Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2008 2:46:28 PM EDT
Kali is trying to tax plastic grocery bags!  

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,171218,00.html

LOS ANGELES —  If proposals by some California (search) lawmakers and environmentalists are ultimately approved, shoppers in the Golden State may soon find it easier to answer the "Paper or Plastic?" question at the register.

That's because proposed regulations would hit plastic bag consumers where it hurts ... in the wallet.

Click on the video box to the right of the story to watch a report by FOX News' Trace Gallagher.

Currently, over 90 billion plastic bags are used every year in the United States. And unfortunately, as many Americans know, a large number of those bags end up as litter, including in the nation's waterways.

Ed Reyes, a member of the Los Angeles City Council (search) is spearheading efforts to clean up the city's waterways. He said this influx of plastic litter "clogs [the waterways] up and makes it harder for the water to go through."

Now Reyes, as well as other lawmakers and activists, would like to see a tax on plastic bags as a way of encouraging buyers to opt for paper.

"We can easily go into a direction where we can put a tax, let's say 18 or 15 cents per plastic bag," Reyes said.
Paper or Plastic? The proposal is not without precedent. In 2002, Ireland levied a tax on plastic bags. Usage declined 90 percent.

But not everyone is enthusiastic about a plastic bag tax. Plastic bags make up a billion-dollar market in the United States, and manufacturers see other options as preferable to a tax.

Larry Johnson of Vanguard Plastics highlights recycling as the best option for controlling the litter that results from poor disposal of plastic products.

"We believe again, with the proper motivation, education and the opportunity for people to recycle the product, that a tax is not necessary," he said.

And plastic manufacturers might not be the only ones opposed to pushing the use of paper over plastic. In the long run, grocers might wince at the cost of paper bags. That's due to the fact that they cost nearly five times as much as their plastic counterparts.

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#1]
That figures. I guess I'll travel to the grocery store with pre-ban bags. Perhaps I'll hand them out to other consumers. I've got thousands of the damn things stuffed in a cabinet somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:04:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe it would stop the idiots at the local Ralphs from handing them out faster than snot.  I took my Mother to her local Ralph's and a carton of ice cream, a loaf of bread and a half a roasted chicken each got their very own bags.

At least you seem to save yours, there are a lot of idiots that just let them blow away.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:08:20 PM EDT
[#3]
ohh thats fucking great

I spose you could just re-use old plastic bags, or bring cloth ones or something. retarded when they're taxing everything like this, whats next, tax the air you breathe?
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
ohh thats fucking great

I spose you could just re-use old plastic bags, or bring cloth ones or something. retarded when they're taxing everything like this, whats next, tax the air you breathe?

shhh...   dont give them any ideas1!!!!
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:12:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah it's stupid but you can still get the paper option...until they tax you for killing trees to make bags.

Sometimes I hate this hole.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:15:47 PM EDT
[#6]
CA is just going tax happy on us Kalifornians because the gov screwed up and is in debt.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
CA is just going tax happy on us Kalifornians just because. the gov screwed up and is in debt.

fixed it for you.

if you think the gov. will stop taxing you if they get out of debt....
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:17:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I can't wait till they decide to shove a methane detector up your asshole so they can tax you for polluting the environment with your rectal emissions.

edit: I coulda swore I posted that here already...

edit2: nvm, found it
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:24:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I can't wait till they decide to shove a methane detector up your asshole so they can tax you for polluting the environment with your rectal emissions.

edit: I coulda swore I posted that here already...

edit2: nvm, found it

I can't wait till they decide to shove a methane sensor up your asshole to tax you for your rectal emissions.

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:47:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
ohh thats fucking great

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:50:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
ohh thats fucking great

Little old lady across the street from me used to crochet them into things like floor mats and the like.  They held up pretty well.  If they ended up in land fills I guess I wouldn't mind but the get to the dumps and blow out and or just blow around and end up everywhere, I guess if the idiots can't learn to throw them away right, maybe they should have to pay until they learn.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:52:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
CA is just going tax happy on us Kalifornians because the gov screwed up and is in debt.
Kali-fornians are heavily taxed, the problem is that the govt don't spend the money very wisely and/or monitor resutls.  This is typical of the Dem's philosophy, more money solves all your problems.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:58:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Insane taxation is the only way to battle such strange people as Glenn Beck, who when plastic bag bans are thrown about, starts campaigns to send the rest of the country's plastic bags straight into the heart of the beast!
archive.glennbeck.com/news/03282007-1.shtml
I remember listening to his show back when he was doing that. Funny stuff. I don't quite think he expected such a turnout

But in the end we are still stuck with a bunch of totally insane freaks that want to ban things just for the sake of banning things. Especially petroleum related products like plastic. Even though all their arguments are total BS. And banning plastic bags seems SOOO much safer to them than pissing off a bunch of gun owners
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 1:53:37 AM EDT
[#14]
First beer, now plastic bags. Wow that is one hell of a state. Sounds like they ran out of room at the crazy house, so they just let all the crazies roll up to the Capitol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top