Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2001 7:28:55 PM EDT
Have anyone of you tested it for bullet proofness? I know its to protect from fragments/flak but I have read it is rated at level 2.Just wondering if it will stop bullets also.the ones i am refering to are the military/camo ones found at surplus stores and guns shows.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought one years ago at a flea market.It was
good for paintball but it would'nt stop a BB
let alone a direct round or richocet.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#2]
 If you want it for ballistic protection, get a new one.  A good PASGT vest will stop 9mm, .45 pistol, buckshot, and slugs.  Rifle rounds will zip right thru it.  Most battle field casaulties are from ricochets and fragments, and the vest is designed to stop such projectiles.  It rates about a level II plus.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Start with Level III-A protection, that is protection at .44Magnum at about 25 feet and further. Then add the Rifle sheilds made of ceramic, that will give level IV protection which will stop 5.56mmx41 and 7.62x39 plus 30-06 Armor Piercing.  The ultimate in SHTF protection.  All together look at spending $1500.00 or more.

Ben
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Not that my Guard unit is full of delinquents but,,,,,,, We took a current issue flak vest and helmet to the range and shot them.  They are examples for display now.  The Kevlar helmet stopped 9mm and 45 acp from 25 feet at most angles.  .223/5.56mm blew right thru, .308/7.62 same thing.  The flak vest stopped nothing from a rifle.  Pistol rounds  made it thru straight on, but angles slowed them considerably and most angle shots did not penatrate.  They do work, better than ballcaps and uniform blouses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top