Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2008 8:00:25 AM EDT
Hey all,

I'm looking for a fat 50 (SAW) ammo can for an ammo can server I'm building.  Can anyone recommend where I can good looking cans on the net?  

There's a lack of army surplus stores around where I live and I'm not sure if I'll get one in decent shape or beat to hell if I order one off a random internet site.

For anyone that's interested, I'm going to build it like this...

So it can be watertight when closed.  

I'm using a Via C7-based mini-itx board and probably going to throw 2x 1Tb drives in it, I'll VNC into it and use it for Torrent downloads / media streaming around the house.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 8:07:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I have no idea where to get the cans, but this seems like a cool project.  Have you considered going with liquid cooling so you can keep the lid closed?
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Not sure if they have your size, but every ammo can I've gotten from MidwayUSA was in great condition and reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 8:17:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have no idea where to get the cans, but this seems like a cool project.  Have you considered going with liquid cooling so you can keep the lid closed?

The top needs to be open so you have someplace to plug in the power, video, and internet cables!

To close the top, you'll have to disconnect everything, so it will be waterproof when not in use.

Also, this board will consume such little power (~30 watts when idling) I'll be able to slow the inlet / exhaust fans down to be whisper quiet.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 8:19:16 AM EDT
[#4]
www.sarcoinc.com/ advertised both .50 & .30cal ammo cans (new) in a prior issue of Shotgun News. I don't know if they are the "fat 50" cans you are looking for, but you might want to give them a call (their website is a little disorganized). I ordered some of both. If you give me the dimensions, I can check when I receive them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#5]
UncleBrady, this place is advertising SAW ammo cans: armygear.net

Credit goes to DepletedUranium who posted the link in this thread: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=335997&page=1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top