BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 11:08:51 PM EDT
Special Forces Airborne GSD's!

German Shepherds trained to parachute with SAS troops
by Laura Clout

Last Updated: 7:20AM BST 21/07/2008
A team of dogs is being trained to accompany SAS troops on parachute missions in Iraq and Afghanistan, it has been reported.

Trained dogs are already in use by troops fighting in Afghanistan
It is thought the German Shepherds are being taught to jump from aircraft at 25,000ft, strapped to members of special forces assault teams.

With tiny cameras fixed to their heads, the animals will be sent in before their human partners to hunt for Taliban or insurgent hideouts.

The cameras will beam live images back to the troops as the dogs penetrate behind enemy lines and warn of ambushes.

Article continues
advertisement

According to The Sun, the dogs will be trained to accompany soldiers on what are called 'High Altitude High Opening' parachute jumps, after which they may have to travel 20 miles to their targets.

It is hoped the technique will reduce the level of danger to SAS soldiers, three of whom have been shot dead during raids in Iraq in two years.

At least eight have been seriously wounded.

An SAS source told the newspaper: "The dogs will be exposed to very high levels of danger on these operations and you never know what's going to be behind a door. Nobody wants to see the dogs get killed but if it's their life or a man's it is obvious which the CO would prefer."

The elite American unit, 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment-Delta, commonly known as Delta Force, has pioneered the parachute technique from heights over 20,000ft and its instructors have reportedly been sent over to 22 SAS headquarters in Hereford.

The Ministry of Defence refused to comment.

Dogs were first trained to parachute in the Second World War but have never before jumped from such high altitudes.

The story of Rob the SAS dog, a celebrated collie said to have completed at least 20 parachute jumps, was exposed as a hoax in 2006.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/frontline/2310330/German-Shepherds-trained-to-parachute-with-SAS-troops.html
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I really know a joke about dogs and skydiving....

I'm not even gonna post it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Thats a mean looking puppy...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:11:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I hope the dogs and troops are able to work together to catch the rats in their holes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Thats a mean looking puppy...
+1
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:12:24 PM EDT
[#5]
in before the story of how a jahadi wet himself after a dog barked at him and the interview of said jahadi for his multi million $$$$ book deal .
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:14:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
in before the story of how a jahadi wet himself after a dog barked at him and the interview of said jahadi for his multi million $$$$ book deal .

Given that the dogs work with the SAS, I am willing to bet most Hadji's don't get to tell their story but do get 70 virgin goats by Allah.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:03:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I really know a joke about dogs and skydiving....

I'm not even gonna post it.

The one about the blind owner?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:07:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Given that the dogs work with the SAS, I am willing to bet most Hadji's don't get to tell their story but do get 70 virgin goats by Allah.

ah..

with that knowledge.. i go to sleep..

< hope I dream about some dogs.. and some hadji's..   wonder how it will turn out >

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:29:40 AM EDT
[#9]
How did they teach the dog to pull the rip cord?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:06:07 AM EDT
[#10]
The dog in the OP looks unhappy.

Well, Duh! Someone's been throwing him out of an airplane! He might be a little stressed about that.

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:20:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:26:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is must fall under the heading of.....what's worse?

A. Getting your ass handed to you by the SAS or.....

B. Getting your ass chewed on by a German sheperd...or

C. All of the above
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:51:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks like a friendly little pooch.  Is the the softer side of the SAS?  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:54:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top