Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 9:55:25 PM EDT

Obama visit fails to woo war-weary Iraqis

Agence France Presse / Baghdad July 21, 2008, 17:32 IST

War-weary Iraqis voiced scepticism on today at visiting US Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's pledge to withdraw US troops from the violence-wracked nation if he wins the White House.    

Several Iraqi civilians quizzed by AFP said they were doubtful whether Obama could make a difference despite the senator vowing to pull out the bulk of US troops from Iraq by mid-2010 if he takes office next year.      

"This proclamation is a mere political stunt," said Abu Ali, 43, a resident of Baghdad's Sadr City, a stronghold of anti-American Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr.    

"The American policy would not change with the change in the president, especially the military policy, which is planned by far-sighted commanders," the cigarette seller said.    

Sadr and his followers from Iraqi Shiite areas, including Sadr City, have strongly opposed the presence of American troops since the toppling of Saddam Hussein's regime in April 2003.      

Today, Obama arrived in Iraq as part of a Congressional delegation for a fact-finding tour to assess the latest on the ground situation in the country.      

He has pledged to declare an end to the Iraq war from the first day of his presidency if he wins in November, and to withdraw most US combat troops within 16 months of entering the White House.      

Obama, who voted against the March 2003 war to topple Saddam, visited Iraq in 2006 and is returning at a time when violence has fallen to a four-year low— partly on the back of a US troop "surge" which he had strongly opposed.    

Nameer Ali, 30, a trader from the Shiite holy city of Najaf, said Obama would be a successful president for the United States but was unlikely to make significant changes in Iraq.

Coverage of this from the American press corp.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#1]
PWNED!  now wheres all the funny pictures of him
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:21:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:26:58 PM EDT
[#4]
All we need now is a picture of him in a tank a la Dukakis.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:37:45 PM EDT
[#5]
blah..   his tour is to impress the leaders  not the troops. .

i think he was successful in his mission.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:39:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Who cares

Next.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#7]
He visiting family?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:39:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Obama, who voted against the March 2003 war to topple Saddam, visited Iraq in 2006 and is returning at a time when violence has fallen to a four-year low— partly on the back of a US troop "surge" which he had strongly opposed.    

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't he have only been authorized to vote on such an issue in the U.S. Senate, which he wasn't elected to until 2004? I wouldn't be surprised if this is just some inconvenient truth that his sheeple conveniently forget.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Some Haji can figure out something 40% of Americans can't.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Iraqis can't vote.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't he have only been authorized to vote on such an issue in the U.S. Senate, which he wasn't elected to until 2004? I wouldn't be surprised if this is just some inconvenient truth that his sheeple conveniently forget.

Maybe he participated in a poll on NAMBLA.com?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:43:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

oh they can,,   they just dont wanna see it..

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:47:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't believe obama was a Senator when the Iraq war vote was taken. Another one of those critical issues that he has never had to stake out a position on. The guy simply put lacks the experience to be President. But all those college educated white folks are all over him.

We always hear how the college educated are so much smarter than everyone else yet their so stupid they are going to vote for a presidential candidate that lacks all critical experience.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

From his site.

About Barack Obama
United States Senator for Illinois

Barack Obama has dedicated his life to public service as a community organizer, civil rights attorney, and leader in the Illinois state Senate. Obama now continues his fight for working families following his election to the United States Senate.

Sworn into office January 4, 2005, Senator Obama serves on the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, which oversees our nation’s health care, schools, employment, and retirement programs. He is a member of the Foreign Relations Committee, which plays a vital role in shaping American policy around the world, including our policy in Iraq. And Senator Obama serves on the Veterans’ Affairs Committee, which is focused on providing our brave veterans with the care and services they deserve. In 2005 and 2006, he served on the Environment and Public Works Committee, which safeguards our environment and provides funding for our highways.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:47:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Dont think simple errors like time and space can stand in the way of the almighty black Jesus.

If Black jesus sayeth that he voted against the war, then yea, it has been spoketh, black Jesus hath voted against the war.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:18:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Now wait a minute. Who's going to value his opinion? I seriously doubt that that cigarette seller has a journalism degree from Columbia or political science from Harvard, and come to think of it, he's probably on the payroll of big tobacco.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:35:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I've just been reading Obama's bio.

He's only ever worked in academia and in politics? He's never actually had any kind of real job?

There's nothing like being a well-rounded individual, is there?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:50:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

He's only ever worked in academia and in politics?

In other words, he is no earthly good.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:50:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

He's only ever worked in academia and in politics? He's never actually had any kind of real job?

Yep, he never did anything of substance, edited the Harvard Law Review, but never wrote anything that legal scholars quote. He wrote two books about his favorite subject, himself. No executive or military experience. Never rode in an ambulance, or on a firetruck. Empty suit.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:52:26 AM EDT
[#20]
 <------- My surprised face.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:55:38 AM EDT
[#21]
So Iwackis don't wan't "Hope and Change " ?
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 1:19:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, he never did anything of substance, edited the Harvard Law Review, but never wrote anything that legal scholars quote. He wrote two books about his favorite subject, himself. No executive or military experience. Never rode in an ambulance, or on a firetruck. Empty suit.

So, he's never written a bill that's been passed, never had a leadership position and never had a job where's he's had to deal with serious decision making or high-stress situations.

Surely every CEO in the country is better qualified to be POTUS?
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 1:52:13 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, he's never written a bill that's been passed, never had a leadership position and never had a job where's he's had to deal with serious decision making or high-stress situations.

Surely every CEO 3rd Grader who ever ran a lemonade stand in this country is better qualified to be POTUS?
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 2:08:52 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
blah..   his tour is to impress the leaders  not the troops. .

i think he was successful in his mission.

And all of the Obama fans back home. Counter the McCain 'lack of experience' play.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 2:08:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's only ever worked in academia and in politics?

In other words, he is no earthly good.

In other words.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 2:47:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Why would the visit of anybody stop the fighting in the Middle East.  I think that Jericho is the oldest continuously inhabited city on earth.  When archaeologists dug down through 10,000 years of history they found that the first city had been burned to the ground.  They fight over there because they want to fight.  Religion is only they latest "cause" they want to fight over.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top