Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2008 4:28:16 AM EDT
Why is it a 'district' and not a State or city?
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 4:29:45 AM EDT
[#1]

To hard to figure out how to make 51 stars  line up symmetrically.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 4:30:44 AM EDT
[#2]
..and why is our nation's capitol a place in Columbia?  
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 4:31:48 AM EDT
[#3]
It was built on land given by Virginia, and Maryland (swamp land I might add).  The founders didn't want one state to claim the countries capital.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 4:31:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Another question about DC...what did the supreme court rule?
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 4:36:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yes
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 4:42:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It was built on land given by Virginia, and Maryland (swamp land I might add).  The founders didn't want one state to claim the countries capital.

Seems kind of trivial.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 4:54:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Seems kind of trivial.

What's trivial about it? When the US was founded each "State" was supposed to be it's own country with the federal government helping to bind them together. Sort of like how the EU works today. It was more impartial for the head of this multinational goverment to be seperated from the states, hence the Federal City or Washington.

Since the civil war the lines between state and federal government have become more and more blurred until we've arrived at the point we're at today.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 4:58:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
..and why is our nation's capitol a place in Columbia?  

because when Columbus founded United America, back before there were any states, thats where he lived
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 4:59:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seems kind of trivial.

Not really.  Can you imagine the power the State of MD or Virgina would try to flex over the other states if they were the seat of the nation?  Additionally, the Founding Fathers wanted impartiality on the part of the nations Capital.  They wanted them to be able to act autonomously outside of the influence of the states.

Look back at the impact of Capitals on the European countries during the times of the Revolution.  The Founding Fathers also looked there and realized that they did not want that type of conflict or favoritism within any state.

Just as a note, both MD and Virginia gave property (much of it swamps as previously mentioned) to make DC.  The original area was 10 miles square as written in the Constitution (Article 1, Section 8) and extended across the Potomac.  Virgina wanted its part back and it was returned to them (I'm not totally versed on why), but the MD portion remained.

I'll be there next week for a week on Capitol Hill with some developing leaders with my office (USACE) and spending some good quality time with our Nation's leaders.

M
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 5:13:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seems kind of trivial.

Not really.  Can you imagine the power the State of MD or Virgina would try to flex over the other states if they were the seat of the nation?  Additionally, the Founding Fathers wanted impartiality on the part of the nations Capital.  They wanted them to be able to act autonomously outside of the influence of the states.

Look back at the impact of Capitals on the European countries during the times of the Revolution.  The Founding Fathers also looked there and realized that they did not want that type of conflict or favoritism within any state.

Just as a note, both MD and Virginia gave property (much of it swamps as previously mentioned) to make DC.  The original area was 10 miles square as written in the Constitution (Article 1, Section 8) and extended across the Potomac.  Virgina wanted its part back and it was returned to them (I'm not totally versed on why), but the MD portion remained.

I'll be there next week for a week on Capitol Hill with some developing leaders with my office (USACE) and spending some good quality time with our Nation's leaders.

M

When taken in context it makes sense. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 5:13:38 AM EDT
[#11]
our founding fathers were some smart mofo's.

things have shifted towards dumb over the years.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 5:48:44 AM EDT
[#12]
DC was intended to NOT be a state.

That's the deal.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 5:52:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Why is it a 'district' and not a State or city?

Because, in the eyes of the Founders, it was the only way to make sure that no state could claim to be 'more equal' because it was the site of the Federal capital...

By making it a 'Federal District', similar to a military base... It belongs to no one but the Feds - thus making it 'neutral'...

It was never supposed to have representation in Congress of any kind, nor any electoral votes...

It was also never supposed to be a populated city, either - that just kind of 'happened'....
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 5:53:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Off topic, but they haven't issued a decision yet... It's supposed to come in June...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top