Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2008 2:34:16 PM EDT
Is this 'criminal'?

During the state HS championship, a catcher intentionally ducked a pitch to allow it to hit the umpire. The team was upset with some of the calls.

Link includes video.......
wsbradio.com/news/060208baseballthrow.html

(WSB Radio) -- The umpire who was hit during a championship baseball game in Stephens County is cautiously reacting to the incident. David Scott told Channel Two Action News, "It came as a surprise, disbelief more than anything. I'd say the video pretty much speaks for itself. Other than that, I really don't have anything to say about it. I'm currently under a doctor's care and still waiting for all the results to be evaluated."

Scott's attorney says they're waiting for that medical evaluation to determine if they will take any legal action.

Earlier this week, the Georgia High School Association levied a $1,000 fine against the Stephens County high school and put the school's athletics program on severe warning status.

Stephens County Principal David Friend called the punishment "fair" and said he was very disappointed in his players’ behavior in the championship game.

The catcher in the incident, Matt Hill, had been invited to walk on for the Gordon College baseball team. The coach of that team has since rescinded the offer.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#1]
They're making too much out of it

but

the catcher is a dickhead.

talk about poor sportsmanship

is the ump supposed to get beaned every time a team starts losing?

If the catcher does not understand that america is crawling with scummy lawyers, and everyone has to cover his ass legally, looks like this is his big chance to learn

that's why they rescinded the scholarship
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:53:20 PM EDT
[#2]
msn.foxsports.com/other/story/8213140/Georgia-high-school-fined-after-ump-is-hit-by-pitch#

The Georgia High School Association has fined a school $1,000 for an incident in the state playoffs last weekend in Cartersville, Ga.

In the fourth inning of Saturday's deciding game of the Class AAA championship series, Stephens County catcher Matt Hill ducked and did not attempt to catch a pitch that struck the home plate umpire, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

Stephens coach Mark Gosnell said Hill and pitcher Cody Martin denied plotting to hit the umpire, who was not hurt, and said the passed ball during a 13-1 loss to Cartersville was a result of a signaling mix-up.

But GHSA executive director Ralph Swearngin believed otherwise after viewing video of the play.

"I made my decision primarily by watching whether the catcher tracked the pitch with his eyes," he told the paper. "In my opinion, he did not. I think that he would have been searching for the ball if it were a matter of being crossed up."

Stephens County principal David Friend said he thought the ruling, which included placing the baseball program on "severe warning status," was fair.

"I told (Swearngin) that I thought we deserved it," Friend said. "We had the opportunity to be on a big stage, in a state championship series, and we had several players who didn't represent school way I think they should have. Not just that pitch, but the overall behavior."

In the half inning prior to the beaning, shortstop Ethan Martin argued with the plate umpire and threw his helmet after becoming the ninth straight Stephens batter to strike out.

Two batters later, Cody Martin, Ethan's younger brother, threw the pitch that hit the umpire. Hill, the catcher, dropped to his knees and ducked as the ball approached.

As part of the penalty, Gosnell and his assistants must complete a sportsmanship education program.

CHIME IN: Was it criminal?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top