Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2008 6:31:42 AM EDT
My folks are about to pull the trigger on an HDTV in time for the Olympics.

My question is:

Regular programming doesn't get the HD enhancement unless it says it's in HD or is on an HD only channel right?
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:32:38 AM EDT
[#1]
HD Broadcasts are on a separate channel.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:33:49 AM EDT
[#2]
If they currently have cable or satellite and their boxes are not HD boxes, they'll need to upgrade all their equipment most likely.  They could always get an over-the-air antenna and get broadcast HD channels independent of their TV provider.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:34:44 AM EDT
[#3]
They did upgrade to HD.  So much for getting Top Gear in HD.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:38:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They did upgrade to HD.  So much for getting Top Gear in HD.

Yes, the HD converter box allows you to receive HD channels, but theres not that many of them yet. Local networks broadcast in HD, so a good antenna covers that... Not sure if your folks have cable or satellite, with cable they should get the locals in the HD channel package.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:39:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
HD Broadcasts are on a separate channel.

and the major networks broadcasts can be obtained OTA (over the air) like regular channels.

Of course who does that.  But that it work that way is a .gov requirement.

Everything else, such as cool channels like Sci-Fi , require a box (or in-TV card)
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:41:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Comcast.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:44:56 AM EDT
[#7]
It's very likely one of the HD channels your cable company carries will have the Olys in HD.

Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:45:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Comcast.

Yeah, so look at their "Digital tier package" for the HD pack, thats what "enhanced" channels they get.

On the bright side, an upconverting DVD player will make their DVDs look real nice
They can get into Blu-Ray at some point, but in the meantime, upconversion and widescreen standard DVDs works great.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 7:01:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Comcast.

Can't speak for Comcast, but on our stuff we have a HD tier, with our most popular non-OTA channels, as well as local channels.

Thing they'll need to realize, all broadcasts on an HD channel are not in fact HD.  

Many commercials, Judge Judy, most soaps, the nightly local news, none of these are recorded/broadcast in HD, so they'll view it in a 4:3 format with black bars on the sides.

CSI, American Idol, primetime whatever usually has a little "broadcast in HD" symbol pop up, and you get a full 16:9 picture in HD.

Basically, if they're watching the NBC HD channel for the Olympics, the Olympics will most likely be in HD, but random commercials and other programming may not be.

Honestly I have no idea if they'll be recorded and broadcast in HD, but it seems likely.

Now tell them to boycott the Olympics b/c of the commie host nation and buy a non-Chinese TV if they can find one.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 7:06:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I believe 100% of the Olympic programming will be in HD

Interestingly, my parents bought our first VHS machine to record the 1980 Summer Olympics, which we (USA) boycotted
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 7:10:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They have a quasi-decent HD lineup in my area but no BBC America in HD.  Shit.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 7:24:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Quoted:
They have a quasi-decent HD lineup in my area but no BBC America in HD.  Shit.

I just did a quick search, it doesn't seem like BBC America will have an HD channel, until maybe fall. I didn't see an expected date posted anywhere.

Link Posted: 7/23/2008 7:30:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Interestingly, my parents bought our first VHS machine to record the 1980 Summer Olympics, which we (USA) boycotted

In 1980, they must have spent $600 on it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 7:31:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I did the upgrade about six months ago. The only problem I've found is HD makes everything else look like garbage and there isn't enough programming in HD.

-JTP
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 7:34:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it was expensive..and it had a wired remote control

I remember that annual "memberships" at movie rental places were hundreds of dollars too.

The first movies we rented were Holy Grail and Breaking Away
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 8:01:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm 22 miles from the broadcast station and get fabulous HDTV from a $30 over the air antenna.  The major networks do a great job here in Las Vegas.  Screw cable/satelite companies and their taxation systems.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 8:09:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it was expensive..and it had a wired remote control

I remember that annual "memberships" at movie rental places were hundreds of dollars too.

The first movies we rented were Holy Grail and Breaking Away

I remember our first VCR had a wired remote as well.

Also, VHS movies were over $100 a piece to buy when they first came out, IIRC.

Breaking Away
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'm 22 miles from the broadcast station and get fabulous HDTV from a $30 over the air antenna.  The major networks do a great job here in Las Vegas.  Screw cable/satelite companies and their taxation systems.

IIRC, DirecTV wants around 10 extra bucks a month for HD service - plus another 10 bucks a month for local channels - just so you can receive many of the same HD programs that the local broadcasters are offering for free. That's 240 bucks a year I'd rather spend on something else!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top