Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2008 12:27:55 AM EDT
'Cushy' prisons see dozens trying to break in
By Robert Winnett and Christopher Hope
Last Updated: 12:50AM BST 04/06/2008

Tens of thousands of prisoners are opting not to apply for early release amid allegations that Britain's prisons are now so comfortable that they are effectively "expensive bed and breakfasts".

The figures were released on Tuesday by Jack Straw, the Justice Secretary, who also disclosed that dozens of people have been caught trying to break into prisons over the past few years.

The news was seized upon by the Conservatives who described the mismanagement of prisons by Labour as "ludicrous".

Shadow ministers claim that the figures provide the first hard evidence that prisons are now so "cushy" that people would rather stay in prison than be free.

The latest figures show that 37,000 inmates eligible to be released early declined to apply for the perk between 1999 and 2006.

Between 2003 and 2008, 42 individuals were detected attempting to break into prisons. The number of prison break-ins has increased from five in 2003-04 to 19 over the past year. Most were people breaking into open prisons.

Nick Herbert, the shadow justice secretary, said: "Labour's mismanagement of prisons is descending from tragedy to farce. How secure are our jails if criminals can break into them? Whether these are offenders trying to return to jail, as prison officers have alleged, or dealers trying to traffic drugs, it is ludicrous that supposedly secure establishments can be breached in this way."

On Wednesday, the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) will call on ministers to improve prison rehabilitation programmes – with the help of the private sector if necessary.

In a speech at a CBI conference on criminal justice today, Dr Neil Bentley, the confederation's director of public services, will say that if prison is meant to be about rehabilitation as well as punishment, then re-offending rates show the "colossal failure" of existing criminal justice policies.

"Punishment must go hand-in-hand with rehabilitation, otherwise taxpayers, including business will keep paying for an endless merry-go-round of crime – custody – court, with prison just used as a hugely expensive bed and breakfast facility that keeps criminals out of circulation," Dr Bentley is due to tell delegates.

Glyn Travis, the assistant general secretary of the Prison Officers' Association, said: "It tells me there's something wrong in society when people are breaking into prisons to bring in drugs, but the prisoners are quite happy to stay inside."

Inmates at a top security prison recently told Mr Straw that conditions there were like a "holiday camp".

"Prisoners receive a wage for being in prison, they receive a bed, a TV in all cells, Sky television in most areas for recreational use, free telephones, breakfast in bed on many occasions, cash bonuses for good behaviour," said Mr Travis. "And prison staff are forced to deal with them in such a subservient way. It's ridiculous."

A spokesman for Mr Straw said that prisoners may choose not to apply for early release as they believe they are unlikely to pass the risk ass-essments. Others may be un-able to provide an address to which they will be released.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2072030/%27Cushy%27-prisons-see-dozens-trying-to-break-in.html

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:31:34 AM EDT
[#1]
The world is truly doomed
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:33:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Even though the prison is cushy I bet there is no violence or its almost non existant especially on staff.

Yeah it is kind of sad that it is this way but there is a direct correlation between inmate privelages and prison related violence.

ETA before the BS flags compare assualts on prison staff in the UK to those of California DOC for example.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:57:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Well I may have a new retirement plan.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:02:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Thats what I thought......
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:02:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Awesome! I'm gonna go to Britain and commit some crimes. What's the minimum you can do for a good 1 year sentence at one of your barred hotels?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:03:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You get an en suite bathroom in Brixton Prison.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sovLeLbTbNc

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:20:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I personally think that the idea of throwing prisoners in a cage accomplishes nothing but make them hate society even more. Rehabilitation is the key.

Of course, if they can't be rehabilitated...Ol' Sparky comes calling.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:20:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks rough.  For a Brit.

You see, here in the states, if you get sent to re-roof the prison, you MIGHT get a beer
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:26:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is the biggest load of bollocks ive ever heard in my life
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:28:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I personally think that the idea of throwing prisoners in a cage accomplishes nothing but make them hate society even more. Rehabilitation is the key.

Now if you make the prisons self-sufficient, only providing food for the guards...you see, I have this idea that most crime, from simple B&E to violent criminals are all incapable of living in cooperative society.  By FORCING the prisoners to live in a surrogate cooperative society, they might be rehabilitated.

Yes, my plan is hardcore.  All food, utilities, clothing, water..everything necessary for life is made on site.  Electricity?  Better grow enough food to sell on the open market to afford it.  Or find something to sell...otherwise, no AC.

If that doesn't keep the population limited, then the prisoners have to make additions to the prison.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:28:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Of course, if they can't be rehabilitated...Ol' Sparky comes calling.

+1
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:31:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Good thing your prisions weren't always like that. Had it not been for overcrowded, rotting hulks on the Thames, my country wouldn't be here
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:32:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Now if you make the prisons self-sufficient, only providing food for the guards...you see, I have this idea that most crime, from simple B&E to violent criminals are all incapable of living in cooperative society.  By FORCING the prisoners to live in a surrogate cooperative society, they might be rehabilitated.

Yes, my plan is hardcore.  All food, utilities, clothing, water..everything necessary for life is made on site.  Electricity?  Better grow enough food to sell on the open market to afford it.  Or find something to sell...otherwise, no AC.

If that doesn't keep the population limited, then the prisoners have to make additions to the prison.

You would end up with a 1 race prison ruled by a dictator the rest wouldnt get a chance to re-habilate and would most likely be used for fertilizer on the prison farm
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:34:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Good thing your prisions weren't always like that. Had it not been for overcrowded, rotting hulks on the Thames, my country wouldn't be here

Most of the convicts were brought here for minor offences like pissing in the street they used to hang the hard ones 3 days after conviction.

Ever wonder why we aussies will just piss anywhere instead of trying to find a dunny?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:37:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You would end up with a 1 race prison ruled by a dictator the rest wouldnt get a chance to re-habilate and would most likely be used for fertilizer on the prison farm

Clever boy!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:39:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Ya mention Prisoners Of Her Majesty and all the Ozzies chime in!

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:43:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Dont worry when those pesky germans give you another hard time you can release us again to come save your arses
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:49:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dont worry when those pesky germans give you another hard time you can release us again to come save your arses

Australia - Never been invaded by anyone, but never missed any war worth fighting in over 100 years!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:54:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Australia - Never been invaded by anyone, but never missed any war worth fighting in over 100 years!

We got bombed by the japanese in WW2 but i think someone must have briefed them on supply line theory and they thought better of it

Invading Australia is like installing a shiny expensive new glass door on your toilet
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:14:25 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most of the convicts were brought here for minor offences like pissing in the street they used to hang the hard ones 3 days after conviction.

Ever wonder why we aussies will just piss anywhere instead of trying to find a dunny?

I thought it was to save water flushing. There's a drought on you know
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:17:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We got bombed by the japanese in WW2 but i think someone must have briefed them on supply line theory and they thought better of it

Invading Australia is like installing a shiny expensive new glass door on your toilet

With snakes in the dunny, redbacks on the seat and crocs in the bowl!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:25:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Suite prisons? Humpth! Chains, slanted concrete floor and a hot tin roof. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:30:28 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Suite prisons? Humpth! Chains, slanted concrete floor and a hot tin roof. Problem solved.

HMP Brixton is considered a 'tough' prison with 'poor' conditions'.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:42:41 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HMP Brixton is considered a 'tough' prison with 'poor' conditions'.

Certainly not the Brixton of old.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top