Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 3:20:46 AM EDT
 I was driving down a farm to market road out in the county when i got ready to turn off into this oil field I notice a county motercycle cop with his lights on behind me.  I knew that I had been going over 60 so as I come to a stop on this oilfield road I pull out my drivers and carry license.  I knew that I was going to get a ticket.  I turn off the car open the window put both hands on the stearing wheel with my licenses in my hands.

The officer took my info. and asked if I had a weapon and I replied yes .  He asked me where it was and I told him it was in the day pack on the front seat.  he then asked me if I had any other weapons on me.  I told him I had a pocket knife.  

He then asked if I would mind comeing to the rear of the car as he would feel safer and that we all want to go home every day.  I said yes sir I understand.

He asked me if I knew how fast I was going and I told him no sir that I was talking on the cell phone and listing to the radio and that I really  had no idea but that it was over the limit.  

He said well when I passed you i noticed something wrong with the front of your car and i turned around to stop you and I had to go over 120 to catch up with you.  He then said that i was going about 90.  I said i did not think I was going that fast but could have been.

He asked me why I was going fast.  I told him that I had no real reason but that I had spent half the night with my mother at Methodist hospital in the med center in Houston and that I had gone back  this morning to check on her.    That I had two guys working in this oilfield and wanted to check up on them before picking up my work truck and going out on some calls myself.

He asked had I not seen him and I replied not till i was getting ready to turn off into on to the dirt road.  So he asked where my men were and I pointed to one new well and told him that they were at another new well about a mile into the field.

He then asked if I had any warrents and I replied no sir not that I know of.  He then said if you are telling me the truth I will write you a warning

Everything checked out we had some small talk about the heat and oilwells he told me to pay more attention to the  speed limit and that he hoped my mother was ok.  I thanked him for giving me a warning  and his reply was" I try to be reasonable"

I would say he was more than reasonable and that I myself would have given me a ticket if I would have been him.  I expected a ticket .  Was it the concealed carry license?

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:24:08 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
   I expected a ticket .  Was it the concealed carry license?

Only that officer can answer the quiestion, but I would say no. Many officers are not big on writing tickets.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:50:43 AM EDT
[#2]
The traffic stop was bullshit.

He knew you were speeding (an honest person can look at a car and say "Yeah, it's going way over the limit") but he knew there was no way he could prove it.

He said "there was something wrong" with the front of your truck.  What exactly??

He got you to admit to speeding, he could cite based on that admission alone. my bad, misread that part.  He was trying to get you to admit it.

Doesn't sound like he ever got around to what was wrong with the front of your truck.

You should have called a game warden to check the officers fishing license.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:10:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Or, it could be that he was speeding. He asks if the driver knows why he is being pulled over because if the driver doesnt, the officer would have to explain it to him. Doesnt sound like the cop was trying to be an ass. And, i dont believe the cc permit saved you from a ticket. sounds like he no intention of writing one anyway, unless you were wanted. Not all cops are asses, just doing the job.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:20:10 AM EDT
[#4]
He said in the OP that he saw it when he PASSED him...but hell, lets turn this into another cop bashing thread.

TEXASROOTERSBROTHER: I doubt that your CPL got you off, but it is always nice when someone tells me that they are armed.  Contrary to the popular belief here, a little honesty goes a long ways with most cops.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:25:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Could have been, I know several of my friends who are cops here in Missouri have told me that they are less likely to give a ticket to a CCW. I ask then why? They replied you have already been investigated and have fingerprints on file.

But hey I live in rural Missouri, I think if I ever got pulled over the conversation would be: What are you caring? How do you like it? What’s it loaded with? Nice gun, have a nice day let me shoot it if I see you at the range.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:30:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

He knew you were speeding (an honest person can look at a car and say "Yeah, it's going way over the limit") but he knew there was no way he could prove it.

Visual observation is all that is necessary

He said "there was something wrong" with the front of your truck.  What exactly??

He got you to admit to speeding, he could cite based on that admission alone. my bad, misread that part.  He was trying to get you to admit it.

Cannot cite based upon admission without other evidence of a violation

Doesn't sound like he ever got around to what was wrong with the front of your truck.

He didn't care, he found out the OP was one of the good guys and lost interest.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:33:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like reasonable actions by a reasonable cop.  I fail to see a problem.  IMO, your CCL probably had nothing to do with it.  You simply got pulled over by a cop who wasn't a jerk.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:42:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You need other traffic as a reference, "Your honor, the truck appeared to be going twice the speed of the corn.  Yes Sir, corn.  Yes Sir, the stuff they feed the cows, Sir."

They better go back and wipe out citations I've written then.  Admission of guilt seals the deal for a traffic citation.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:18:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You need other traffic as a reference, "Your honor, the truck appeared to be going twice the speed of the corn.  Yes Sir, corn.  Yes Sir, the stuff they feed the cows, Sir."

An officers visual estimate is not dependant upon other vehicles in NY, in order to complete the NYSP academy a budding trooper must be +/- 5mph in a minimum of 300 estimates. As an interstate trooper is is not unusual to see guys hit dead on all the time. i was usually never more than 2 mph off.

They better go back and wipe out citations I've written then.  Admission of guilt seals the deal for a traffic citation.

You had other criteria then, you didn't just stop and fish as was implied

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:21:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He did go look at the front of the suburban but he did not need a reason to go fishing hell it was obvious that I was speeding he got behind me and I know that I was going at least 75.  We were the only two on the road a couple of cars passed while we were stopped. All the dope traffic that passes through this part of Texas any stop like this could be the lottery.  Dont we all go fishing I see people every day that are suspicous and alot of the drug stops start with a traffic stop.

He never asked for insurance .  I think he was just being nice to one of the good guys and I know that I have slowed down.  I have been let off several times and it seems that officers like people or are at ease with concealed carry holders.

There is no reason to bash this cop he could have made it very hard on me.  I was ready for a good ticket but he gave me a warning like a 48 year old needs a warning and he was nice.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:38:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I assume the speed limit was 60 as in your op you stated you were going over 60. He clocked you doing 90. 30 mph over while talking on a cell phone too? Id be friggin ecstatic getting a warning also
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:47:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Maybe he was not a shitburger bacause you were not.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:51:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I assume the speed limit was 60 as in your op you stated you were going over 60. He clocked you doing 90. 30 mph over while talking on a cell phone too? Id be friggin ecstatic getting a warning also

Speed limit was 60.  He never said he clocked me he said you must have been going about 90.  Something that made me think that he did not use the radar which might be hard going 120 on a bike or that I was already slowing down for the turn when he got close.   I dont think i was going 90.  My gps in my work truck has a max trip speed and most of the time when I reset it it is about 86 for some reason i never seem to go over 86.  But my work truck is a fully loaded f 350 and I was driving a subrban when pulled over.  My comfort speed on most open roads is about 72.  In any case I was due a ticket and was very happy to get a warning
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:55:17 AM EDT
[#14]
My brother had a TX trooper tell him to keep the gun on his person, not in the lockbox, as it does no good in there.  Gave him a warning.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:58:00 AM EDT
[#15]
A concealed carry license shows the officer that you are a responsible law abiding citizen. Maybe he decided to cut you a break because of that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:01:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I have been stopped three times since I got my CCW. Once in Texas, twice in Oklahoma. I did not get a ticket or a warning each time.

In Waco TX I was going 89 in a 70 and deserved a big ticket. I also had about 27 guns in the back of my suburban. The trooper looked at my DL and CCW (both from OK), told me to slow down and have a good night.

I think the CCW is a good indicator that you are an upstanding citizen and automatically puts most police at ease.

At least in my case, it has seemed to make a difference.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:29:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
A concealed carry license shows the officer that you are a responsible law abiding citizen. Maybe he decided to cut you a break because of that.

That's never happened to me.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:34:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Yeah, pure BS sounds like the cop was a real dick too.

You have proven over and over again you have no real knowledge of LE work.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:42:12 AM EDT
[#19]
The permit may have played a part.

I'll bet it was a combination of several things.

It sounds as though you were honest and calm and made an effort to make the officer at ease by showing hands , etc. Body language , clothing and the vehicle may have been a factor also. You were a man on his way to a job/business , employing people , and I think that matters too.

Although the officer may not have really wanted to write a ticket , it doesn't seem like "fishing" to me. It sounds like speeding. He may have just thought you're ok , he needed to get you pulled over and have a conversation with you to ascertain that , and you were speeding and he may have wanted to know why. When the news about your mother and having work on your mind was stated he probably just understood and wanted to act reasonably - as he said.

Seems like he just didn't feel right about writing you the ticket for any possible combination of reasons. But the permit probably was a positive factor.

I hope your mother is feeling better.

-JC
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:10:25 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm right and you fucking know it
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:15:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:30:31 AM EDT
[#22]
According to ARFCOM GD, shouldn't you have refused to speak to him and just just sat in your vehicle?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:55:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever you say, Nationwide.

Have you ever met a traffic stop that you didn't sneer at?

The guy was obviously speeding, was honest about it, and it was a legitimate stop.  He let him go with a warning and didn't hassle the OP.  I'm afraid I don't see the problem here.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:56:52 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Police officers do not like writing tickets to good people that could someday save their lives.

I would never ticket a CCW holder if I were a officer unless they were doing really stupid shit, especially out in the middle of nowhere (oil fields, back roads) as I may need their help someday.

I have never turned an officer down when asked and  would not hesitate to help if I saw an officer in trouble.   I am not much of a fist fighter but I might be of some help.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever you say, Nationwide.

Have you ever met a traffic stop that you didn't sneer at?

The guy was obviously speeding, was honest about it, and it was a legitimate stop.  He let him go with a warning and didn't hassle the OP.  I'm afraid I don't see the problem here.

Oh, the call for back up has been put out! [/shock and awe]

The officer said he saw something wrong with the front of the truck.  WHAT WAS WRONG WITH THE FRONT OF THE TRUCK?

Oilfield workers are just like everyone else, that means good and bad people.  Cop was fishing.  Our friend here was squeaky clean cuz he's a good guy that just like to drive inattentively.  Cop cut him a break and that's it.

If something really was wrong with the truck, something that the officer could justify pulling the guy over for, I would expect some discussion of it, wouldn't you?

And I acknowledged the speeding in my post, if you had read it instead of acting on information and belief of your brother.

FAIL

ETA:  And if you took your ear away from your ARFCOM police scanner, and actually read my posts, you would know that I agree with the Police around here as much as I disagree with them.  However, your disposition is not consideration of the facts, but who's pissing on the TTBL today.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:07:48 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
According to ARFCOM GD, shouldn't you have refused to speak to him and just just sat in your vehicle?

Best policy is to do what they say when they say even if you dont like it.  This is why I had my hands on the stearing wheel with my license ready.  If they can see your hands, you are clean cut,  say yes and no sir, and be nice you can avoid trips to jail.  He could have arrested me for excessive speed or dangerous driving, had my car towed, taken my gun and  it would have been a mess.  I knew I had a ticket coming so why get irrate.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:15:50 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

The officer said he saw something wrong with the front of the truck.  WHAT WAS WRONG WITH THE FRONT OF THE TRUCK?

Oilfield workers are just like everyone else, that means good and bad people.  Cop was fishing.  Our friend here was squeaky clean cuz he's a good guy that just like to drive inattentively.  Cop cut him a break and that's it.

If something really was wrong with the truck, something that the officer could justify pulling the guy over for, I would expect some discussion of it, wouldn't you?

And I acknowledged the speeding in my post, if you had read it instead of acting on information and belief of your brother.

FAIL

ETA:  And if you took your ear away from your ARFCOM police scanner, and actually read my posts, you would know that I agree with the Police around here as much as I disagree with them.  However, your disposition is not consideration of the facts, but who's pissing on the TTBL today.

I take marching orders from nobody.  There's no coordinated ARFCOM LEO campaign to shout down poor ole' Nationwide, so get over yourself, buddy.

I'm not the one pissing on the traffic stop as "bullsh*t" and "fishing" based on nothing more than my own opinion.

And who cares what was wrong with the truck?  It wasn't like there was no justification for the stop.  If the OP was really doing 70-90 on a country road (and he admitted that he could have been), a green rookie could have visibly recognized that he was waaaaay over the limit, and that's grounds for a traffic stop.

He didn't shake down the OP, prone him out, or trump up some PC to search his vehicle.  He even wished his sick mother well, and didn't skin him.

This isn't the "bullsh*t" stop you were looking for.  Why don't you find something real to complain about.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:34:48 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FAIL

I take marching orders from nobody.  There's no coordinated ARFCOM LEO campaign to shout down poor ole' Nationwide, so get over yourself, buddy.

I'm not the one pissing on the traffic stop as "bullsh*t" and "fishing" based on nothing more than my own opinion.

And who cares what was wrong with the truck?  It wasn't like there was no justification for the stop.  If the OP was really doing 70-90 on a country road (and he admitted that he could have been), a green rookie could have visibly recognized that he was waaaaay over the limit, and that's grounds for a traffic stop.

He didn't shake down the OP, prone him out, or trump up some PC to search his vehicle.  He even wished his sick mother well, and didn't skin him.

This isn't the "bullsh*t" stop you were looking for.  Why don't you find something real to complain about.

I was speeding.  I would not have posted about this if I had been written a ticket.  The fact that I was not and that this seems to happen alot to ccw holders is why I posted.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:36:33 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, you think you're right.

But you are still wrong. There was plenty of PC for the stop. The OP was clearly speeding.

Find something real to complain about.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:38:46 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FAIL

I was speeding.  I would not have posted about this if I had been written a ticket.  The fact that I was not and that this seems to happen alot to ccw holders is why I posted.

Good LEOs will assume anyone can and will be armed. It's not the guys with CCWs that are the problem. They are usually fine people.

I am sure he lost interest fast once he figured out you were a good guy.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:51:15 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

See?  That's what I'm talking about... good on you for being honest about it.  You didn't whine, or bitch-and-moan about "pretext stops," "revenue generation," or some other side issue.  You owned up to it, took it like a man, treated the officer with respect... THAT is probably what got you a warning instead of a ticket.  Unless you're dealing with a pissed-at-his-life, smart-aleck officer who's angry from the jump, respect and responsibility are frequently returned in kind.

That's what men do.  They admit their mistakes and take their lumps.  The officer saw that, recognized it, and cut an obviously honest, responsible citizen a break.  Your CCW probably didn't hurt, but IMO attitude is 90% of a traffic stop.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:52:46 AM EDT
[#32]
I haven't read the whole thread....But as a officer I would guess it was your honesty and attitude they go a long way into the decision making process.  The CHL probably didn't hurt either.  On another note is your mother doing ok?

Travis
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:54:44 AM EDT
[#33]
I have found my CCW a get out of jail free card for stops.  I've been stopped several times for various stuff and only got one ticket: a seatbelt ticket when he could have impounded me for driving on waaaay expired tags.

I think cops see the ccw and know you're an honest guy who maybe mad a mistake and not some guy with a warrant or history of breaking the law.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:03:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Best policy is to do what they say when they say even if you dont like it.  This is why I had my hands on the stearing wheel with my license ready.  If they can see your hands, you are clean cut,  say yes and no sir, and be nice you can avoid trips to jail.  He could have arrested me for excessive speed or dangerous driving, had my car towed, taken my gun and  it would have been a mess.  I knew I had a ticket coming so why get irrate.  

Eh, yer sarcasm meter might some lookin' into.................
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:05:44 AM EDT
[#35]

He said well when I passed you i noticed something wrong with the front of your car and i turned around to stop you and I had to go over 120 to catch up with you.

You should have citizen's arrested him for admitting to breaking the Speed Limit.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:13:22 AM EDT
[#36]

Was it the concealed carry license?

No...  he was just letting you know that you were fucking up. No need to make a presentation out of it.

ETA:  

All the dope traffic that passes through this part of Texas any stop like this could be the lottery.

Makes sense to me now...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I haven't read the whole thread....But as a officer I would guess it was your honesty and attitude they go a long way into the decision making process.  The CHL probably didn't hurt either.  On another note is your mother doing ok?

Travis
                                                                                                           Not good.  She got out of the hospital but she has had a form of leukemia for 18 months and she is 87 years old.  Her platelets are low as are all her other counts due to the meds.  She is bed ridden and almost blind.  We lost our father her husband in Feb. in an operation to save his remaining leg.  She has had a big bump on her back that we found to be dried blood probably due to a fall  and it seems to be getting bigger.   She does not want to go to the emergency room so tomorrow I will put her through the torture of going back to the doctor for another blood test and possible transfusion.  I cooked breakfast for her changed her diaper and watched fox new with her this morning.  While in the hospital she was paranoid and hallucinated but as soon as we left the place, her mind cleared up and she is happy to be alive.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:20:32 AM EDT
[#38]
I can say that having a CHL here in Texas sometimes makes a difference when you get pulled over. The cops that have pulled me over are usually more polite after they see my CHL. The last time I got pulled over the officer made the comment that CHL holders are usually "pretty levelheaded"... The officers that I have encountered seem to look at CHL's as a positive thing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Could have been, I know several of my friends who are cops here in Missouri have told me that they are less likely to give a ticket to a CCW. I ask then why? They replied you have already been investigated and have fingerprints on file.

But hey I live in rural Missouri, I think if I ever got pulled over the conversation would be: What are you caring? How do you like it? What’s it loaded with? Nice gun, have a nice day let me shoot it if I see you at the range.

CCW has got me out of an OBVIOUS ticket in rural MO, Camdenton to be exact.  Speeding while going down a hill (probably 45 in a 35), and expired tags.  Saw the officer pull out behind me, and I just pulled over before he even hit the lights.  He asked why I'd stopped and I told him I knew I'd gone too fast down that hill and I thought I'd save him the trouble.  I had my P220 in the seat next to me, with my hands glued to the wheel.  He came over to the passenger side, checked out my pistol, asked if it was registered, we talked for a minute, and he let me go.

My understanding from LE friends of mine is that most felony arrests arise from traffic stops, and if they aren't getting something good, a lot of the time some polite behavior and honesty can get you out of a ticket.  It worked for me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:27:34 AM EDT
[#40]
It does not help! I have been given much more respect by the police since I have a conceal carry but no body has let me off the hook. They do treat me with much more respect though.

Alittle story.

I was pulled over on my motorcycle for doing a wheelie (front tire left the ground about 12 inches)

I was pulled over and complied. He asked if I was carrying. I said yes, he said where, and I pointed to my tank bag.

He said put it on the ground. I took out my keltec and placed it on the ground. He came back in 2 minutes and said, "I ment, put your tank bag on the ground."

I felt stupid but he should have been more specific.

I still got a ticket for wreckless driving, which was total bull shit and ruined my driving record for 5 years. Fuck him and fuck the stupid law.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:34:15 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eh, yer sarcasm meter might some lookin' into.................

I know ,but it is funny how people act when they are in the wrong and get caught.  The side of the road is not the place to argue constitutional law.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
It does not help! I have been given much more respect by the police since I have a conceal carry but no body has let me off the hook. They do treat me with much more respect though.

Alittle story.

I was pulled over on my motorcycle for doing a wheelie (front tire left the ground about 12 inches)

I was pulled over and complied. He asked if I was carrying. I said yes, he said where, and I pointed to my tank bag.

He said put it on the ground. I took out my keltec and placed it on the ground. He came back in 2 minutes and said, "I ment, put your tank bag on the ground."

I felt stupid but he should have been more specific.

I still got a ticket for wreckless driving, which was total bull shit and ruined my driving record for 5 years. Fuck him and fuck the stupid law.

Only two things we have in common  we both broke the law and we both have ccw.  I have consistantly gotten warnings even before my ccw but none for 90mph.  I would have given myself a ticket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top