Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 5:56:52 PM EDT
Hey guys, I've been trying to replace the thermostat and outlet housing on my 95 F-150 and after I got the new one on it leaked as soon as I filled up the radiator.  Any ideas on what it could be?

I'm kinda wondering if the thermosatat slipped out of alignment and got pinched between the outlet housing and the engine block's mating surface.  Is that possible?

Thanks, Monte.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hey guys, I've been trying to replace the thermostat and outlet housing on my 95 F-150 and after I got the new one on it leaked as soon as I filled up the radiator.  Any ideas on what it could be?

I'm kinda wondering if the thermosatat slipped out of alignment and got pinched between the outlet housing and the engine block's mating surface.  Is that possible?
Thanks, Monte.

Yes.  

Is it a 5.0/5.8?  If so, there is a recessed area in the water outlet that the thermostat seats into.  I would glue that sucker on with the gasket and then install it.  Be careful because if it isn't in there all the way the housing may crack when tightened.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, Monte.

Yes.  

Is it a 5.0/5.8?  If so, there is a recessed area in the water outlet that the thermostat seats into.  I would glue that sucker on with the gasket and then install it.  Be careful because if it isn't in there all the way the housing may crack when tightened.

It's a 4.9.  I guess I'll pull it off and try it your way tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:14:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Some thermostat housings are made of aluminum, if the system wasn't maintained with antifreeze, the water, and iron metals will corrode the housing. Sometimes developing pinhole leaks.

Here is a good pointer, before installing the new thermostat, drill a small hole 3/32s to 1/8th. in the mounting flange. This will allow you to fill system and not have to burp it.

It also helps the thermostat work more efficiently
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:24:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Gasketing.  Did it have a gasket or is it a newer o-ringed model?  Either way, it needs a new one.  

I replaced the T-stat in my bro's 2k Dakota, paper gasket.  When you pull the cover, both gasketing surfaces need to be cleaned flush.  And a good sealant helps bond the gasket to keep it in place.

With O-ringed T-stats, the seat needs to be PERFECT.  Any nicks and sealing will be difficult.  Clean, perfectly clean and smooth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top