Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/19/2008 8:28:55 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:29:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I hate to agree, but it's really true.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow.  You've drawn some wide-ranging conclusions my friend.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:31:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I ate dinner at an Outback Steak House with 3 buddies last night and our server didn't crack a smile once.  I only left her a tip because the food was so good...about 12%.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:33:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It isn't so bad out here. The stores where it is the worst are the "Liberal Hippie Douche" type stores. I get great service most everywhere I go.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:33:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had similar experiences myself with the Staples here. The only reason to go to the store is to "test-drive" the chairs that they have in stock, pick a model, go home and order online!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:35:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Minimum wage = Minimum effort.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I went to Office Depot for a chair and was asked NINE TIMES if I needed help. I hate that worse than not being able to get help.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:39:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Ain't it the truth. I just got back from 2 Lowe's stores where I attempted to purchase a Charcoal BBQ grill. I couldn't find anyone to help locate one in the overhead for me. Nobody on the aisles in 2 different stores. As my wife and I were leaving the store the assistant manager  told me to have a nice day, I told him I would've if somebody could have help me with a grill I was looking to purchase.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:43:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ain't it the truth. I just got back from 2 Lowe's stores where I attempted to purchase a Charcoal BBQ grill. I couldn't find anyone to help locate one in the overhead for me. Nobody on the aisles in 2 different stores. As my wife and I were leaving the store the assistant manager  told me to have a nice day, I told him I would've if somebody could have help me with a grill I was looking to purchase.

Get online and send a complaint to the corporate office.  The local manager will be calling you back within a day to apologize.  It probably won't change anything but it is nice to know the store got smacked around by coorporate.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#11]
A lot of times, the problem is the pressure from the corporate level to control expenses and payroll. At the top of many large retail corporations, they consider salaries to be an expense rather than an investment. They see only what they are paying out, not the sales that they can generate with more people on staff. Managers do the best they can with what they are allowed.

I would be surprised if this wasn't, indeed, the case with your lack of service at your visit to Staples.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:47:10 AM EDT
[#12]
That's a rather broad brush to paint with don'tcha think?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

+1  nobody believes in starting at the bottom and working your way up anymore.  I guess they believe that they should just be handed a $50K year job and not work for it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Supermarkets around here seem to exclusively employ hostile and sullen adolescent female cashiers.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:57:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Actually I will admit that I do get great service at the Ace Hardware closest to my house. The recently expanded their store and have all the employees on radios with ear pieces. I went to buy PVC and the door greeter guy radioed ahead so someone would be there to assist me. Someone must have noticed that I had my hands full because the door guy brought me a basket without me asking.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:57:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
 I walked in to a Staples today to buy a new office type chair. 3 cars in the lot, so they weren't busy.  Stand around in the furniture section waiting for someone..... nobody. Walked up front, asked for someone to get a chair  for me.  The woman got on the PA and I walked back to the furniture section. 10 minutes go by... Fuck this...I walk out the door.

Now the good part. I get online to Staples web site, buy the same chair $30 cheaper, they deliver for free and just for fun I used my cash back Amex card to buy it with since they'll charge them more for the transaction.

And my wife wonders why I hate to step foot in any store.

With the experience I'm having w/ Cold Steel it's not just stores.  I'm jousting w/ windmills trying to get a warranty part.  It's been almost 3 months & I've been ignored via email & lied to on the phone.  At this point it's personal.  I'm going to keep hammering at them until I get somebody to send me my F'ing clip.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I will have to wait till I get out of this shit hole (Leesville LA) before I can say yes or no. I talk to a lot of companies on the phone and over email and most of the time I have a good time talking with the person on the other end.

Bank of America is my exception
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:02:16 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought some reprinted books from Lulu and their website said free shipping for $50 orders.  Well, I ordered over $100 books and then the online invoice came back with a shipping charge.  I called and the clerk told me that free shipping was for orders that were $50 but not over that amount.  I told him it was ridiculous for me to have to place three orders to take advantage of it and he said to read the fine print.  I read the fine print and acknowledge that he was right about their policy.

Now that I had him all warm and smug on the phone, I told him to cancel my order and if even if they didn't, that I would put a stop payment on my credit card.  I got a call the next day from them and the woman, his manager I suppose, asked me if I really wanted to cancel my order.  I told her yes and that I had called my credit card company already.  I also added that their website was engaged in unethical practices by hiding that shipping was not free for orders in excess of $50.  She asked me if I would still accept the order if shipping was free.  I told her that I would.  She asked me if I would call the credit card company to lift the stop and I told her that I would lift the stop only up to the price of the books.  She said that was understandable and we agreed on the sale.

Customer service isn't necessarily dead, but you can't let them over run you.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#20]
It's the kids working in the stores. I've stood at the counter at Starbucks listening to the kids bullshit each other for 5 minutes or more and not said a thing. Finally one of the girls came over and asked if she could help us.
I replied "Only if you are finished bullshitting and want to wait on customers now".
She didn't hesitate a moment and replied "Sure I can help you. What would you like?"

They remind me of gov't employees. Nothing is as important as the position they hold and every body else can wait until they are good and ready to do their job.

Most young people have never worried about paying the rent, paying the bills, or feeding their families.

Hopefully, they'll wake up some day.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm in customer service.......

I work for an electrical wholesale warehouse. I'm the counter manager, and have been working the counter for several years. I believe in remembering everybody's name and greeting them by name at least 15 seconds after they walk through the door. If I'm not able to get to that customer in a timely fashion, I get someone up there to help them ASAP.

Sometimes if I have 2 guys walk in at the same time, I'll introduce one guy to the other when I know they have things in common, it sorta buys me time while I pull the first guy's order. Most times I have to wait for them to stop talking to help the next guy.

A lot of times if 2 guys walk in and I know the first one will have a lot of stuff to order I ask them both what they need. Most times when the first customer finds out the guy behind him only needs one thing he'll step aside for a moment and let me get that guy out the door. The first guy knows that I'll do that for him someday, so it's no big deal!

I try to treat every customer with respect. I give everyone a big smile and treat them like I would want to be treated as a customer. If I've never heard of a part that they are looking for, I figure out what it is and how I can get it. Or I send them to where they can buy it. I will call a competitor for a customer even if I've never met the guy and will probably never see him again to find a part for him. No part is too small for me to order, I don't care if all I make is $1 on the sale I will take time out of my day to get it for them! I know my competitors will not do that, so everybody comes to me first now!

When I get all of my customer's material pulled, I take it out to their truck and load it in their vehicle for them. I help them double check the order and make sure they are getting what they need. If I see that he has ordered a bunch of stuff in 1 1/2" and one item in 2", I ask him about it to make sure he didn't mess up. Sometimes he did sometimes he didn't, but having me pay attention like that helps him and may save him time and money. My competitors don't do that!

I'm in a position that allows me to teach what I do and how I do it to younger guys that move into our sales office. They have to go through me to get there, so most of them have worked with me for over a year! I get to see them use my techniques everyday, and it's pretty rewarding. I have been told by a lot of customers that my counter has the best customer service, bar none, in the Anchorage electrical community.

So I'm here to tell you, customer service is not dead. There are people out there that take the time to show their customer that we appreciate their business. Fortunatly for me, my boss is able to pay me for the service that I provide. I think the problem that we are having in America is that people whole actually care about customer service move on quickly and are in the background where we can't see them! My company believes in putting people in a position that best suits them, and paying them for it!

- Clint
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:19:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Most  sales people are just there for the check, they don't care about the company in fact could care less if it goes belly up.
Companies have no loyalty to the employees and employees could give a shit about the company. Thats just they way it became when companies started to treat  employees like tools that could be replaced .
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

But true ones, IMO.

The best CS I run into is from gun related businesses.

I tried to buy a screen cleaner for my laptop once from Office Depot. The sales "lady" tried to sell me one that would've destroyed my screen had I bought & used it...............    
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Supermarkets around here seem to exclusively employ hostile and sullen adolescent female cashiers.

Redundant................    
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

True - but it could use improvement in most places I shop - which is why I like small businesses.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Alaskacajun: Your store is probably a smaller company. You did good.

Quoted:
A lot of times, the problem is the pressure from the corporate level to control expenses and payroll. At the top of many large retail corporations, they consider salaries to be an expense rather than an investment. They see only what they are paying out, not the sales that they can generate with more people on staff. Managers do the best they can with what they are allowed.

I would be surprised if this wasn't, indeed, the case with your lack of service at your visit to Staples.
This is true, especially with the larger chain stores. Corp often monitors the sales per hour, Best Buy and Circuit City comes to my mine.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:30:48 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I will have to wait till I get out of this shit hole (Leesville LA) before I can say yes or no. I talk to a lot of companies on the phone and over email and most of the time I have a good time talking with the person on the other end.

Bank of America is my exception

BOA - I hate those fuckers.  Long story, but a dying relative needed some paperwork and they told me it would be 14 days, not to mention the bad advice I got from them on inherited IRAs and had I not known the law, they could have cost me 70K in taxes.  They make 50% of their profits from fees and are pandering to the illegal alien market.

They are good for one thing - a bad example.  I hate those bastards with a passion and wouldn't but a $10 bill for $8.95 from them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That's a rather broad brush to paint with don'tcha think?

No, it's just another example and happens more often than not (at least to me).

I really doubt that you want me to list every occasion that it's happened.

Online ordering for me when ever possible.

Have you ever considered changing your personal hygiene?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I'm in customer service.......

I work for an electrical wholesale warehouse. I'm the counter manager, and have been working the counter for several years. I believe in remembering everybody's name and greeting them by name at least 15 seconds after they walk through the door. If I'm not able to get to that customer in a timely fashion, I get someone up there to help them ASAP.

Sometimes if I have 2 guys walk in at the same time, I'll introduce one guy to the other when I know they have things in common, it sorta buys me time while I pull the first guy's order. Most times I have to wait for them to stop talking to help the next guy.

A lot of times if 2 guys walk in and I know the first one will have a lot of stuff to order I ask them both what they need. Most times when the first customer finds out the guy behind him only needs one thing he'll step aside for a moment and let me get that guy out the door. The first guy knows that I'll do that for him someday, so it's no big deal!

I try to treat every customer with respect. I give everyone a big smile and treat them like I would want to be treated as a customer. If I've never heard of a part that they are looking for, I figure out what it is and how I can get it. Or I send them to where they can buy it. I will call a competitor for a customer even if I've never met the guy and will probably never see him again to find a part for him. No part is too small for me to order, I don't care if all I make is $1 on the sale I will take time out of my day to get it for them! I know my competitors will not do that, so everybody comes to me first now!

When I get all of my customer's material pulled, I take it out to their truck and load it in their vehicle for them. I help them double check the order and make sure they are getting what they need. If I see that he has ordered a bunch of stuff in 1 1/2" and one item in 2", I ask him about it to make sure he didn't mess up. Sometimes he did sometimes he didn't, but having me pay attention like that helps him and may save him time and money. My competitors don't do that!

I'm in a position that allows me to teach what I do and how I do it to younger guys that move into our sales office. They have to go through me to get there, so most of them have worked with me for over a year! I get to see them use my techniques everyday, and it's pretty rewarding. I have been told by a lot of customers that my counter has the best customer service, bar none, in the Anchorage electrical community.

So I'm here to tell you, customer service is not dead. There are people out there that take the time to show their customer that we appreciate their business. Fortunatly for me, my boss is able to pay me for the service that I provide. I think the problem that we are having in America is that people whole actually care about customer service move on quickly and are in the background where we can't see them! My company believes in putting people in a position that best suits them, and paying them for it!

- Clint

You just answered with my thoughts.
I seek out places that have employees such as yourself.
I have found that when I want a BBQ Grill I got to a specialty store. We have them locally that specialize in Grills, fireplace inserts, etc.
There I find knowledgable people, friendly, and helpful. I also find a place that sells a quality product that I can get repair parts for.
Do I pay more initially, yes I do. Do I save in the long run, yes I do.
I only spend my money where people provide value and make my purchasing experience a good one. Otherwise, I don't go back. It may cost more and that is fine with me.

I work in sales and I can tell you, the biggest obstacle to doing things right and providing the quality of service and value I believe in to my customers, is TODAYS MANAGEMENT and their BOTTOM LINE THINKING!

Do we ever survey our customers, no.
Do we ever have meetings to discuss our customers wants and needs, no.
Do we ever discuss our customers expectations, no.
Seems like an important part of the equation is missing.

I'm old school, I remember the days before WalMart.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:16:34 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
 I walked in to a Staples today to buy a new office type chair. 3 cars in the lot, so they weren't busy.  Stand around in the furniture section waiting for someone..... nobody. Walked up front, asked for someone to get a chair  for me.  The woman got on the PA and I walked back to the furniture section. 10 minutes go by... Fuck this...I walk out the door.

Now the good part. I get online to Staples web site, buy the same chair $30 cheaper, they deliver for free and just for fun I used my cash back Amex card to buy it with since they'll charge them more for the transaction.

And my wife wonders why I hate to step foot in any store.

Nice score.

I try to check out the internet before buys.  Amazing some of the specials and good prices.  The stores do not have to pay for non existent sales help this way.  Also, a lot of tech help for products are bases over seas and I can't understand a word they say.  We are on the down side.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#31]
You can still find good customer service in parts of Minnesota and North Dakota.  And at Disneyworld.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:26:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Went to Burger King yesterday. It took them 35 minutes to make our fucking food. Part of that time was because they had to make me a new burger because the bitch TOOK MY BURGER out of OUR bag of food and gave it to someone in the drive-through.

And then when they made it a second time, they didn't make it right. And were rude the entire time.

Customer service is indeed dead.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#33]
I work phone support and if someone has a problem or I even spot something that might be a problem later I fix it, and will work hard to make sure its fixed.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  nobody believes in starting at the bottom and working your way up anymore.  I guess they believe that they should just be handed a $50K year job and not work for it.

I've worked minimum wage in the fast food industry since I was 16 and do the best job I can. After I graduate from college this December I'm entering training in the national parks service.

Thanks for stereotyping me as some lazy, uneducated slacker though, I don't get nearly enough of that on a daily basis.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:37:03 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I work phone support and if someone has a problem or I even spot something that might be a problem later I fix it, and will work hard to make sure its fixed.

You probably get a lot of respect from customers who subconciously become aware of your jackboots. It helps make them more receptive.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:41:03 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Went to Burger King yesterday. It took them 35 minutes to make our fucking food. Part of that time was because they had to make me a new burger because the bitch TOOK MY BURGER out of OUR bag of food and gave it to someone in the drive-through.

And then when they made it a second time, they didn't make it right. And were rude the entire time.

Customer service is indeed dead.

I work at Burger King. Sure, it sucks when you have to break up a nearly ready order to assemble one in drive thru, but DT gets priority, and that should be obvious to you...most all fast food restaurants have timers on the drive through, and the staff is disciplined if the time is too high. There is also a goal for time at the counter, its usually 3x as high...

When something like that has to happen, I make sure to apologize to the customer and offer something to make up for the extra time, usually an extra french fries or something along those lines...

Ive worked at my BK for 8 months now, and am nearly finished with training to be a manager at my store.

BTW, I make $7.50 an hour, yet am always polite with the customer and do my damndest to make sure they have a positive experience...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#37]
I went into a Subway last night, after the gym with a buddy.

That Particular Subway closes at 10:00pm.

We arrived at 9:20ish.

The punk who worked there was sitting in the customer eating area, on the phone, eating yogurt.
He sat there ON the phone, speaking in a different language (we deduced that it sounded middle eastern) and looked right at me with such contempt, as if I was interrupting his fucking conversation.

It made me so fucking angry, I honestly had no idea what to do at that point.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You probably get a lot of respect from customers who subconciously become aware of your jackboots. It helps make them more receptive.

I sometimes get told I sound mean to people.  

I laid down the law on someone who didnt pay his bill on Thursday, he wont answer his phone when I called, so I disconnected it.  He called me back real quick then
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:20:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Alaskacajun: Your store is probably a smaller company. You did good.

Quoted:

This is true, especially with the larger chain stores. Corp often monitors the sales per hour, Best Buy and Circuit City comes to my mine.

I work for a company that has over 500 stores in the US and many more World Wide. We are a Profit Share based company and it is in our best interest to make money. If our service sux we don't get paid..... I do well financially for what I do, and I enjoy my job!

- Clint
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

yep good commission is the only way to motivate people
that's why you get better service in most slightly upper class stores as opposed to the big ass box stores

That chair would have been $20 more though but you would have got good service
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:33:37 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But true ones, IMO.

same with the fishing tackle businesses
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:19:05 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But true ones, IMO.

same with the fishing tackle businesses

From my experiance you have to deal with the people who enjoy what they are doing and want to be their thats where you get good CS.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:28:15 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
yep good commission is the only way to motivate people
that's why you get better service in most slightly upper class stores as opposed to the big ass box stores

I don't agree with this. Effective leadership is how you motivate people, including those who make the minimum wage. If employees are led properly and are enjoying the work environment that you have created for them, they will make a positive experience for the customer. The amount of money is irrelevant to the quality of the service if the retail establishment is coached properly.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:30:09 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

All over one experience.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:02:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Nope customer service isn't dead..Your shopping in the wrong stores...

Part of the problem, at least in a Corp owned store, is the pay scale... You only have so much money, and so many payroll hrs to work with..

The Manager has to get 40 hrs, the asst mgr has to get 40 hrs..So on down the line...The remaining hrs are split up amongst the worker bees..

The worker bees will work, as long as they are lead and supervised..  Goes back to leadership principals...

I work for a large (400 plus stores nation wide, along with some international stores) retail and catalouge boating supply organization (who shall remain nameless)...  I've been with them for 6 yrs now...  Started there becuase the wife unit got tired of m sailing and taking naps when I wasn't working around the house or working on the boat..

We work for hourly (all except the Mgr and Assit Mgr 1)...  We have limited payroll hrs to work with.. The asst mgr busts his butt to make sure sure we have the right mix on the schedule for getting the job done...  None of us makes any type of commision..Doesn't matter if I seel 60000 ft of line or 20 chartplotters...My paycheck doesn't change unless I work more hrs...

We great every customer that walks in.. The vast majority of them great ya back... We ask everyone of them if they need help finding anything, to include our regulars and commercial customers...  If they say no, then we tell them to holler if they find they do..   Nothing ahrd about any of this..

Oh, even the "kids" we have working there do..Becuase thats what they have been taught and supervised to do...  

Now...having said all of that..You consumers can do something to help all of us out..

If the place is closing in 10-15 mins..KNOW what you want before you drive into the parking lot...  Don't come in, and expect to wander around aimlessly....  Your not making any points with anyone, espcially us or your wife...

If ya wanna "shop", show up in the middle of the day, etc...  AND   if your gonna walk in at the last second before we close the register out, DON'T spend all day looking for that left handed framiss...  Know what ya need, and if you've been out on the voat all day, then had dinner and cpl of beers..Wait till tomorrow  to come in..  You had your fun, and your dinner..Let the working stiffs go home for thiers!

I know, long rant, and you haven't the patience for it...  ;)

Bottom line, a bit of common courtesy works wonders..

And if you don't get the service you need, or expect..Look for the mgr on duty..trust me..We want to know...

Rant out!

Semper Fi
Ed
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:04:44 AM EDT
[#46]
And btw,   our customers leave our "other store" in the area to come shop with us...

Yeah, rant out again..

Semper Fi
Ed
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:10:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Similar experience at 3 local Staples stores.

Absolutely NO customer service.

I do the same thing as you. I go in to see if what I want is okay, then I order it on the web with free shipping.

I treat their store like a self-serve show room.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:10:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Customer service in this country is dead and buried; even at major financial firms.

Try completing a minimally complex transaction with Fidelity Investments.

I've gotten better customer service at Taco Bell.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:19:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Well, at my place of employ, we "strive" for customer service, but, its hard to serve customers in a professional manner (at least it is hard for me) when they are cussing you up and down. spitting at you, throwing stuff at you, exposing themselves to you, throwing up in a cup and then pouring contents in or on your work area.

those are just some of the dirty things customers do around my work place, I lost all my customer service skills about 8 years ago after all this type of treatment
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:21:46 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Those are the best ones in the sack
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top