Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 12:34:29 PM EDT
Fisherman hooks drowning man and reels him in
HALLOWELL, Maine — A man who was drowning in a Maine river is recovering after someone reeled him in with a fishing rod.

Bob Greene of Hallowell says he heard what he thought was a bird early Thursday as he was having his morning coffee. He then realized there was a man bobbing in the Kennebec River.

He says a 911 dispatcher told him to throw something to the man. He snagged the man's shirt with a fishing lure and reeled him in.

The rescued man is in critical condition at a Portland hospital.

Hallowell Police Chief Eric Nason says Greene did the right thing by calling police first and not jumping into the water.

___

July 18, 2008 - 7:04 a.m. CDT

Copyright 2008, The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP Online news report may not be published, broadcast or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#1]
That's something you don't see everyday.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#2]
good catch
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
good catch

You should have seen the one that got away.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:41:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw that story too...A little hard to believe. I'd like to know what kind of line he was using. Glad they are ok.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Well done!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#6]
That guy is lucky the fisherman was there...and even luckier he didn't get the hook through his skin

Better to get hooked than to drown, absolutely, but getting reeled in would hurt.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#7]
So, would you fry him or broil him?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Pics or it didn't happen.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:44:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Sadly, Mr. Green was given a citation for fishing without a licence.

History made today!

This is the first time that I have ever seen Old_Painless make a smartaleck response to a topic!

Well done.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Fish and game also busted his butt for not doing a catch and release on a protected species.

I assume he going to use the age old "the guy was gill hooked anyway" argument.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#13]
He should definitely apply for an official world record for bringing in a human on that particular weight tackle.

It's not like  there will be a lot of competition.

"15 pound test class world record for a human catch goes to...Bob Greene."

CJ
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:05:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I think the guy was just fishing for attention.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I gotta ask....  What lure and rig did he land that catch with?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:09:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Does this mean the man will be stuffed and mounted over the fireplace?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

History made today!

This is the first time that I have ever seen Old_Painless make a smartaleck response to a topic!

Well done.

You've already forgot about the grief I gave you about not being a Doctor yesterday.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow, that is pretty quick thinking. I don't think I would've thought about something like this.  If the fisherman had jumped in the water he could've also possibly become a statistic, some of those streams the water is very cold and runs fast.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
No joke.

Three years ago, I was body-surfing off of West Palm Beach, the waves were as impressive as the undertow.

Suddenly, I was dragged off my feet. I stood up, and was yanked off my feet again...sucking in a bunch of seawater. I felt down and was surprised by a bird's-nest of heavy line, and what felt like a tree branch through my foot. Between dunkings, I called my buddies over to help.

Once in the shallows, it became clear I had stepped on a offshore fishing hook that went up into the arch of my right foot. Planting itself into my bone. Everytime the undertow went out, I was pulled with it. God knows how far out the line went. Two friends/coworkers hauled me up on shore and cut the line with a pocket knife.

When the lifeguards showed up, they said "people step on fish hooks all the ti...OH MY GOD" It was the diameter of a clothes hanger and bleeding like a bitch. They wrapped it up with a towel and rushed me to the emergency room, where they cut it out. It hurt like a mother. When the doctor unwrapped it, she was a surprised as the lifeguards. Of course, I was cracking jokes the whole time.

Got to spend a few days on crutches for that one.

How awlful Delta treated me on the plane ride home is another story.

Having been in undertow my self before ,your story could of had a MUCH worse ending.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Ingenuity at its best!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#23]
What size line?  Could be a state record if it was a fat boy.  If not, catch and release.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#24]
What the articale didnt say was that he measured the man then threw hium back for being under the limit.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Did you reply to your own post?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fish and game also busted his butt for not doing a catch and release on a protected species.

I assume he going to use the age old "the guy was gill hooked anyway" argument.

Also the man was undersized being only 5 ft 6in and Mr. Green was fined for keeping an undersized catch. He was also charged with snagging as the hook was not in the mouth area.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Does this mean the man will be stuffed and mounted over the fireplace?

He could get one of those replicas.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you reply to your own post?

Nope.

I was responding to this thing called a "news article"....
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I saw that story too...A little hard to believe. I'd like to know what kind of line he was using. Glad they are ok.

It really depends on how he reeled him in.

A long time ago my boat broke down on a lake and my friend and I cast on to shore and reeled the boat in close enough to jump off and use a rope the rest of the way.

We were fishing for trout so I doubt that any line we had was over 15 pound test.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Wow, that is pretty quick thinking. I don't think I would've thought about something like this.  If the fisherman had jumped in the water he could've also possibly become a statistic, some of those streams the water is very cold and runs fast.

Am I the only one who noticed the last line where the police chief said that he did the 'right thing by calling police first"?

WTF, over?

"Hello, 911?  yeah, uh, this is Rangermonroe... there is a guy drowning in the river in front of my house.  

"He sounded like a bird.  Imagine that!  I said... hmmm, that bird sounds like a dying man... so I moseyed over and ... lookee' there... it is a dying man!

"So I hit the page button on that new fangled cordless phone... never can find that thing... and hit speed dial #1... that is you all.  

"What do y'all think I ought to do here?  No.  He's just kinda floating there about 50' off my dock.  Not making much noise at all, now.

"throw something to him?   Hmmm... I have this here brick...No?   alrighty then... I figger something out."

Hey... there's my Shimano baitcasting 2000 with a snatch hook on it that I forgot to hide after last weekend's trout fishing trip.   That'll 'git 'er dun.

Come on guy's!

This POS "hero" had enough time to put down his coffee, call 911, and get directions from a dispatcher  on what he should do, find a fishing pole, and snag the guy!

Anyone who has cast a lure knows that a lure wont go more than a hundred feet on a good day...

This guy is a probably gonna be a turnip because he needed a fat civil servant desk jockey to tell him

"Uh... go save the guy's life?"

But the Sheriff says he did the right thing by calling them first.  

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#31]
So...

I actually get the final say on this?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top