Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2001 5:51:31 PM EDT
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20011128/imdf28112001063647a.jpg[/img]
Muslim guerillas shout "Allahu Akbar" (God is Greatest) as they leave Zamboanga city November 28, 2001 after freeing more than 100 Filipino hostages . The rebels left Zamboanga to return to their camps under an agreement that granting them safe passage in exchange for the safe release of the hostages. REUTERS/Erik de Castro
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#1]
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20011128/capt.1006947374philippines_fighting_xpr103.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#2]
When's the last time you saw a BAR in action?
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20011128/capt.1006946238philippines_fighting_zam126.jpg[/img]
A Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) member (front) uses a cellular phone to send text messages as they prepare to board a truck that would take them away from Zamboanga city in southern Philippines after a standoff Wednesday Nov. 28, 2001. The MNLF, loyal to former leader Nur Misuari, released their remaining 89 hostages in exchange for a safe passage through military forces that have beseiged them for more than 24 hours. (AP Photo/Bullit Marquez)
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#3]
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20011128/capt.1006944847philippines_fighting_zam120.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#4]
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20011128/capt.1006937416philippines_fighting_zam109.jpg[/img]
Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) members loyal to arrested leader Nur Misuari leave their leader's sprawling office to join their comrades who are holding hostage several residents Wednesday Nov. 28, 2001, in Zamboanga city in southern Philippines.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Logistics for maintaining their vast array of weapons must be a real headache.  And then there's all the different caliber bullets to supply.
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20011128/capt.1006933571philippines_fighting_zam107.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Thumbhole:

You've had some GREAT photo threads here recently!

Where are you finding these things?  (Before I go try poking around in the url's....)

EDIT:  Ack!!  I can't go poking around for the url's.  How do I get to "edit" to see the code of someone else's post?  Wasn't this always an option here?  Didn't mean to poop on your parade, just really curious where you've been finding this pics, particularly on the "company men with beards" thread.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Corey, thanks for the feedback.  I get these from the newswires.  They are available for any publication to use but the vast majority will never get published.  I figure at least the guys here might appreciate some of these.  There are literally hundreds of photos floating around AP, Reuters, BBCnews, etc every day.  You can find them on Excite News and Yahoo News sometimes, or on the AP wires.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#8]
M16's, AK's, BAR's, Garands.

I wanna' go to the Phillipines.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I see FAL's, AK's M1 Garands, an M14, M16's and a BM59.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Of some members here, I 'have the right to rant on them'.  Why..... easy...... I have family in the Philippines.  North, way north.  Not south where the crazies and a-holes are.  Southern area has always been full of trouble makers.

I still think the dumbest thing they (since I was born here) did was ask/demand for independence.  They should have stayed a territory like Purto Rico (if I recall my facts) or asked for state hood.  I could just see China's face now if the Philippines was a US state or territory w/ the military bases still..... oh well.

I imagine that there are FAL's, G3's, M14's (.308), AK47, SKS (7.62x39), M16's, old M1 Carbines, M1 Garands, Bars  Maybe a few 303's in there.  Most of the US stuff is WWII left over.  I'd figure there are still weopons/ammo dumps in the Philippines that we hid.

Hopefully no MNFL monitor this forum.  Some might get offended at my comments and well, some are very vendictive(sp).  I don't want to find any surprises when I get home from work or hear family hurt.  W/ technology thease days.... info is available on the net.  (Being paranoid...maybe.  Why post.....this is a free country.  Enough said.)

Kaliburz
(Pinoy) if you know what it means, you're Filipino or know someon who's used the term.

Link Posted: 11/28/2001 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 8:00:12 PM EDT
[#12]
My family is from Zamboanga, and I have a brother in school in Cebu. [:(]

needless to say, I'm worried.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The MNLF, loyal to former leader Nur Misuari, released their remaining 89 hostages in exchange for a safe passage through military forces that have beseiged them for more than 24 hours. (AP Photo/Bullit Marquez)
View Quote

ONLY 24 HOURS?!  Man, what a bunch of pansies!

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 6:19:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Once again the Philippine government caves in "cause someone might get killed" Gloria Arroyo needs to GO NOW.

Remeber they are holding two Americans and have murdered a third.  And they owe their existance through their struggling early years thanks to OBL and Al Qaida's training, money, and business acumen.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 6:22:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I trained with the Philipino Marines in Mindanao (sp?).
The were hard little men.
They lubricated their beat-up, rusty M60s with cooking oil.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#16]
In any country, public opinion plays a factor.  Politics is polatics; here, there or any where.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thumbhole:

You've had some GREAT photo threads here recently!

Where are you finding these things?  (Before I go try poking around in the url's....)

EDIT:  Ack!!  I can't go poking around for the url's.  How do I get to "edit" to see the code of someone else's post?  Wasn't this always an option here?  Didn't mean to poop on your parade, just really curious where you've been finding this pics, particularly on the "company men with beards" thread.
View Quote

Put your cursor on the picture.  Right click.  Select "properties".  You will get the URL.  Cut and paste into your browser.  change some numbers-letters near the end to view others in a series.  cut the end off and you usually get to a page.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Where the eff is a guy like Ramos when you need him?

View Quote

Ken,

You may change your mind about this guy if you know who he really is.

Fidel Ramos together with Juan Ponce Enrile,  the Defense Minister at that time was the architect and the one who implemented martial law under Ferdinand Marcos. They kept Marcos in power long after his term was up since with him as president, they were "well fed". During this time, all those who dare speak up against the goverment were thrown in jail and some were exiled. I clearly remember one of the most feared acronym then, A.S.S.O. or Arrest Search & Seizure Order. This is a piece of paper that a local garrison commander upon order from the higher-ups, can issue for any individual without due cause or at the least...probable cause. With this paper in hand, basic individual rights does not exist. The analogy goes like this,...... you are suspected as a communist, gets treated like a communist, and proclaimed to the media as a communist so you must therefore be a communist.

While the country was being portrayed as the Pearl of the Orient Seas in the international scene, 90% of the country's wealth is in the hands of 10% of the population. Poverty and malnutrition was everywhere. Marcos and his buddies including Fidel Ramos was in the "mining" industry. Whenever they fancy something, all they have to do is say, [red]"that is mine, or this is mine".[/red]

This was one of the cause why the communists was readily accepted by those in rural areas where the population does not have the luxury of news media. Why the NPA and the MNLF were able to get people to listen to them. The people in their desperation thought that they were the answer to their prayers. With their rhetoric of common wealth, equality, swift justice and twisted muslim ideology, both the NPA and the MNLF were able to establish it's roots in the south during this time.

During the first "People Power" revolution, Fidel Ramos sensing that Marcos could not hold on to power, allied himself with Corazon Aquino which is kinda ironical since a lot of those in the know suspect that Ramos know something or worse had a hand in the assasination of Senator Benigno Aquino, her husband. He methodically supported her through her years in office as our first woman president because he knows that it will just be a matter of time before he will be president with Cory's endorsement.

When he became president, most of those government programs and reforms were never implemented. He was smart and cautious enough to make his cronies happy so they will support him even if he really did not do anything much. I could cite numerous cases attesting to this but as much as my memory is still in it's prime, my typing skills are quite crude.

No wonder he was beaten by Joseph Estrada in the election. Think about it, a decorated, intelligent, popular general who went to West Point, and is the incumbent president was beaten by an uneducated, womanizing drunk who just happened to be a movie actor. In fairness to Estrada, he did have experience as a mayor and as a senator but he never was any good at being one either.

To me, Fidel Ramos was never a president. He was someone who wanted to line his pocket with gold without any regard for the hardship of his countrymen.

Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Take a good look at them, we will probably be fighting them very soon.  This cant go on for much longer.

I am thinking a nice task force of US Marines from Oki, 25th Div from Hawaii, Royal Austrailian Regiment, and the ROK Marines[:)]

Nothing like renewing old acquaitances after 30 years[;)]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:57:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 4:02:06 PM EDT
[#22]
If you look closely, youll see Ray (Waverunner) in a coupla those pics....

Now we know why you have been buying enough guns to supply a small army.....hehehe, sorry Ray, I couldnt help myself!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Take a good look at them...
View Quote

I am :) Elite looking crack troops, aren't they! Spray and pray all the way for those fellows, hehe.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I trained with the Philipino Marines in Mindanao (sp?).
The were hard little men.
They lubricated their beat-up, rusty M60s with cooking oil.
View Quote

Masochism is not a substitute for marksmanship.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I like the bright purple shirt and neon green bandana that the 'pointman' is wearing.  Thats great camoflage.......if you're in LA....

Oh yeah, I just noticed...he's dialing his cellphone......hahahaha, I wonder if its a free cell phone from At&t??   Ray, is that you calling him?  Did you turn in that free phone yet?
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 4:32:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Itlog???  that went over my head....

Dude, balls are one thing, its cool to have balls when youre playing paintball with your friends.......paint washes off your clothes, dead is permanent.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you look closely, youll see Ray (Waverunner) in a coupla those pics....

SSSSSSSSHhhhhhhh!!!! Can't you keep a secret Hunduh? I just do that on the weekends!

Now we know why you have been buying enough guns to supply a small army.....hehehe, sorry Ray, I couldnt help myself!!

Who's kidding?!?!
View Quote

WTF!!!! THOSE NUTTY FILIPINO'S, I should lock this goddamn thread...oh Muslims. Whoops, I'm Catholic. Oh OK this won't get locked!
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
When's the last time you saw a BAR in action?
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20011128/capt.1006946238philippines_fighting_zam126.jpg[/img]
A Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) member (front) uses a cellular phone to send text messages as they prepare to board a truck that would take them away from Zamboanga city in southern Philippines after a standoff Wednesday Nov. 28, 2001. The MNLF, loyal to former leader Nur Misuari, released their remaining 89 hostages in exchange for a safe passage through military forces that have beseiged them for more than 24 hours. (AP Photo/Bullit Marquez)
View Quote

OK That is [b]NOT[/b] me in the front with the cellphone Steve...
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#30]
oops, I guess you caught me....hehehehe
Shouldnt you be on your way to work?  Let me know what time you leave so I can start talking about you again.....

BTW, I copied those negatives you lent me..  They are sitting on my kitchen table, next time I see you Ill give them back, let me know if you need them sooner and Ill mail them to you, ok?  Thanks Dude
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
quote]

[b]OUCH!!![/b] [i]itlog[/i] the literal translation means egg...
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 5:28:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I still dont get it.... Oooohhhhhhh! Now I see, those eggs!!!   God I am quick.  Eggs = Ball= Itlog.....
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#33]
A handful of Muslims got stranded and were abandoned by their comrads. This is what the citizens of Zamboanga did to them: [url]http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/abs/inews-nov2001.nsf/national/20011130117[/url]

ouch, bolos are nasty.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I am :) Elite looking crack troops, aren't they! Spray and pray all the way for those fellows, hehe.
View Quote

Having had a close encounter of the worst kind with these folks in 1987, I can assure you that spray and pray is a prefered marksmanship technique of the MILF.  At least it was with the five "Gents" we partied with.  Hehe is not what I was thinking at the time though.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
quote]

[b]OUCH!!![/b] [i]itlog[/i] the literal translation means egg...
View Quote

That's right.  It means egg.  Itlog (not sure if that's how it's spelled).  That is a regional dialect(sp).  The national dialect is Tagalog (spelling???).  Itlog from what I know, is a word from Ilicano(sp).  I'd have to ask mom...

kpel308,

This influx of Filipino words, you Filipino or married to, (etc).  Just wondering?

Kaliburz
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#36]
My wife is from Cebu and she refers to Da Boyz as "itlog".  Heck, I just might be in for a little gilinggiling tonight!

Link Posted: 11/29/2001 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#37]
me?, no Im not Filipino, someone else used the word.  I was just wondering what it meant.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 6:40:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Ken,

I understand and can see why you think like this. Ramos has always been portrayed and known as a decisive general. And he was that!!!! A very calculating and cunning military man. My uncle graduated from PMA (Phil. Military Academy) together with Gen. Renato Devilla, (the Chief of Staff when Cory was the president). He once took me to an informal military ball where I met Ramos long before he became president. I too was impressed by his stature and wit.

But when you hang around thieves you will sooner or later become one yourself. And this is what happened to him. Under the Marcoses (who were probably the biggest thieves of this generation) he changed. He compromised his integrity and ideals and became more of a politician than a general. It got worse when he became the president.

I agree that he deserves a little bit more respect than Marcos or Estrada but I do not agree that he was a kickass kinda president. If your argument lies on the fact that today if Ramos would have been president, he would have.........the communist rebels/insurgents, then the MNLF and the NPA would have already been disbanded WHEN he was one.

But I will not totally blame our government's inefficiency for why the NPA and the MNLF are still dominant where they are. If you will read some of my previous post about muslims, I categorically stated that you could not trust them. They will say one thing and then do the complete opposite behind your back. A compromise could never be reached if  one of the concerned parties will not adhere to its provisions. [blue](Let me reiterate again that stereotyping is wrong, but I have not known a muslim who have gained my trust yet)[/blue]

One prime example of this is the ongoing feud between the PLO and Israel. Even if Israel will want to negotiate, the PLO under the leadership of Yasser Arafat will never abide to whatever deal that will be agreed upon. Which is why even under so many Prime Ministers through the years, Israel was never able to come into an understanding with the PLO.  Arafat is a liar, a thief and much more a murderer who one day will get what is coming to him. He claims that his organization wants peace but on the side Hamas which he claims to be totally independent from the PLO does its killing. Yeah Right!!!!!

The muslims will always try to take advantage of any situation but should the tide turn on them, they are the loudest cry babies. History has and will prove this to be true.

I am sorry if I feel this way about muslims but I could not help it because of my past experiences. I hope and pray that one day someone can change my opinions but until then, I will watch my six when I deal with a muslim.

Link Posted: 11/30/2001 8:57:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Some 'old folks' think that Marcos was a great president, even though he stole.  (Like Nixon, well, maybe that's a bad example.) But most of them are from his generation....they saw WWII (was hiding from or fighting Japs), what it was like before and what he did to improve the Philipines.  Granted, most of them here came at and early age and grew up here or as I mentioned was in the war.

So, anyone else want to mention that they're Filipino, married to or are friends with? (Sort of an unofficial poll...)

Oh, I check w/ mom on 'Itlog'.  Yes, it means egg, but it's a common word, not just a regional dialect(sp).  She also added that some of the old folks use it to reference to ....'balls'.

Link Posted: 11/30/2001 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So, anyone else want to mention that they're Filipino, married to or are friends with? (Sort of an unofficial poll...)
View Quote

OK, I'll bite...I was born in San Fernando, La Union, PI

I came to the USA when I was 4 months old so I'm pretty much "Americanized", I understand ALL Illocano AND Tagalog slung in my direction (Probably because my parents were always cursing at me!) but I can't speak a lick of it.
Oh yeah...the food is good too.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top