Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2008 3:18:31 PM EDT
With prices now ridiculous, do you even effort anymore to find the "cheap" gas?  I don't.  Hell, I'm even filling up with premium most the time now.  When gas was around $1.50, the difference between stations and grades "meant" something.  Not anymore.  What the hell is 3 or 4 bucks when a fill-up is $50?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I always go to Sams Club.

Always the cheapest, and I don't have to "shop".
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:21:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I never have. Waste of time. Won't save me much money when I'm only putting in 10-13 gallons. Certainly not enough to warrant driving around. I fill up at the Chevron station up the road from my office 90% of the time.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:22:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I never have.  What is saving a couple of cents per gallon going to do for me?  I drive for another ten minutes and save a dollar?  Whoop-dee-doo...
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
With prices now ridiculous, do you even effort anymore to find the "cheap" gas?  I don't.  Hell, I'm even filling up with premium most the time now.  When gas was around $1.50, the difference between stations and grades "meant" something.  Not anymore.  What the hell is 3 or 4 bucks when a fill-up is $50?

Yep. I use gasbuddy and the local grocery stores have programs for cents off per $ groceries purchased. It adds up.

Link (that is for my neck of the woods, but you can zoom the map out to the whole country and zoom back in on your neck of the woods)

One thing I will not do now is drive any distance for a bargain, since the cost of gas to get there would exceed the discount. I plan trips to roll a bunch of things together now.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Not really. I usually just fill at Costco, you are usually going to get a fair price for the area and usually a few cents cheaper. I have found other creative ways to save $$ on other items to offset higher gasoline costs.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i choose between 3 stations close to where i work.  speedway is always 3-4 cents cheaper

There's 2 places I will not go:

*Citgo.
*The Chevron here near my house.  They are inexplicably ALWAYS 10 cents more than any other station, for no reason whatsoever.  I refer to it as the "Our shit don't stink" station.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I never have. $0.03 a gallon over 15 gallons is only $0.45. A fill up every 2 weeks is only an extra $11.70 over the course of a year or $0.225 per week, hardly seems worth the effort
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:24:07 PM EDT
[#9]
i've never shopped for the lowest gas, its just wasting gas trying to save a few cents
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:24:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I always go to Sams Club.

Always the cheapest, and I don't have to "shop".

My Sam's Club is not always the cheapest, always verify with GasBuddy.

Plus, and this is a MAJOR FRICKEN BITCH WORTHY OF ITS OWN THREAD I got a $40 gas card at Sam's this week and went to use it in my car and it stopped at $39.99 and left $0.01 on my card CHEAP BASTARDS thought I wouldn't notice. Try it sometime.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll tell ya what I HAVE done:  slowed down.  My trip to work is almost all freeway, and I lock and load at 60 mph, no more.  This changes my mph in my CRV from 25 to 31.  THAT is an easy decision, and has FAR more impact than shopping stations.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i choose between 3 stations close to where i work.  speedway is always 3-4 cents cheaper

*Citgo.
*The Chevron here near my house.  They are inexplicably ALWAYS 10 cents more than any other station, for no reason whatsoever.  I refer to it as the "Our shit don't stink" station.

Say what you will about Chevron, but my car seems to run best on their gas. I'm also getting better mileage compared to using Safeway gasoline, which I stopped using exclusively because despite the "discount" I get they have raised their prices to the point where it still costs the same as anybody else.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'll tell ya what I HAVE done:  slowed down.  My trip to work is almost all freeway, and I lock and load at 60 mph, no more.  This changes my mph in my CRV from 25 to 31.  THAT is an easy decision, and has FAR more impact than shopping stations.

You should try Subnet speed© You can get 50, maybe 100 MPG driving at 42 MPH.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*Citgo.

Say what you will about Chevron, but my car seems to run best on their gas. I'm also getting better mileage compared to using Safeway gasoline, which I stopped using exclusively because despite the "discount" I get they have raised their prices to the point where it still costs the same as anybody else.

Dump a bottle of Techron (Chevron's fuel injector cleaner in your tank) and you will see an improvement. I had been using Gumout's cleaner regularly and didn't seem to do much. Techron kicked ass. (On sale this month at Advance Auto, 20 oz / $6 - with gas at $4 / gallon worth it)
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  He's doing that?  The minimum on the freeways here is 45 mph.  I may try that, though.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I dont even look any longer.
It is what it is....With prices well over $4, 5-10 cents a gallon doesnt even phase me.
I cant put an efforts into saving $1 when the total bill is $85
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1, much better idea.

I run Shell premium in my Beamer and don't shop around, they are all about the same and 40¢ savings would QUICKLY be lost driving around looking to save 40¢. Did I mention my time wasted?

Bill
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:39:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I always go where it is cheapest.  I want to encourage competition.

ETA: I use Gasbuddy, and don't drive anywhere I wouldn't already be to save the $$$.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#19]
the neighbor fills up at Chevron and swears the vehicle gets better mileage and performance than the Kwikimart gas even if they do pay alittle more

+1 on the Citgo,I refuse to patronize those places
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:40:36 PM EDT
[#20]
If I know I'm going by a station that is usually cheaper than the local one, I'll wait to fill there. Stations around me are spread out enough, that to drive to a cheaper on would burn the savings had I gone to my normal station.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I use diesel. (and between 2 trucks and 3 tractors I use a lot of it)  Diesel is running 4.55 to 4.69 here.

That's 14 cents.
14/469 is less than 3%

who gives a shit

it's depressing.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Nope, BJ's gas, always the lowest or next to the lowest.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Nope! Even if it's 15 cents difference in a 15 gallon fill-up it's only $2.25.  It costs more to drive around to find a lower price.

AM PM has it for $4.01 , the first time over $4 , and I saw another place for $4.19..............there are a couple other places higher but the places I get mine are going over $4 now...
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I do. Its 3.90 roght outside the neighborhood and 3.70 less than a half mile away.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a corporate gas card.  What's this "shopping around" you speak of?  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Just checked local gasprices.com, $3.68 a couple places in my town
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:02:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes at the end of a year it is a substantial savings .
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#28]
I have never shopped for gas.  I dont buy enough for it to make more than 20.00 bucks or so a year difference
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:12:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I've never understood why some people do this.

I know there are some places to avoid.

No sence in driving 10 miles out of the way to save 2 cents a gallon.

I spend so much on gas anyway, guess I'm just jaded towards that opinion.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Im close to Kroget so I get gas there.  I got a $330 Kroger giftcard for $300 so I just use it to buy gas
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#31]
There are usually some stations that offer significant (i.e. 4-5 cents/gallon) cheaper gas than the others. I patronize them during the weekday.

On Sunday, I drive a long way to church; there are even cheaper stations in town. I bring 2-3 five gallon cans along and fill them.

I will NOT drive more than a mile or so out of my way; at fifteen cents a mile, that eats up savings very quickly. (I get about 22-24 mpg in my car.) But this is when I'm shopping, with my gas cans.

If you haven't seen it yet, look at GASBUDDY.COM for the lowest/highest prices in town!  Gasbuddy.com has customized sites for the larger metro areas, for example: albuquerquegasprices.com.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#32]
+1 on gas buddy...
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#33]
gas jumped .10 overnight not worth driving 5 miles to save a few cents.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Ive never shopped .............ever.

And now living where I do , the two major grocery chains give 10-40 cent (per gallon)off cupons when you buy groceries.

No brainer.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  He's doing that?  The minimum on the freeways here is 45 mph.  I may try that, though.

No, he's not.

He's giving me shit from watching my video broadcasts of me in the car. I do the speed limit (being the law abiding guy that I am), and people tend to bust my chops for it. Curiously, no one has ever offered to pay my speeding tickets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top