Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2008 6:07:46 PM EDT
on another thread I see people all worked up over GI 1911A1's and I saw lots of Remington-Rand's but Ive got to ask what is a very good to excellent 1911A1 Ithaca worth?
How many were made?
I have one, it has those dark brown hard plastic grips (checkered), and has the original finish
My dad picked it up in 1975 for about 150 bucks. I've shot it a few times over the years but now it remains tucked away.
Whats the skinny on rarity?
thanks
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#1]
$1500 - $2000

not very rare
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, a nice investment, I believe I will hang onto it and will it on down the family line!
Geeeeezzzz, I remember in the early to mid seventies, before gunshows where commercialized, you could find GI 45's everywhere...funny thing orginal carbines and Garands that were un-cut were rare, but that all went away when importation was relaxed. It you found a garand in the 70's it was either cut and rewelded or post war production... by folks like National ordanance
Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:26:22 PM EDT
[#3]
He's bullshitting you.  Those things depreciate like a house trailer with termites. I'll give you $50 for it and I'm doing you a favor. You pay shipping.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends if the parts are correct..............All correct worth far more then one that has incorrect parts on it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#5]
in before someone says they were issued a Singer and threw it away in Nam when they got out.

ETA did have a customer bring in what appeared to be a  North American Arms 1911. My boss was going to take int in trade but was coming up to me like "We dont want some POS like this do we?" He about crapped when he saw my eyes light up when I stole him away from the customer and showed him the blue book value. Was it real? I will never know. The slide sure as hell looked like it was. The gun was not 100% but then again there was never a 100% firearms from them delivered to the US. Just tool room samples.  The guy on the phone from the NRA was talking to me about it and the roll marks were how he described they should be. The guy never tried to pass it off as a real one and really didn't seem like he knew what he had. I was going to offer $500 towards the trade but my boss got to him first and offered him 1k. Well that made the guy realize it was worth something so he decided to keep it.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#6]
What is upsetting to me is I was a Military Policeman and then later a unit Armorer in the late 70s and early 80s. I remember all these barrel shaped racks with dozens of 1911A1s all the way around them. A GI issue .45 was as common as a hangover after a platoon party...now you need a second mortgage on the house to buy one.

I'd love to have an old arms room .45 for old times sake, but I'm not selling the bike for it!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
in before someone says they were issued a Singer and threw it away in Nam when they got out.

ETA did have a customer bring in what appeared to be a  North American Arms 1911. My boss was going to take int in trade but was coming up to me like "We dont want some POS like this do we?" He about crapped when he saw my eyes light up when I stole him away from the customer and showed him the blue book value. Was it real? I will never know. The slide sure as hell looked like it was. The gun was not 100% but then again there was never a 100% firearms from them delivered to the US. Just tool room samples.  The guy on the phone from the NRA was talking to me about it and the roll marks were how he described they should be. The guy never tried to pass it off as a real one and really didn't seem like he knew what he had. I was going to offer $500 towards the trade but my boss got to him first and offered him 1k. Well that made the guy realize it was worth something so he decided to keep it.  

there was an article in the most recent american rifleman that said those are the most forged/faked type of 1911.

and on the Ithaca's.  my gun shop had one that looked like it spent the last 10 years underwater.  $1300.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#8]

A classic never goes out of style.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

there was an article in the most recent american rifleman that said those are the most forged/faked type of 1911.

and on the Ithaca's.  my gun shop had one that looked like it spent the last 10 years underwater.  $1300.

It most certainly could have been. Honestly though, its the only one I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:08:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Weapons/DSC00750.jpg

You got the worng kind of ammo for your pistol, mister.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Weapons/DSC00750.jpg

Goddamn,that's beautiful!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I remember buying a GI issue 1911A1 for $50 in the early 70's, boy how things have changed!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I love my 1945 Colt Slide/RR frame war trophy/Bringback ! More than my 1983 M59/66A1 and as MUCH AS MY WASR 22 ...
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:20:42 PM EDT
[#14]
1945 Ithaca and 1941 Colt.

Still have PW and box with the Ithica.

Note the difference between parking on the Colt and Du-lite on the Ithaca.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top