Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 2:33:33 AM EDT
Heres the story, I have been a Govt Contractor for almost 3 years now working at various locations in N.VA, I live in MD.  I have had commute lengths of almost 170 miles a day now down to 110 a day.  For the last 26 months I have been working as a courier and that adds another 50-60 miles to my daily drive, depending on what day of the week it is, we alternate driving every other day for the run.

The company I work for is pretty small but we get darn good money considering what we pick-up and deliver and also due to our security clearances.  Last Fri I was called by Northrop Grumman and offered a job, I had interviewed a week prior to that.  They can not match the salary I am making now, which I figured would happen due to the Govt entity that will be the sponsor for my Clearance.

They best they can do is offer me $5.46/hr less then what I make now.  On the plus side I will be reducing the mileage I add to my Jeep by over 11,500.  I have an 04 Jeep Liberty which I bought new July 04 with 5 miles on it and I now have over 102,000 on it, I would say 75% of that mileage comes from my driving to N.VA.   So that would decrease the $ I spend on gas by at least $3,500 not to mention oil changes and wear and tear on my Jeep.

My commute is Rte 95 to Rte 495, in the AM I rarely have problems, coming home is a whole different story.  Last Fri I left at 2:10 PM because I had to get home and take a pet to the Vets.  I didn't get home until 4 PM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That was for a 55 mile drive.  And Summer is only half way done, I do not feel like going through that crap each Fri.  

As a result of all the stop and go driving I do I have developed Morton's Neuroma in my right foot, which is very painful.  If I continue the job I have now I may have to go through surgery for my foot, which I am NOT looking forward too!! This new job would be an office position, with around a 60 mile a day commute, it could be less because there are several routes I could take.

We managed to pay our mortgage off last Summer so that is one less payment to make, and I think we can swing the reduction in my salary.  But the biggest plus would be a heck of a better commute each AM.  I am set with firearms, really do not need/want anymore, and I figure my Jeep should last another 2 years until we get my wife's paid off.

They may be able to get me $1/hr more, not sure, but the benefits of going with the #3 defense contractor I think will far outweigh the reduction in pay.  What say you, hive mind?  Think I should just tighten the belt and go for the new job?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:38:03 AM EDT
[#1]
IMHO sounds like a winner to me.... Money isn't everything
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:22:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't sound like you'd really have to tighten your belt all that much if it saves you a bundle in gas and wear and tear on your vehicle, not to mention the time you'd save.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:37:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Right now I get up at 3:15 AM, that way I can get my critters fed and have a nice, leisurely commute in, that way I get to work around 5:30 AM and get a spot to park under the trees.  This other job starts at 7 AM, I have to start now at 6 AM, so I usually go to sleep before 9 PM each night, which has been putting a heck of a strain on my marriage because I sleep in the front bedroom during the week.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:44:59 AM EDT
[#4]
sounds like you know the answer already. A pay cut made up in quality of life - sounds decent to me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:46:06 AM EDT
[#5]
New job - money isn't everything and with the mileage reduction it shoud be near even.

I live in MD - where are you?  Me: near Loch Raven
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:48:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
New job - money isn't everything and with the mileage reduction it shoud be near even.

I live in MD - where are you?  Me: near Loch Raven

I live in Pasadena, AA CO.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:49:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
sounds like you know the answer already. A pay cut made up in quality of life - sounds decent to me.

^^This^^ Enjoy your extra time not spent commuting and recovering from surgery. Easy decision, IMO.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:51:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
IMHO sounds like a winner to me.... Money isn't everything

+1
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:56:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Go for it.  Your time and wear and tear the car will easily off set the 11k less in salary.  I've always consider a job that was local or in the home would be worth that kind of cut.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:01:01 AM EDT
[#10]
The biggest issue I have with my current job is the commute, it is flat wearing me to a nub!  By Fri I can barely stay up past 9 PM, and that is only IF I drink some coffee.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:36:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Take the new job.  F the traffic.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I e-mailed the manager a few minutes ago to tell her I will take the job.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top