Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2008 10:09:34 AM EDT
This is a cross post from the precision forum, but it's not getting as much traffic as I had hoped.  So, I'm posting it here.  In addition to what I asked there, I'd like to also ask which one you like more, ergonomics, action etc.  If you vote other, please say why, and any input would be helpful.  I had planned on a savage 111FCNS, but heard about Tikka and checked them out (online only), and now have no clue what I want.

Original post: http://www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=5&t=248961
Which is a more inherently accurate rifle? Stock, out of the box. Savage Hunter series, or a Tikka T3? They're both around the same price.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Vanguard.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Vanguard.

That'd probably be a pretty wise investment.

Couldn't find it on their website.  Do they have a free-floating barrel?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Vanguard.

This.  

To be fair, mine has a new stock, and I bedded the action.  Never heard of one from the factory that wouldn't shoot though, and they aren't very expensive ($379 locally).  

Quoted:
Couldn't find it on their website.  Do they have a free-floating barrel?

LINKY

Barrel isn't floated in it's factory configuration, instead it's setup with a pressure point on the barrel a few Inches from the end of the fore end.  Mine above has been floated in the laminate stock.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#4]
T3 FTW!!!!!

Even better if you can find and older 595 or TRG.

I have sold probably 70 Tikka 595's without a single customer coming back in and Raving about the accuracy. Several shot sub .5MOA out of the box with factory ammo.

I own 3 Tikka rifles. All three shoot sub MOA or better, and all I have done is tune the trigger, and break in the barrels after boiling them out.

But the TRG.... I have several loads that shoot in the .3's and .4's.

Damn shame they discontinued it.

Savage out of the box ain't no slouch either.

But the Tikka seems to be more consistently accurate Out of the box.

Aftermarket support for the Savage is better though.

S-28
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
T3 FTW!!!!!

I have sold probably 70 Tikka 595's without a single customer coming back in and Raving about the accuracy. Several shot sub .5MOA out of the box with factory ammo.

I own 3 Tikka rifles. All three shoot sub MOA or better, and all I have done is tune the trigger, and break in the barrels after boiling them out.

S-28

+1

When I bought my 595 in .223, I boresighted it, fired ONE shot at 50 yards, moved out to 200....and it's 2nd, 3rd, and 4th shots went into .5" at 200 yards, with black hills 55gr fmj blue-box.

With the only handload I ever tried in it (55 gr v-max, LC brass, CCI BR primer, and a charge of Varget I don't remember) it will group in the sub - .2 range at 100 yards, and I've shot sub - 1" groups at 300 with that load.

I really regret not buying more 595's when there readily available.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Vanguard.

Made in Japen junk.

Tikka T3 FTW.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:09:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
T3 FTW!!!!!

S-28

+1

When I bought my 595 in .223, I boresighted it, fired ONE shot at 50 yards, moved out to 200....and it's 2nd, 3rd, and 4th shots went into .5" at 200 yards, with black hills 55gr fmj blue-box.

With the only handload I ever tried in it (55 gr v-max, LC brass, CCI BR primer, and a charge of Varget I don't remember) it will group in the sub - .2 range at 100 yards, and I've shot sub - 1" groups at 300 with that load.

I really regret not buying more 595's when there readily available.

Same regret. I'm a south paw, and the 595 LH rifles are rare as hell now on the used market. Berretta rarely imports the LH T3.

The old Battue' in LH is as scarce as hens teeth, and I sold 3 before I figured to get one, by then......importation was discontinued.

Just like "Aug angst" and "FNC regrets".

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.......Damn.

S-28

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Vanguard.

Made in Japen junk.

Tikka T3 FTW.

Vanguards/Howas are considered of the best factory actions out there by gunsmiths.  Huge built in recoil lug is part of that, but also just built very well, and very strong.  

And the barrels don't blow up spontaneously.  

Add in that Tikka is owned by Beretta, and, well, let's hope you never need service.  How much are those crappy plastic detachable magazines again?  

ETA:

Between the Tikka and the Savage, I would take the Savage, and get a new stock.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just like "Aug angst" and "FNC regrets".

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.......Damn.

S-28

I'd buy a T3 if they'd make them with short actions. I just don't like the idea of a short cartridge in a long action.

(I haven't looked at one since they first came out - they're all still long actions, right? )

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
*snip*

Which would you choose between the Savage and Vanguard?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#11]
It's the man behind the trigger and nothing else.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
*snip*

Which would you choose between the Savage and Vanguard?

That depends on a few variables.  If weight was a primary concern, than I would go for the Savage.  

Both have adjustable triggers, some don't like the accu-trigger, and some don't like that the Vanguard won't drop to 3#.  

I like the Vanguard bolt better, and I like that the Vanguard takes Rem. 700 scope mounts.  I like the huge recoil lug thats built into the receiver.  

Vanguard *might* have an advantage in long term reliability, but I wouldn't worry about either.  

As showed, my Vanguard shoots pretty well.  My Savage MKII (.22lr) isn't too shabby either.  

Note no crappy synthetic stock:

It does wear a different scope now.  

Quoted:
It's the man behind the trigger and nothing else.

I can't argue with this man.  

Differences in the rifles won't nearly be as important as the skills of the rifleman.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Tikka whitetail hunter stainless with laminate stock.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g149/trapper72/HPIM0298.jpg
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Bump for more opinions.  Sounds like the Tikka or Vanguard are going to be the best bet.  Darn, I liked the savage.  I guess holding them will be the final test.  Are all 3 pretty much the same as far as reliability and quality?  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Bump for more opinions.  Sounds like the Tikka or Vanguard are going to be the best bet.  Darn, I liked the savage.

Sounds like you have your answer right there.    Who cares what we think, get the one you like best.  

Quoted:
I guess holding them will be the final test.  Are all 3 pretty much the same as far as reliability and quality?  

Lot's of reports of Tikka's breaking parts, some reports of Savage's breaking parts, and I haven't heard anything about Vanguards breaking parts.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#16]
The Tikka is a great firearm but for the price it's really, really, hard to beat a Savage.  They are flat-out the bargain accurate rifle going.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bump for more opinions.  Sounds like the Tikka or Vanguard are going to be the best bet.  Darn, I liked the savage.

Sounds like you have your answer right there.    Who cares what we think, get the one you like best.  

Quoted:
I guess holding them will be the final test.  Are all 3 pretty much the same as far as reliability and quality?  

Lot's of reports of Tikka's breaking parts, some reports of Savage's breaking parts, and I haven't heard anything about Vanguards breaking parts.  

That's the problem, I had my mind made up for months, and then I read something about Tikka in the Safari section I believe.  Started looking at them, and liked what I saw, so I posted this.  Now I'm looking at the vanguards as well since they also look nice and well made.  That's what I get for coming to this place .  Completely confused now.  This will likely be the only "nice" rifle I can buy for at least 5-6 years, so I want a good one.  Problem is I am on a very tight budget (I'd like to stay below $600 for the rifle).  I can only do about $240 a month towards guns right now, and once school starts again, that $ has to go towards that until next summer.  I just want to make sure I get the best quality, most accurate budget rifle I can.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#18]
For price?  Savage

ergonomics?  Tikka maybe a bit above Vanguard

reliability?  Vanguard equal with savage, a bit better than tikka

Accuracy?  tossup

Snob factor? vanguard a bit above tikka

Had all three......

SRM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top