Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2008 3:59:21 PM EDT
i had all laser lasik surgery yesterday...im finally able to see and wont have to wear glasses again on deployments.

so anyone who has also had lasik have any bad experiences a while past the surgery?  things seem a little too good to be true with this, im never that lucky.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#1]
did you get it done at Winn Army Comunity Hospital?

I dropped off my packet to do the same today.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:01:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Your vision is supposed to be excellent immediately after surgery and then get steadily worse over the course of the next couple of days, eventually settling into the vision you'll have for the next few years.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:01:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to work with a guy that went blind after a few months of having it done.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:03:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I had it done.  7 years in.  Zero issues.  Would do it again given the option.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:11:24 PM EDT
[#5]
so far so good- mine was blurry at first then cleard up- right eye is not perfect (prob 20/25)but pretty darn good.
seems to have affected my night vision some - do said it *may* clear up...

mine also hurt like a bee-otch.  even with drops and valium.

It is nice not having contacts anymore.

Worth $3200?...meh...

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#6]
A year ago in May. My opinion is take a good multivitamin and stuff particularly for the eyes. Plenty of water. Avoid doing things that can injure the eye for a few months. Such as Raquetball, cutting the grass, if you exercise buy sweatbands for the wrists. Think of anything that may make you accidentally rub your eyes and modify your behavior. You'll be just fine and congratulations. Word of advise: you'll find the more properly hydrated you are the crisper the vision. ( I'm serious!)
Misc
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
did you get it done at Winn Army Comunity Hospital?

I dropped off my packet to do the same today.

yeah right...ive been "on the list" for years....im at benning anyway.  i paid for it.  I was at the point where i had destroyed all my glasses in iraq and was not about to buy new ones, nor was i going back to iraq ever again with glasses.

my unit even gave the same old song and dance they always have about guys getting lasik this summer, but since im switching MOS's they wont even consider me anymore.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#8]
8 years and counting here.  I'd do it again in a heart beat.  The most noticeable side effect for me was/is "haloing" around lights at night (headlights mostly) but that has faded over time.  Take it easy for a few weeks and keep your hands out of your eyes.
cheers
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Your vision is supposed to be excellent immediately after surgery and then get steadily worse over the course of the next couple of days, eventually settling into the vision you'll have for the next few years.

Incorrect. It fluctuates for a few weeks. Some days are bad, some are good.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#10]
My eyes fell out.

Twice.

Then an airplane dropped a poopsicle on my house.

Never again.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:43:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Again I'm a firm believer in what I previously posted. Several folks I spoke with talked about the halos and the bad days lasting some months. I had the same issues but to a much minor degree due to hydration, supplement regiment, and proper eating. God, you spent good money on the surgery! Ok, I'm done!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I had PRK, and the first day my vision was perfect.

Next day my vision went to crap and stayed that way for 7 days.

The pain only lasted for 4 days. drops and drugs helped me survive.

On the 8th day my left eye wouldnt heal, so the filled it with eye meds and patched it.

2 days later the patch came off and my visions was great.

Issues after that was:

light sensitivity for a month and dry eyes for a few months.

I have 20/15 vision and have had no issues in 5 yrs.

FREE
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Yea the Army did my surgery for free.

What are the Halos everybody talks about?

FREE

Quoted:
Again I'm a firm believer in what I previously posted. Several folks I spoke with talked about the halos and the bad days lasting some months. I had the same issues but to a much minor degree due to hydration, supplement regiment, and proper eating. God, you spent good money on the surgery! Ok, I'm done!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:54:07 PM EDT
[#14]
You DON'T want to know my horror story of developing keratoectasia six years post-op. When it goes bad, it goes really bad.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Did you have lasic or PRK?

My Doc told me the only issues was I would need reading glassis when I get 45-48 yrs old.

FREE

Quoted:
You DON'T want to know my horror story of developing keratoectasia six years post-op. When it goes bad, it goes really bad.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

apparantly everyone in the army gets this shit free but my unit...i wanted to pay myself before we deloyed but my COC wouldnt let me...man I wish I had, glasses in Iraq are a serious no-go. from discomfort when wearing CVC's and humvee headsets, to getting blasted by sand as a humvee gunner, to being drenched in sweat to where i cant see shit....ill never do that again.  theres nothing better than kicking in a door and your glasses fog up from the humidity inside the house, or trying to wipe enough sweat off my lenses to find a shooter through my acog.

I paid $3200 yesterday just because I really wanted it done and dont want to go to EOD school wearing masks and whatnot wearing glasses. well, that and the lenses on every single paid of glasses I had were literally sandblasted during the deployment.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Did you have lasic or PRK?

My Doc told me the only issues was I would need reading glassis when I get 45-48 yrs old.

FREE

Quoted:

LASIK
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

apparantly everyone in the army gets this shit free but my unit...i wanted to pay myself before we deloyed but my COC wouldnt let me...man I wish I had, glasses in Iraq are a serious no-go. from discomfort when wearing CVC's and humvee headsets, to getting blasted by sand as a humvee gunner, to being drenched in sweat to where i cant see shit....ill never do that again.  theres nothing better than kicking in a door and your glasses fog up from the humidity inside the house, or trying to wipe enough sweat off my lenses to find a shooter through my acog.

I paid $3200 yesterday just because I really wanted it done and dont want to go to EOD school wearing masks and whatnot wearing glasses. well, that and the lenses on every single paid of glasses I had were literally sandblasted during the deployment.

I'm having to pull a few strings to get it done.  Hopefully it will happen.  Working in the hospital helps.  I had our dept head (Full bird) talk to the Doc in the eye care center.  Otherwise I would probably be fucked too.  Hopefully I will get it soon.  Glasses suck and I hate wearing contacts.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:09:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What are the Halos everybody talks about?

FREE

Quoted:

Any kind of light at night such as lamp post lights, street lights. There will essentially be a halo around the light  for a couple of months before it subsides or the side effect will remain to a lesser degree. This varies from person to person. It should be in the literature about lasik or ask the doctor's assistants about it. I asked people who had the procedure done and this is why I came to the conclusion that taking a multivitimin could offset this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top