Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 10:59:59 AM EDT
Well, my wife is at least.  I could be just as happy without a dog.  But her rational is that the kids need one.

she found a woman who has 2 female pups and one male.  The females are papered, male is not due to his white coloring.

both parents are dry mouthed, the pups appeared to be dry mouth.  They have the first set of shots, and tails have been done

The male is the more dominant, the black faced female is a close second, and the white faced female is much less dominant.

We are going to see the parents some time this week, the woman said they are both good with kids.  The male parent being more mellow than the female.  Neither parent has health problems.

I have 3 kids, all male.  Ages 8 and 16 months (not a typo, we have twins).  We are moving into a house with a half acre, so there is plenty of room.  
I grew up with boxer dogs.  We had 3 total, all were excellent dogs and very personable, very loyal, and would still play up till thier teens (human years).  We had 2 mellow ones and one that was very hyper until she was about 3.  

I personally would not mind if we got a dog, I understand that its going to end up my responsibility.  I understand that I am going to lose some personal property while the dog is still a puppy.

Did I miss anything?

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:01:43 AM EDT
[#1]
forgot to add.

Yes that is my crotch you are staring at.  (and I am a dood!!!)  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:08:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd love to have that one with the white face and large white parts on her paws. My dog Bro is very hyper and gets needy or stir crazy if you don't play with him or give him attention. His stomach seems to be pretty picky so a consistent diet is a must. That may very with dogs. Knock on wood he has been very healthy and vet bills have been to a minimum. The tail is a good thing but I like their ears natural for sure. Tail = personality but it also equaled blood on the walls from when it would get broken open. It is a whip. I wouldn't worry too much about papers other than shot records etc. We got ours from the rescue already neutered. Kids and dogs go well together but if you don't have the time and patience for both something will suffer. Mine is great with other dogs large and small and loves kids. He knows to calm down around them and not be so hyper or jump. His dew claws are very sharp so have those removed if possible. Very loyal and fun dogs. I wish I had room/time/$ for a buddy for him.

Picture of him in the car. Very good on road trips.
Playing with his mom.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have time to spend with them, they are awesome family dogs. You say you have an 8 year son...they will be best friends!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:13:24 AM EDT
[#4]
This:
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#5]
They are fadding in popularity since MMA dogs have come on the scene
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:16:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I love mine though he is stubborn and has a damn allergy that causes a rash during the summer. Just wish I could figure out what.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:17:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you have time to spend with them, they are awesome family dogs. You say you have an 8 year son...they will be best friends!

forgot to mention that my wife and I work opposite of each other.  We do not use day care or baby sitters.  So one of us is home with the kids 99% of the time.  

Sucks because we do not see each other, but is good because we do not have strangers in our house with our kids.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Boxers are great dogs.  The dog trainer that does all the K9 work for local departments raises and trains them for K9 work.  They're a capable breed.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#9]
We have TWO.   A Male and A Female.. Our Female is DOMINANT..  In fact when we first got her we had a 6 year old Male ROTT that she Immediately OWNED!  LOL

And when they tell you to be prepared for a "60 pound Lapdog.. They MEAN IT" I have two Pillows each night too..

I would go with the girl personally (seeing as your wife is already OUTNUMBERED)

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#10]
do you guy's have opions about buying a dominant playful puppy.  Versus the one that lays down and likes to be pet and readily rolls over showing its belly.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
We have TWO.   A Male and A Female.. Our Female is DOMINANT..  In fact when we first got her we had a 6 year old Male ROTT that she Immediately OWNED!  LOL

And when they tell you to be prepared for a "60 pound Lapdog.. They MEAN IT" I have two Pillows each night too..

I would go with the girl personally (seeing as your wife is already OUTNUMBERED)

Lol, mines skinny at 80 pounds and stands 26" at the shoulders.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:21:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I love mine though he is stubborn and has a damn allergy that causes a rash during the summer. Just wish I could figure out what.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/jmarkma/004.jpg

When does he break out?  Could it have something to do with the grass after it is cut?  Our girl seems to have something like this and I notice it alot more once I mow the lawn and she rolls around in the yard....
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:23:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When does he break out?  Could it have something to do with the grass after it is cut?  Our girl seems to have something like this and I notice it alot more once I mow the lawn and she rolls around in the yard....

Doesn't seem to have anything to do with the grass cuttings just happens in the summer months in general. It is worse this year than last. I am thinking it is some kind of weed around here since we are out in the country and he gets into all kinds of crap in the yard. I have been putting Benadryl cream on the affected areas that he often chews, leaving no hair, and giving him antihistamines.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:24:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Sweet, affectionate, and high energy.

They love to play. Better for the older child/children; maybe too much for the infant for a few years.

Downside. They are short lived. Eight to nine is a common lifespan.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
do you guy's have opions about buying a dominant playful puppy.  Versus the one that lays down and likes to be pet and readily rolls over showing its belly.

Well our female was a NUT as a pup.. Major attitude and was very hyper and playful,(she still is very vocal when she wants something, especially when she DOESN'T want me sitting next to Daddy.. LOL)  She has mellowed out though and just turned 3 this June.  And with an 8 year old... You have a great way to tire them BOTH out!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:24:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Lol, mines skinny at 80 pounds and stands 26" at the shoulders.

This pups are going to be on the big side for boxers.  They are big for 8 weeks and feel pretty solid.

They are from a litter of 3.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Doesn't seem to have anything to do with the grass cuttings just happens in the summer months in general. It is worse this year than last. I am thinking it is some kind of weed around here since we are out in the country and he gets into all kinds of crap in the yard. I have been putting Benadryl cream on the affected areas that he often chews, leaving no hair, and giving him antihistamines.

How about his paws?  Our girl Chews her Paws like crazy at times and I would LOVE to know why!  I spray hydrocortisone on them when she is really going at it and she will stop when we tell her too though she will let you know that she is annoyed by that suggestion.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:30:13 AM EDT
[#18]
My ex had one.  They're great dogs.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Had one growing up. Was an awesome companion. Fun, playful, smart, loyal, etc. All the stuff a kid wanted in a dog. Unfortunately his arthritis was so bad at about 9 that we had to put him down.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#20]
I have never met a breed that can peel paint off of walls with dogfarts better than boxers.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about his paws?  Our girl Chews her Paws like crazy at times and I would LOVE to know why!  I spray hydrocortisone on them when she is really going at it and she will stop when we tell her too though she will let you know that she is annoyed by that suggestion.  

Paws don't seem to bother him. It is usually on his hind legs or groin area.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:35:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have never met a breed that can peel paint off of walls with dogfarts better than boxers.

Don't forget they are often audible farts as well, not many sbd's.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't know who it was that was spraying on Benadryl and also giving an oral antihistamine. Be careful as you can make the dog toxic. They will absorb the topical antihistamine esp. if the skin is broken. I like Boxers, they are about the best tempered dog. Too bad about the hips and arthritis.SS
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'd love to have that one with the white face and large white parts on her paws. My dog Bro is very hyper and gets needy or stir crazy if you don't play with him or give him attention. His stomach seems to be pretty picky so a consistent diet is a must. That may very with dogs. Knock on wood he has been very healthy and vet bills have been to a minimum. The tail is a good thing but I like their ears natural for sure. Tail = personality but it also equaled blood on the walls from when it would get broken open. It is a whip. I wouldn't worry too much about papers other than shot records etc. We got ours from the rescue already neutered. Kids and dogs go well together but if you don't have the time and patience for both something will suffer. Mine is great with other dogs large and small and loves kids. He knows to calm down around them and not be so hyper or jump. His dew claws are very sharp so have those removed if possible. Very loyal and fun dogs. I wish I had room/time/$ for a buddy for him.

i68.photobucket.com/albums/i13/qwikkota/SmartBro.jpg
Picture of him in the car. Very good on road trips.
Playing with his mom.

You better get him another book on Quantum Mechanics and SOON.  He appears to be quite the voracious reader.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#25]
I had one, best dog ever (he died a few yeras ago). Very protective and great with kids. Mine weighed in about 90lbs. He had bad allergies and I spent thousands of dollars over the years trying to fix the issue (shots, pills, sprays, different foods, test after test up to when he died) but other then that no real issues. His vet put him on Prednesone which was horrible for him, poor guy balloned past 120lbs and was constantly dirnking water.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#26]
I had more fun with my Boxer then a barrel full of monkeys.  We had her for 8 great years.  I miss her every day.  If we had a bigger yard, I would get another one tonight after work.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#27]
I have had my female for two years. You won't find a better companion or a better breed for kids. I had a male once and I can tell you that they will demand more of your time.

My dog has never damaged anything in the house but has always had toys to play with. Goes to the country with me and has never been on a leash since she was 16 weeks old out there. I just let her out of the truck and she always remains within sight. Goes outside by herself when I am busy inside for hours at a time comes the first time I call her.

She will walk with me to my small range but move off about 40 yards when she hears be lock and load and wait for me to finish.

Don't expect the dog to be much of a guard/protector type dog-much to friendly. My dog loves the water but can't swim very well.

Stay away from the all white dog. More given to congenital defects including deafness.
Roger Clemens has a white one that was trained at the same place I took mine. His dog is deaf if the trainer is telling me the truth.

One last thing Boxers are the comedians of the dog world. Anyone who has ever had one will tell you the same thing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I don't know who it was that was spraying on Benadryl and also giving an oral antihistamine. Be careful as you can make the dog toxic. They will absorb the topical antihistamine esp. if the skin is broken. I like Boxers, they are about the best tempered dog. Too bad about the hips and arthritis.SS

That was me. I am somewhat following the vets advice. The creme is just an itch relief one that keeps him from chewing on himself and the vet actually said to use 1mg per pound of body weight. I am using a bit less than that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#29]

I've had two of them in my adult life.  As much as I like them you should probably stay away from the all white one.  They are more prone to deafness and skin issues.  My current male is 9yrs old.  We had him prior to having a baby.  He's been really good with our son even when he acts like a stupid ass.   We caught him sticking the dog in the ass with a cordless phone antenna.  Had to put a stop to that real quick before somebody got hurt.  

Ours was a real SOB when he was a puppy.  He had a dominant attitude from day one.  On a good week he only made my wife cry once or twice.  On a bad week he was about a 1/2 step from the Humane Society.  He didn't mellow out until he turned two.  I would say pick a pup that has a more mellow personality if you don't have a whole lot of experience with working breeds.  Training is a must or they will be unbearable.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

You better get him another book on Quantum Mechanics and SOON.  He appears to be quite the voracious reader.

Yes, he absorbs the material through chewing unfortunately. Drywall is a favorite snack of his as well.

I totally agree on the flatulence. I have never seen a dog as audible as mine who then looks back, sniffs himself and wags his tail. Bastard...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Did you try Grass? I know it souds crazy but alot of dogs are alergic to grass and it comes out in the summer more often due to grass clippings. Something to look into.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I too have grown up with boxers.  I now have a 7 year old brindle male with floppy ears.  He is very mild mannered.  Mine has had a few health problems but nothing out of the ordinary.  I would do anything in the world for my boxer he is that great of a dog.  Good luck with your pick and you really can't make a bad choice.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:01:54 PM EDT
[#33]
I have had 2 close friends with boxers. They were the best dogs I have ever known. When we were 7yo to 10yo, "Queenie" went everywhere with us and watched over and protected us.

My best friend now has a boxer named "Bogie". He is a fine dog. Frisky as a pup. Loves to play tug of war. Protective, intelligent, mines well, not destructive. A very good pet.

I would go for the less dominate female.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top