Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2008 8:49:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:50:01 AM EDT
[#1]
It's fine unless your mag/magwell blows up into your hand.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:51:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Is this a God awful practice?

If it is, I'm just as guilty.

I say screw it, it ain't.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#3]
It's the same thing I do. <shrug>
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Shoot how ever you want
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I do it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:51:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I've seen alot of people do it this way.  It makes the rifle too front heavy for my tastes though.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Have seen thousands of GI's do this over the course of 40 years. Cant be that big a deal.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:52:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Thats how I do it.

Never liked the vertical grip no matter how high speed people think it is.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:52:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I do it as well, whetever works as long as you are putting lead down range and on target
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:54:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am not a fan of verticle foregrips since they still attach too far forward for my tastes.  Instead I support the rifle with my offhand by gripping the front and side of the magwell - not the magazine itself.  Basically what I do is use my index and middle finger to support the rifle by wrapping around the magwell.  The other two fingers either lightly touch the magazine or basically hang relatively free if that makes sense.  I find this comfortable, the rifle handles well... it seems to work for me.  Is this a God awful practice?

This topic has been beat to death here multiple times.  For the most part the end conclusion is that it is not that bad, but if you do have a bad KB your pinky and ring finger might be a bit sore/missing chunks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:54:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Ive done it.

I will do it in the future.

But I try not to when I think about it.  Especially after seeing a rifle shred recievers, split a mag well, and blow chunks of mag, and the rounds in the mag, to hell and back.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:54:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've seen alot of people do it this way.  It makes the rifle too front heavy for my tastes though.

It does make it front heavy on a rifle. A carbine seems to be better.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#13]

I do it as well.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I am not a fan of verticle foregrips since they still attach too far forward for my tastes.  Instead I support the rifle with my offhand by gripping the front and side of the magwell - not the magazine itself.  Basically what I do is use my index and middle finger to support the rifle by wrapping around the magwell.  The other two fingers either lightly touch the magazine or basically hang relatively free if that makes sense.  I find this comfortable, the rifle handles well... it seems to work for me.  Is this a God awful practice?

Fine until you are about 100+ rounds into it and your hands starts to get hot.

Putting your arm way out is not comfortable for long periods of time, good thing about the AR is that you can put that grip real far back on your rail and it won't interfere with changing mags like it would on an AK.  But if you shooting for an extended period of time it's going to get real hot at the forward part of your upper receiver.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:01:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Seems awkward and less stable to me, but it looks like I'm in the minority.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:03:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Its fine, heck some lowers are being made with "stipiling" on the front side of the lower to accomodate a better grip for folks using this type of front hold...I would recomend wearing gloves with a hold like that though.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:08:06 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Seems awkward and less stable to me, but it looks like I'm in the minority.

I agree
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:08:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Ive done it.

But I try not to when I think about it.  Especially after seeing a rifle shred recievers, split a mag well, and blow chunks of mag, and the rounds in the mag, to hell and back.

But if the barrel goes south like some of the M4 barrels did when they overheated....you still risk digit damage. I would worry about it unduly....
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I would say that as long your not death gripping the mag itself there shouldn't be an issue.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:10:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:14:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Here's some encouragement not to

I still do it though.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#22]
I prefer VFGs, but as long as you are holding the magwell and not the mag it shouldn't affect function.

I would be worried more about a KB.

However I set up one of my rifles in this manner last night, surefire M3 on the bottom rail mounted pretty far back (it is about as long as the carbine handguard), magwell grip, just push my index knuckle forward and the light activates...pretty nifty
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:17:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Here's some encouragement not to

I still do it though.

Looks like bad ammo....should have stopped at the start of that problem. I 'm not a big fan of the forward assist for that reason.......if the bolt doesn't close you have a problem.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#24]
That's basically how I was taught to hold an AR-15, to avoid vertical "stringing" caused by inconsistent bending of the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:19:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I do it, just not all the time though. With my 16" midlength (M4 profile) I hold onto the handguard, on my 16" carbine (superlight) I hold the magwell sometimes.

I only hold it by the well if I am shooting righthanded.  If shooting lefty I always hold the handguard. I like to shoot left most of the time just because it is not as natural and I would like to make it so that it is.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:23:23 AM EDT
[#27]
It seems to me that on my 20" HBAR rifle, the little bend between the magwell and the delta ring is right around the balance point of the rifle.  I tend to hold there, but I don't grip the magazine however.

Sometimes it is comfortable to balance the rifle there, and it seems to make plinking easier and more comfortable.  If I am shooting for accuracy, I can't hold it there however.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ive done it.

But if the barrel goes south like some of the M4 barrels did when they overheated....you still risk digit damage. I would worry about it unduly....

I dont worry about a kaboom when I pull the trigger, but I still wear eye protection.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
That's basically how I was taught to hold an AR-15, to avoid vertical "stringing" caused by inconsistent bending of the barrel.

what?!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ive done it.

I dont worry about a kaboom when I pull the trigger, but I still wear eye protection.

I've only had one go boom on me.....a friends Sten gun running surplus ammo. Half way through a magazine and it squibed and stuck one half way down the barrel. Didn't hurt the receiver, but spllt the barrel right in front of the handguard.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#31]
I trained that way when I was active and didnt have a grip on my M4.

/shrug
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top