Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2008 11:22:24 AM EDT
Yesterday, a local teen was killed in an accident.  The rest of the "kids" with her are active at our community pool and elsewhere about town.  This tragedy has truly affected our entire community where I live, it's just heart-wrenching.  As a father, I cannot imagine the pain of losing a child.  My wife is right now working at the pool so others may go visit the hospital.  Our local Food World ran with only supervisors yesterday, every kid that worked there was grieving.  Love your folks, folks.

Link to article

ETA: One of the injured teens, my son considers his "girlfriend" at the pool, and flirts with her constantly.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:25:30 AM EDT
[#2]
The driver has got to be going through hell right now.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:54:38 AM EDT
[#3]
That's too bad. I really feel bad for the dead childs family and those of the injured kids. Still, I wouldn't personally rush in grief counselors or make it a huge event for my own kid like the schools do now-a-days. I agree with you. Live well and take nothing for granted. Stopping life because someone else has is bad policy though. Not everyone at the pool/market liked the person in question so you must entertain the probablility that some folks are just taking advantage of this to kick back. Don't enable that. That's harsh, but almost certain to be true.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
That's too bad. I really feel bad for the dead childs family and those of the injured kids. Still, I wouldn't personally rush in grief counselors or make it a huge event for my own kid like the schools do now-a-days. I agree with you. Live well and take nothing for granted. Stopping life because someone else has is bad policy though. Not everyone at the pool/market liked the person in question so you must entertain the probablility that some folks are just taking advantage of this to kick back. Don't enable that. That's harsh, but almost certain to be true.

You grow up in a big town or a small one?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:05:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You grow up in a big town or a small one?

Hertford NC. Quite small. Several kids/yound adults died or were seriously inured in accidents when I was in school. Most were auto related. It's always disturbing and a wakeup call, but I honestly don't remember folks beyond the family involved going through a big change over it. The living just kept on living.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:13:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Man, what do you say about something like that?  So many people I grew up with that aren't around anymore always makes me wonder when my time is coming...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:42:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
just heard today the girl from gardendale that was killed in the wreck yesterday was due to the driver trying to doage a peice of tire on the interstate.

it's WAY past time to get those damn retreads off the trucks. sure any tire can blow. but in alabama i don't think you can drive 3 miles with seeing atleast one large chuck of rubber in the road.

That's true, on both accounts.  To me, retreads should NOT be allowed, and *knowingly* abandoning a "road alligator" should be a MAJOR infraction.

I wonder, honestly, in a truck of that size, can this even be "felt" by the driver?  Any truck drivers comment?  Can you feel the tire shred off, under full load?  DustyC?  Anyone?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:30:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
just heard today the girl from gardendale that was killed in the wreck yesterday was due to the driver trying to doage a peice of tire on the interstate.

it's WAY past time to get those damn retreads off the trucks. sure any tire can blow. but in alabama i don't think you can drive 3 miles with seeing atleast one large chuck of rubber in the road.

That's true, on both accounts.  To me, retreads should NOT be allowed, and *knowingly* abandoning a "road alligator" should be a MAJOR infraction.

I wonder, honestly, in a truck of that size, can this even be "felt" by the driver?  Any truck drivers comment?  Can you feel the tire shred off, under full load?  DustyC?  Anyone?

That sucks! My wife has had a retread hit her windshield after it flew off of a passing semi. It dented the roof and tore the front turn signal off her Jeep as it passed. If she had been in a convertible or motorcycle, she'd have been totaled.Retreads are dangerous. It's a shame that it had to cost this kids life
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#12]
If you read the comments on the news article, someone said "How horrible for the father to have been in the leading car and see such an accident."  If it's true, that the girl's father saw it happen, that's even more terrible... I can't imagine that kind of heart break.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:58:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:05:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you read the comments on the news article, someone said "How horrible for the father to have been in the leading car and see such an accident."  If it's true, that the girl's father saw it happen, that's even more terrible... I can't imagine that kind of heart break.

yes it's true. father swerved to avoid retread in road, car behind them with daughter did the same and lost cotrol and rolled in the dirch. she was ejected through the windshield. From the people i spoke with that knew the family they saw the whole thing.

No Seatbelt?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:07:13 AM EDT
[#15]
That's awful
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:19:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:43:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes it's true. father swerved to avoid retread in road, car behind them with daughter did the same and lost cotrol and rolled in the dirch. she was ejected through the windshield. From the people i spoke with that knew the family they saw the whole thing.

No Seatbelt?

not sure but that would be my guess.

the report i heard on the radio from the first unit on the scene reported only light injuries and on 1 ambulance needed. about 10-15min later i heard a call for a second unit asap. i am guessing they didn't find her right away.

That's unfortunate. I'll refrain from turning this into a "Seatbelts Save Lives" thread, but at least in this case, the facts seem to support the theory.

My condolences to the family...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:47:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Prayers to the family.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:50:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:53:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No you can't feel it if it is on the trailer. Sometimes you see it, sometimes you don't.

Also....hit the damned thing, don't swerve around it.

It's a shame the kid died.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:57:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Sad. My heart goes out to the family.  

I lost two friends in separate car crashes when I was a teen and can recall at least 8 accidents here locally in recent years where a teenager or teenagers have been killed in an auto accidents.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:57:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:58:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:05:59 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No you can't feel it if it is on the trailer. Sometimes you see it, sometimes you don't.

Also....hit the damned thing, don't swerve around it.

It's a shame the kid died.

the problem with hitting them is they tend to jump and destroy the under side of the car best case or go airborne and hit the car behind you. i stopped at a wreck a few years ago where that happend, 20+ pound chunck of tire sitting in the windshield, girl driving lost control and hit the wall at 65 or so. fucked her and the car up pretty bad.

if this was a rare occurance fine, but i counted 7 tires on the way in to work this morning in a 12 mile stretch of interstate. thats not rare.

I'm not sure this is the proper thread for this.

Maybe someone will start a different one.

The_Camp_Ninja...sorry about your son's friend.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:58:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Sad, really sad
When I was in High School we averaged 4 Kids dying in a school year, that was 75-79, my Entire Football career we had black horizontal stripes on the back of our helmets to signify these deaths, back then we knew it sucked and went on with everyday life, there was never any grief counselors or anything like that and I am from a very small town also.
I just can NOT imagine losing any of my 3 kids in anyway, and to think that the Father witnessed this tragedy is far beyond the pain that we can imagine
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:08:24 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

How about real drivers training instead?

There is nothing (short of a moose) that would cause me to depart from my lane if it was unsafe to do so.

People swerve to avoid all sorts of shit when they should just grit their teath and hit it dead center.  Animals, cardboard boxes and bits of tire.  Far too many people allow their expensive vehicle to influence their decision making process.  When you are driving, the vehicle is disposable.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:12:46 AM EDT
[#27]

This is why I always yell at my wife (not really yell) when she swerves out of the way of something on the highway.

Just hit it!!! Its better than losing control and flipping.

Sad sad story......
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:24:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Damn. Im sorry...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#29]

Do not take even ONE MOMENT here for granted...

I drink my first cup from a Twilight Monuments mug. It has a sample of their product printed on the side and brings life into focus.

Condolences to the friends and family.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:35:29 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
hard to say without seeing the vehicle in a rollover suv at 70mph+ it could have been bad either way.

The driver, a 17-year-old female, and the remaining three passengers, two 17-year-old girls and an 18-year-old male, were injured but those injuries did not appear to be life-threatening, authorities said. Two went to Children's Hospital and two to Shelby Baptist Medical Center.

I surprised the loss wasn't greater. Maybe the rest were buckled up.

IIRC a few years ago a family (of 4?) was killed returning from the beach in this area. Crossover? The state began putting dividers on certain stretches shortly after.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:38:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:42:11 AM EDT
[#32]
The one that hit me was the one about a family that took a small aircraft to someplace like New Mexico, it crashed killing everyone (5 family members i think) on it except for thier 21 year old daughter that stayed behind to work.

I couldnt imagine all 5 of my closest family members going like that.  Definitely a reality check.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Daniel's friend will be fine, thankfully.  The viewing was today, services tomorrow.  My wife is enjoying lending a hand at the community pool so all of them can get a break to deal with this.  She's like a "den mother" to those kids at the pool, all high-schoolers.  GREAT kids, every one of them.

I'll second waht others have said, DON'T SWERVE!  Whatever it is, control your vehicle, slow down as fast as you safely can, and hit the damned thing.  That's what tow trucks and insurance are for.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top