Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2008 11:44:12 AM EDT
Story

This is at my sister's house.  She lives against a small wodlot that connects with more woodlots.  Five years ago a small flock of 4 birds started visiting her neighbor who keeps domestic geese.  Anyway the four dwindled to 2, a hen and this tom.  The hen was killed on her nest by a fox.  So the tom has been a regular resident of my sister's yard and her neighbor.  he roost on my sis's roof at night or the tree in her yard.  he's a really nice looking bird but he's a bit agressive this time of year.  last week i pulled on to her road to see four uniformed police officers trying to shoo him from the roadway.  it was fucking hillarious watching four grown men get chased by a turkey!  I walked up, gave the bird a stern swat on the head and he ran back to my sisters yard.

He regularly chases the mailman, and anyine else who is ignorant enough to fear a turkey.  Now I know he has some big spurs and he does peck.  His pecks are nothing but his spurs are about 2" long and could hurt but he's very tame.  He eats from my hand.

Sis is moving this week and the new residents is afraid of him.  The police are tired of chasing him off of the road.  I am afraid he is gonna end up killed by neighborhood kids or someone else..  I think Im gonna toss a blanket over him and put him in the dog kennel and take him to a farm where I know there is a population of wild birds..

I just cant get over how sissy city people get scared by a bird..

UPDATE!

It seems the pesky bird flogged an old woman and scared a small child so the local PD took him down, my sister's dog is okay.  My sisiter is really upset since she basically raised it from a poult.  She said they cornered him between two patrl cars and lit him up like he was AL Capone.  She is an animal lover but I do see the whole ordeal as pathetic and comical.  City people cowering over a Thanksgiving dinner!  City people are such pussies..  Had I known the PD was gonna shoot him, I would have done it first and cooked his ass.  Nice bird, I figure about 20lbs or so, beard that dragged on the ground..  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Turkeys make decent pets, Wild turkeys make great kabobs to, you might have an opportunity to try them .

If you don't want to move it yourself call the DNR, they'll probably relocate it for you.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:14:14 AM EDT
[#2]
bump!
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
bump!

Maybe your story just wasn't that cool or interesting.

Pretty sad you had to "bump" it yourself after nearly 18 hours and only a single reply.

I award you:

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:12:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
bump!

Maybe your story just wasn't that cool or interesting.

Pretty sad you had to "bump" it yourself after nearly 18 hours and only a single reply.

I award you:

weblogs.elearning.ubc.ca/vschools/fail.jpg

Lol!

I agree!
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:24:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Actually, I found this harrowing tale of "Nature Gone Wild" or "Turkey v. the JBTs" to be thrilling, tragic, and an all around rip roaring good tale. Could have a bit more sex to spice it up a little, but all in all an action packed adventure with an interesting cast. Plus, the "feathered innocence gone bad" angle presents more than a few philosophical and/or ethical points to ponder.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:34:17 AM EDT
[#6]
no need to shoot it, a decent wack to the head would of done the job.

Btw, I have a buddy who has a small flock of turkeys that live around his property.  They are nto to bad until the toms try to attack cars that are driving by.  They will jump on top and scratch the crap out of them.  They are going to cause a wreck one of these days.  

During mating season the toms really lose thier minds.  They will bow up on anything that moves.  Its kind of funny to watch a tom get pissed at a moving car, then try to take it down when it parks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top