Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2008 8:02:36 PM EDT
Lately I've been getting more and more into inshore kayak fishing, mostly for specks, white trout, flounder, and red fish....
The other day I caught a nice red who took me for a ride. Probably pulled me about 75 yards before wearing himself out. I was going to release it but my friend wanted to keep it so he attached it to a stringer attached to his kayak....Perfect snack for a small shark (~4 feet)who came up and gnawed on it, nearly capsizing his kayak.

Didn't catch much else besides white trout, another red and a couple flounder, along with some under sized specks.

Saw a 6-7 foot gator from about 150 yds away, I watched him for awhile but as soon as he noticed me he submerged..... I'd rather be able to see them.......
Hopefully I'll add more pics of fish after this weekend
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Redfish slabs on the BBQ pit, basted with butter, garlic and red pepper!

Cool pics.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:24:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Redfish slabs on the BBQ pit, basted with butter, garlic and red pepper!

Cool pics.
Sadly the stringer was left unattended at the launch site in water and dissappeared. I think one of the reds(not mine) was still alive enough to swim away with a stringer full of reds and flounder attached to him!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:53:16 AM EDT
[#4]
While on vacation in Boca Grande, FL last year, I got to watch a tarpon become a snack for a hammerhead.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#5]
haha pretty cool
im just glad the stringer wasn't attached to me
i have a thing about sharks
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#6]

378lb bull, took 2nd place in the rodeo...didnt catch the fish just friend of the guy who did...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Is that a gay pride banner in the grass behind your head in the first pic?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#8]
That little red towed you in the Kayak? Or was this with the shark pulling? The latter I can believe. My 40"er could tow, but he is better off back in the water. Anything over 25" is nasty to eat IMO.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:10:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Is that a gay pride banner in the grass behind your head in the first pic?
im reppin even when i fish

No it was a floatie thing that blew up there
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
That little red towed you in the Kayak? Or was this with the shark pulling? The latter I can believe. My 40"er could tow, but he is better off back in the water. Anything over 25" is nasty to eat IMO.
Yeah he pulled me about 75 yards haha My kayak is real narrow though, not hard for a fish to pull. Big specks have jerked me around too.

I wanted to let him go, friend wanted to eat him, went on friends stringer.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Tell me about that little kayak you're in.  I like it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
While on vacation in Boca Grande, FL last year, I got to watch a tarpon become a snack for a hammerhead.

i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc181/Sturmgewehr-58/tarpon2.jpg
i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc181/Sturmgewehr-58/tarpon3.jpg

too cool!  My family went to Boca Grande in 2001 for a charter trip.  I caught a 133 lb tarpon, and we watched a 14' (estimated) hammerhead tear up a wounded/overplayed tarpon on the way back.....I pretty much stick to fresh water now.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Same here, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here, I'm looking for one to fish out of occasionally and kayak with it a lot also.
Its a discontinued model, a 12 ft necky gannet. I have 3 of them. I'm looking to upgrade to a better fishing kayak (rod holders, sit on top, more stable) But they sure are nice little yaks. Fast and fairly stable, great for the bays, rivers, and lakes- but not stable enough for me to fish in the gulf with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top