Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 4:20:20 PM EDT
Long story short:  

Father-in-law has been meeting with an executive recruiter that has been helping him polish up the ol'resume and talk about what opportunities are available to someone with his project/management experience.

Sounds like the guy is a real smooth talker, except for this last meeting he dropped a bombshell.  To continue working with him and have availability to his contacts/job opportunities will cost $4,000.

The fact that he's never mentioned it before has every alarm bell in my head going off, but the guy is working all sorts of angles with my father-in-law.  Anyone have some info or personal stories about this scam (at least to me)

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#1]
You should never ever pay a headhunter, the companies are the ones who pay.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#2]
If they were legit they would outline the cost up front and operate like a lawyers office.  Free consultation, then bill for services.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#4]
As already posted, company pays.

I got two good jobs through recruiters.
And, two bad ones, but I didn't have to agree.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I know a girl I went to school with years ago.  She is a nice lady, but honestly, I do not see her as incredibly employable.  She has no "real" skills, always just treading water.  What was her most recent job, from which she has been laid off?  Yup, Executive Recruiter.  Read between the lines.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If they were legit they would outline the cost up front and operate like a lawyers office.  Free consultation, then bill for services.

that's the part that has me going  The dishonesty or lack of full disclosure would have me walking out the door immediately.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

T H I S ^^^^^^
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Is it "the ladders". I heard they charge. They advertise on TV, etc for executive recruitment.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Correct. If they want him to pay $4k it is a scam.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1

Insert EJECT picture here.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Long story short:  

Father-in-law has been meeting with an executive recruiter that has been helping him polish up the ol'resume and talk about what opportunities are available to someone with his project/management experience.

Sounds like the guy is a real smooth talker, except for this last meeting he dropped a bombshell.  To continue working with him and have availability to his contacts/job opportunities will cost $4,000.

The fact that he's never mentioned it before has every alarm bell in my head going off, but the guy is working all sorts of angles with my father-in-law.  Anyone have some info or personal stories about this scam (at least to me)

Walk away.

Legit recruiters get their fees from the employerss, not the candidates.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Thats bullshit. Usually its the company who pays the recruiter to find the employee.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Kick the guy in the nads and walk out.    No honest recruiter holds up the job seeker for any fees,  it's the company that pays him for good candidates.

CJ
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I have known a number of legit executive recruiters.  None of them ever charge candidates a fee.  Run like hell.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top