2-4pm
Sunday 6-8pm

Go to A&E.com for more info.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's on DVD already,
View Quote

Hey guys, I don't have cable so is the movie good enough to buy sight unseen.

I caught the trailer last week at dad's (no VCR & 500 miles away) and it looked good. But I would sure hate to waste my $$$$.

I worked with an older lady several years ago who grew up in Camden, NJ before WWll. And according to her father the biggest sin a girl could commit after being pregnant out of wedlock was to be seen with a Mick or Wop, especially the Italian. She wasn't so set in her ways, but here father really was. I really enjoyed working with her.

Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:05:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Not bad...I especially liked the P17 rifles they were using mixed with the 03's.  The Major was a weenie kinda guy though.  I wanted someone more like John Wayne's character Sgt. Striker.  Entertaining movie at any rate.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks Paco.

I'll have to look for it and add it to my Christmas list. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I especially liked the P17 rifles they were using mixed with the 03's.
View Quote

I saw a couple #1mk3's leaning against a tree in one of the scenes towards the end of the movie. I was wondering where they come from??? where there British involved in the last part?  In one other scene they showed the  major loading his 1911 but you could see that there was no mag in it and no cartridge went into the chamber. Oh well, I still liked the movie.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 12:56:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm buyin it. Of course I'm facinated by WWI anyway.
Some of our Doughboys were issued SMLE's. I personally am a big fan of them, they are to bolt guns what AK's and 1911's are to autoloaders.
I have a collection of rifles from WWI, from Britain, Russia, US, Austria, Germany, and Turkey. The SMLE is my favorite, followed by The German Gewehr 98.
Airborne
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top