Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/18/2008 7:20:12 PM EDT
first time i saw it tonite,those guys had guts,hard to belive any of them survived.

"custer was a pussy sir,your not"
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#1]
If you liked the movie, read the book.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:21:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
first time i saw it tonite

IBTB
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1

The book is even more brutal than the movie. The shocker is... there was ANOTHER battle shortly after LZ X-Ray that was twice as bad.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#4]
one of hollywoods best recent(ish) war movies and they even got the gun play right for the most part

"what are you a fucking weather man"
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:25:33 PM EDT
[#5]
"The first one of you that calls me grandpa..."
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
one of hollywoods best recent(ish) war movies and they even got the gun play right for the most part

There was one scene when they were at the river bed.  One soldier is coming up on another then moves to his right.  He completely moves the barrel out of the way so as not to sweep the guys legs.

Excellent movie.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:29:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
first time i saw it tonite,those guys had guts,hard to belive any of them survived.

Four years ago, I saw the movie with Galloway and a bunch of the veterans from the battles (the book covers the events of the extraction that the movie misses). None of them had dry eyes the whole way through. Got my book signed, too. One of the signers was the guy who killed a bunch of VC with his 1911 after his M60 ran out of ammunition during the second battle.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

The book is even more brutal than the movie. The shocker is... there was ANOTHER battle shortly after LZ X-Ray that was twice as bad.

Yeah, the movie only covered HALF of the fight. LZ Albany. The battalion that relieved Hal Moore's was nearly annihilated---literally.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:33:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Excellent movie, and it is how leaders should lead, first one on the battlefield and last one off the battlefield.

I have met the brother of the asian PVT. My Dad brought back a rubbing of his brother's name off The Wall.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You call running around with ejection port covers open, firing from the hip, and everyone firing on auto as getting gun play right?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You call running around with ejection port covers open, firing from the hip, and everyone firing on auto as getting gun play right?

that is why I said for the most part correct read the post a little closer
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#12]
    Personally I hated how they humanized the commie bastard enemy. Let the Vietnamese filmmakers make their guys look all heroic and shit. I want my NVA dead in my Vietnam movies. Not staring at pic's of home and writing letters.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:41:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know your perspective, but when the SHTF, you don't act the same as you do on s bright sunny day at the range.

Full auto and ejection port covers open was the norm.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm gonna burn for this, but that movie was only so-so for me.  Too much like the cheesy war movies of the 50's and 60's.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#15]
"I'm a non-combatant sir!"

"Today there is no such thing boy"
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'm gonna burn for this, but that movie was only so-so for me.  Too much like the cheesy war movies of the 50's and 60's.

Your right, you will burn.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#17]
never saw that one but I saw "we were soldiers"
jk
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know your perspective, but when the SHTF, you don't act the same as you do on s bright sunny day at the range.

+1
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
    Personally I hated how they humanized the commie bastard enemy. Let the Vietnamese filmmakers make their guys look all heroic and shit. I want my NVA dead in my Vietnam movies. Not staring at pic's of home and writing letters.

Knowing that you have to kill the enemy doesn't mean you necessarily think less of him. Those parts of the movie were about showing the respect that warfighters accord one another.

You don't have to agree with someone you respect; you don't have to align yourself with them, either.

You don't have to hate your enemy to kill him to accomplish your goals, you just have to understand your priorities.

"A fool kills for hate. A brute kills for pleasure." ~Robert Heinlein

~BakerMike
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What can I say, I don't like cheese.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I liked the movie
I didn"t have to read it
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:47:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not talking about the covers being open in actual combat. When they're behind the berms waiting for the NVA at night they're still open.

Same with the full auto statement. They use full auto regardless if the enemy is across the rice paddy 200m away or if it's point blank.

I just have a hard time believing that people here think Hollywood is "getting gun play right".
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Four years ago, I saw the movie with Galloway and a bunch of the veterans from the battles (the book covers the events of the extraction that the movie misses). None of them had dry eyes the whole way through. Got my book signed, too. One of the signers was the guy who killed a bunch of VC with his 1911 after his M60 ran out of ammunition during the second battle.

the guy who killed a bunch of VC with his 1911 after his M60 ran out of ammunition.

try that with a glock!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"For the most part" implies that they're doing more good than bad. If you feel that's the case, ok.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:50:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

agreed it was over rated
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"For the most part" implies that they're doing more good than bad. If you feel that's the case, ok.

ejection port cover and selector position would be my LAST two things I would worry about if I was getting shot at

me thinks you are being really anal about hollywood doing things EXACTLY right
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:55:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Have not heard of When we were soldiers. Now We Were Soldiers was an excellent movie. The book was pretty good too.

I also liked the movie "Huey Cobra Down".
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:56:09 PM EDT
[#28]
i liked mel gibsons warm and touching speech before they went to combat otherwise it was a good movie.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:57:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

the guy who killed a bunch of VC with his 1911 after his M60 ran out of ammunition.

try that with a glock!

You'd klll more than 7 before you had to reload.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ejection port cover and selector position would be my LAST two things I would worry about if I was getting shot at

They weren't getting shot at when entrenched in defensive positions waiting for the enemy.

I am very anal about attention to detail in movies, but I don't expect them to do everything exactly right. I just notice the inaccuracies and wonder why such simple things couldn't be fixed?

Just my pet peeve.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:01:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
i liked mel gibsons warm and touching speech before they went to combat otherwise it was a good movie.

I liked how Mel Gibson spent more time shooting, going out to recover dead, and breaking down in front of his men than to lead. That, and his uncanny 6th sense that tells him a NVA soldier is bayonet charging him and to shoot from the hip at the last second for a headshot. And the fact that the NVA solider just didn't shoot Mel Gibson.

But that's Hollywood.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

try that with a glock!

yea! as a hand grenade!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Sam, Mel and Chris were good dudes.

The family with Sam Elliot
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They weren't getting shot at when entrenched in defensive positions waiting for the enemy.

I am very anal about attention to detail in movies, but I don't expect them to do everything exactly right. I just notice the inaccuracies and wonder why such simple things couldn't be fixed?

Just my pet peeve.

lol, I guess you were there and saw how it was really done "back in the day"
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#35]
I read the book cover to cover and then promptly started over.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just my pet peeve.

I never implied that. I'm stating common knowledge which prevents a M-16 from jamming in adverse conditions. I'm entitled to my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't watch To Hell and Back, it starred this baby-faced Texan  who wipes out a Nazi machine gun nest while shooting a M1 Garand from the hip and wipes out an entire company single handed with a Ma Deuce  ... what was Hollywood thinking...gosh you would think they could make up a better story line /actor than that...Like maybe get the most decorated GI in WWII to play the part.... OH wait  they did... on his 19th birthday that Texan, Audie Murphy received The Congressional Medal of Honor
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just my pet peeve.

I never implied that. I'm stating common knowledge which prevents a M-16 from jamming in adverse conditions. I'm entitled to my opinion.

Common knowledge now. Not then. Remember, this was when the M16 was the new wonder weapon that never needed cleaning.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#39]
That is a hell of a good movie
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:09:00 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just my pet peeve.

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion but I'm also entitled to laugh at it, if I like.

Nothing personal some things just strike me funny
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

try that with a glock!

yea! as a hand grenade!

Damn.  Beat me to it.  I was going to say "Just draw and throw it in the middle of them"
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Good movie.

<----------

I just hated that song with the Irish Tenor that ran through the whole movie.  For god's sake spend a little on a decent sound track.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:24:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Good movie IMO. I think Dale Dye did the actors training. I think they went out and fired real weapons to train (haven't watched the DVD special features in a while...).
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:25:43 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Makes it easier, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:25:43 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

[Jim Gaffigan] You know what I liked about the movie? NO READING. Took me a about 2 hours. [/Jim Gaffigan]

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:28:53 PM EDT
[#48]
The gunplay ruined the movie for me too, especially next to Blackhawk Down which came out around the same time.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:39:44 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, everyone knows that American soldiers in Vietnam were a bunch of druggies, rapists, constantly killing each other and smoking pot.

Oliver Stone said so
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:58:27 PM EDT
[#50]
That movie is one of the finest God Damn films the youngsters on Ar-15 will ever see.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top